Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I need to be in the Kalamazoo area for a retiree picnic and need a campground recommendation.

We found Shady Bend out at Augusta. Any other suggestions for full service campgrounds in the area?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I need to be in the Kalamazoo area for a retiree picnic and need a campground recommendation.

We found Shady Bend out at Augusta. Any other suggestions for full service campgrounds in the area?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #3

I know that the County Parks of Kalamazoo has a park just north of the city and it has some full hookups, the park was named after the guy who had manufactured Checker Cabs, Marklin or Markam, something like that. Had friend stay there and he said it was fine. Maybe someone from that area could help you, or you could call County of Kalamazoo, sure they are listed on internet under Governments.
Good luck
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We go there often to see relatives and there is not much to choose from for large rigs. However there is a place south of Kalamazoo that is pretty nice. I'll have to look it up and get back to you. When are you going?
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Here it is:

Klines Resort

We toured it and it is very nice. It is a seasonal park but it is very well kept.

We actually stay at my brother-in-laws place nearby, but I periodically use the dump station at Klines Resort. I would stay there anytime.

If you can get one of the sites down by the lake. There's not many of them but it is very nice there.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #6

There isn't a lot to choose from in the immediate Kalamazoo area. Of course, living in Kalamazoo we go elsewhere to camp.

What part of Kalamazoo do you need to be near?

There are several campsites at the county fairgrounds. I know there is elec and water hook up, and a dump station. I can't help on the rates. The fairgrounds are located just east of the city limits on Lake St.

If you want something nicer, check the Decatur area about 30 miles west off I-94. There are several nice campgrounds in that area, although none are "resort" types.

About 25 miles north on US 131 is a new park called Hidden Ridge. It is a very nice park with all paved pads and a private lake. This one has full hookups including cable tv. It is just south of the Wayland exit. I've stayed there a couple of times, very nice.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
I'm retired Upjohn and am coming in for the annual retiree picnic on Sept 8th in Portage.

Looks like Hidden Ridge may be our answer. I think I'd rather commute that stay in a County ParK. My tow tehicle is about 30 feet long and then my fiver is right at 38...minus the overlap, we're about 64 feet. Think we can maneuver around in Hidden Ridge?

Thanks for your info.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #8

Hidden Ridge is at Exit 59 the gun lake exit on US131 and has lots of room for you rig. Stayed with friends once, they had just opened a couple of weeks before and did not have all the sites ready, but lots of room. When I lived in Mi. I drove that 32 miles to kazoo each working day. My son lives south of Old upjohn Company and thats 42 miles from Gun Lake area.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #9

MakinSmoke,

Hidden Ridge is exactly 31 miles from my driveway in the Westnedge and Kilgore area. It is a very nice location. A few miles north there is a General RV dealer with lots of goodies if you need anything. Continue a bit further just south of Grand Rapids and American RV has now opened a Camping World (although not as large as most Camping Worlds).

You can check out Hidden Ridge here. I think it will have most of the information you need. They have lots of sites that will fit your rig with no problem.

You also need to be aware that there is currently construction at the I-94 and 131 interchange. Currently you can go from westbound 94 to north 131, but that will close sometime in the future. Southbnd 131 to eastbnd I-94 is also currently accessible.

Usually the cheapest gas in the area is just off I-94 (to the north) at Westnedge. Every once in a while it will be cheaper at the Plainwell/Otsego exit. You will be passing both locations during the commute.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
Thanks for all the good information. Sounds like Hidden Ridge is the place we are looking for. I spent 7 years in Kalamazoo from 1970-77 and have visited numerous times since but have not been back since 2003 when Phaarmacia was bought by Pfizer. Will be good to see a few of my old friends again.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #11

Hope the trip goes well for you. If there is any thing I can do to help, please let me know.