Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I can guarantee you I'd pay $72 to avoid staying in ANY motel.
X-2,
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried to respond to this post earlier this morning but first, this site was down for maintenance. Then, when the site came back up, I could not find this post.

There are always KOA coupons available in magazines, online or at RV shows for either a free night or a half price night. KOA's are independent franchises. The franchise owner has to pay a fee as well as a percentage of each reservation in order to have the KOA name attached to their campground. I have stayed in KOA's in the past and probably will in the future. They have high standards and offer good value, IMO.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
As a retired RV'r I attempt to not stop at KOA,s but will if the spot they are located is to my advantage. I believe you will find most KOA,s offer several things to keep young family's busy, such as swimming pools, mini golf playground equipt, indoor activities, etc. Keeping children active after a days driving inactivity has it's merits and providing that equiptment probably cost the owners a lot moore than providing a parking spot and maybe a pool
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #18

Some KOAs get panned in reviews for not having level sites. Between my levelers and 4 chunks of 2x8 I have never had a problem at those KOAs. So the "grain of salt" filtering of reviews is true. One camper gave a fine park a 1-star review because "there were too many people on bycycles". KOAs are overnight in-route stops for us because they are dependable. And if I was cornered into a $72 per night stay vs a motel, well, you would not see me packing an overnight bag. I can take an occasional hit!
Our average for KOA overnights is about $35. FHU. Pull thru.
I would not stay in one long-term. They serve our purpose.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
About 40 years ago when we traveled with our 3 kids and a dog we went to a KOA. The RV fee was so much for a water connection, extra if you wanted electricity, same with sewer connection. Ok, but when there was an extra charge for a dog, and extra fee per kid I felt that it was too expensive. I haven't stayed at one ever since that time. We do have choices and for that I'm glad. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
The old saying about folks with a $250,000 Coach wanting a $10 camping spot comes to mind.
Sir - If the purpose of this remark is to call me cheap, I want you to know that I recent that, and I do take offence. Remarks like this is uncalled for.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I once stayed at the KOA that is located off I-40 at the south entrance to the Grand Canyon. They charged me $ 120.00 per night for a 2 day stay. I don't know if they made a mistake and overcharged me or what !!!!! I tore up my KOA card and have never used a KOA since.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
I wonder what makes KOA think that a simple campground site is worth over $72 per night to anyone?

Supply and demand, free market economy, capitalism?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how a KOA stays in business, but obviously many believe their pricing structure of "keep on adding" is OK. I will never use one unless there is no other option as I agree, they are outrageous.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pricing

We used to go to the KOA in Santa Cruz, CA a couple of time a year. Dirty, very tight spots, and one of the noiser campgrounds we've been in. They are now $98 a night OFF SEASON! I have no idea what their in season price is.

We used to go there for the Halloween weekend because there was a park wide Halloween party. Then they doubled the rates for that weekend. Some will say it's their park, they can charge anything they want. That's all true. I expressed my opinion with my wallet and went elsewhere. We found a really nice park that's less than half what KOA demands, it's nicer, cleaner, friendlier, and has a huge area for the fur kids to play. Been going there for years.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #25

Stopped at a few RV parks KOA and others on our X North America tour 2 years ago, a week to 10 days before the seasonal shut down, pools drained, activity center locked up , laundry winterized.... still charging full summer rate .
JMHO. If more parks offered a bare bones overnight area, water , power and a free dump site for the morning, at a reasonable rate, there would be fewer RVs at Walmart. When I roll in at 5 and expect to be out by 8 the next morning, $40 and up is way to much. You hear that park owner are approching their city councils for by-laws to stop Walmart and others allowing overnight RV parking, and closing interstate rest areas to the 8 hour stays. Well I think their rates are to blame for their lack of business.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #26

I stay at KOAs on occasion, because they are either convenient or close to the attraction. I have reservations at the KOA in St. Mary, MT this summer and another at the Rapid City KOA for 4th of July. I also have reservations at the Kissimmee KOA in December. That said one thing I will NOT do is ever buy propane from KOA. I did that once and it cost me $125.00 to fill my motorhome tank.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Most campgrounds are a seasonal business. These folks have to make a living plus maintain the facility and support the gubermint. The old saying about folks with a $250,000 Coach wanting a $10 camping spot comes to mind.
Doesn't matter what you drive or how much money you have to throw around, nobody like to feel like their being fleeced.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
. I have reservations at the KOA in St. Mary, MT
It's been a number of years since I've been in the St. Mary,KOA, I hope they have improved that park. Took me 25mins to level my 5th wheel, in a pull through, and I know I'd never level my coach in any of the sites that I can remember.