Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
KOA ranting

We've been RVing for over 10 years and have managed to avoid going to KOA for many years because of their high prices. We are planning a long trip and unfortunately cannot avoid them. There are a few areas where there is nothing nearby except KOA.

I find it really amazing that they can not only charge $56.00 for an overnight stay and then charge $3.00 extra for use of their amenities. What the heck is the $56.00 for?????

They try to tell me about all their great amenities (nothing special that every other RV park doesn't have) and with all the rising costs they need to charge the extra $3.00 to keep up with it. I said well, we're coming in at the end of the day and just want to hook up, eat, watch some tv (with our own satellite) and go to bed we don't need any amenities and I resent paying $56.00 just for the use of their electricity.

If that's not bad enough they charge my credit card when the reservation is made and if I cancel (doesn't matter how far ahead) they charge me $10.00. Now I realize I don't have many options in this particular case but I will NEVER stay in another KOA again except as a VERY LAST resort. I will make sure that we plan our trips so that we can find another place to park or even a Walmart.

It isn't bad enough in ordinary times but when the economy is so bad I find it in poor taste to be greedy. I have NEVER found KOA to be anything special and for just overnight parking who needs anything fancy.

Sorry for my ranting but after making reservations for our trip and never having to pay more than $30 I find $45-50 by the KOA's I had to call aphalling.

Nedra
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Nedra, I think I would dry dock and run the generator if it was just over night. The is no way you use $40.00 fuel for the night.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree and in most cases where we can't find any other place we will do that. Unfortunately there are 2 nights that we need to have a place to fill up our fresh water tanksand empty our holding tanks because we will be dry camping for several days. There are no other RV parks within a "reasonable" drive and in one case the only other RV park or place to dump is probably several hours out of our way.

If we had a place to dump before we dry camped we would. In almost 10 years we've not been any place where we had such a hard time finding places but we're going to be in NY and Ct and the pickings are slim.

Nedra
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

If you really have such a problem with them, you should not be spending your $$'s with them. Business runs on the $$'s and apparently they have something you want/need so you , and others are willing to pay the price for the services at that location.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Nedra,
I hear ya. For our summer trip with the Gkids I made many reservations. CG owners are the only group, within the hospitality industry, that could care less about the recession. The hotel, car rental and amusement parks all seem to be advertising lower rates and special packages. No, not the CG industry. They continue to raise their prices and charge their fees. Unfortunately, in a few places this summer, I am like you. The pickings are slim and I'm stuck. For what we will use versus what we will pay, I will not stay at many of these CGs again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yeah, the only discount KOA gives (unless you buy their Value Kard) is the 1 wknd a year half price wknd. Pretty stingy, IMO.

On the subject of cg discount packages, I did get one about a month ago from a cg in IN where they were advertising camp consecutive weekends & stay the week for free. Essentially pay for 4 nights, get an additional 5 nights free. That's a pretty good deal.

There's a cg in OH that's offers 10% off the 2nd wknd for camping consecutive wknds (15% off a 3rd wknd) if you leave your disconnected rig on an available site during the week for free (I guess you could still camp in it & use the genny). They have a frequent camper program where if you save your receipt from your first camping stay, you get 10% off a second camping stay & 15% off any camping stays thereafter. And, early in the season, they have several half-price weekends. We go back to this cg year after year to take advantage of their discounts. It's a win-win: they get our guaranteed business & we get the discounts.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We use Passport America when ever we can...love that 50% off discount....on our current corros country trip it has been the majority of the time. In 30 years of RVing, I have stayed in KOA's maybe 2 or 3 times....they were always overpriced, and in most of the ones I have had to stay in, not special in any way. So far, with almost 3 weeks of travel and staying in PPA parks when we could, we are averaging $26 per night....While some of the PPA parks wouldn't be my choice for a long term stay, they are fine for overnights...
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
CG owners are the only group, within the hospitality industry, that could care less about the recession. The hotel, car rental and amusement parks all seem to be advertising lower rates and special packages.
I agree...Case in point..I was thinking about going to Myrtle Beach Travel Park this summer. This years rates are pushing $60 a night. I asked 'is there any discount for a 2 week stay". No.... Next year I'll really have to think hard about spend ing a week at MB. We usually like to go there every 3-4 years, but with either high fuel costs or this recession, we are staying closer to home.

Even the State Park are starting to get pricey.... In Ohio, It used to be over-night fees covered
10% of the operating expenses. Now that is about 45%....Most are pushing $30 a night for a W/E site....

We camp in PA. State Parks which 2 years ago I was paying $102 for 7 nights. This year it went up to $173 for a 7 night stay.

What are you going to do? pay it.....

Getting back to the KOA subject...As a youth we camped at a few KOA's. But I haven't camped there in 30 years. One day just to see what all the hype is I'll spend a weekend only if it is one of their BOGO weekends.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #9

Are they charging $56 a night because they are in a prime stop over location where people will dump their holding tanks and fill their fresh water tanks from boondocking for 2-3 nights? If you think about it as $56 for 3 nights, the cost is reasonable?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #10

Generally I Do agree, on the KOA'S,

However I must give credit where Due.

We stayed our last night on the road at a KOA in Ohio near Lima I think the spelling is Wakopedea or close. That spot was great, fantastic Hosts, Homemade Pizza,
We will likely stay here again It was about $33 for the night.

Rick
Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Rick,

That KOA is in Wapakoneta & it gets consistently high ratings on campgroundreviews.com's site. Haven't been to that one yet, but it's on my list for a BOGO sometime.

Jim,

The BOGO wknd for KOA's is May 8-9 this yr. Even at this late date there's probably sites available if you're really wanting to see what the hype is about....... Oops (edit), just read your reply in the N Cntrl forum. You'll have to wait for the next BOGO wknd then.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
This is totally off-topic, but your are about the 3rd Nedra I have ever heard of. The first is my sister. There was a boutique in Boca Raton called, 'Nedra's' after the owner. Now there's you.

My sister will be thrilled to hear about another.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a KOA card and use it mostly as a last resort. It does get me a 10% discount - big deal!

Maybe this will help someone out:

RV DUMPSTATIONS BY STATE
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Key west KOA is a nice place. 95 Bucks a day. I think it has been sold and going to be condo's.