Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #15

Howdy!

We had plan on staying a month on our trip to Newfoundland to get our monies worth out of the ferry cost. Once we arrived we changed our return crossing and stayed over three months. We been fulltiming for twelve years and LaScie Newfoundland our favorite in all our travel.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sanger Park is nice ... ask for a space along the river ...
Old 11-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #17

We Loved our Newfi Trip. Been to Alaska but Newfoundland and a short trip to Labrador was by far the best trip ever. We boondocked the entire trip and went from one end of the Island to the other. Loved the Celtic Music, the mummers, and the food. The locals are wonderful people. We bought fresh Lobster right off the boat. Also had clams, mussels, and Fresh Fish. Their Cod is wonderful. Never thought I'd trade Halibut for Cod, but I did pound for pound.

Go to the local variety shows. We took our booze with us and were prepared to pay the duty, but were not asked about booze at the border. Two locals took us Cod fishing in Twillingate. Locals brought us canned (bottled) veggies, fruit, jelly, and even moose. We attend every church dinner we could. All homemade cooking. I believe they are called Jiggs Dinners? Some roads are a bit rough, but we generally go slow and enjoy the scenery. I was amazed that very few cars passed us, they just followed along at our pace, no hurry. I would love to go back. I believe we were there 5 or 6 weeks.

In route in Nova Scotia we parked the two rigs in a pasture and went to town for supplies. Upon our return there was a note on the Windshield which read "June 9, '11 Welcome to N.S. Stay as long as you like. Bob " I still Treasure this note. This sense of hospitality really sums up our Canadian visit.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
We spent 40 days on the island in 2016 enjoyed it immensely. Here are some other options. We also took the ferry to Labrador; camped near the ferry landing and traveled to Red Bay a UNESCO World Heritage site (do not take you MH drive your toad - road was rough).

If you are so inclined there are two islands south of Newfoundland they belong to France. They can be reached by passenger ferry. We spent 3 nights in a B&B and enjoyed the French Culture, Food and walking the narrow streets of the quaint village and island of St Pierre and Miquelon (don't forget your passports).

Be sure to visit Quidi Vidi, 4km North of St.john. Enjoy a delicious meal at Mallard Cottage and a cool Iceburg Beer at the Quidi Vidi brewery in the blue bottles.

In Twillingate enjoy a performance of the local singing group the "Split Peas" at The Orange Lodge, 118 Main St. You will get a feeling of the local culture.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/nl/redbay

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...e-and-miquelon

Mallard

https://quidividibrewery.ca/

Safe Travels and the JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #19

Maratime trip

We were up last summer. As one poster referred as a pre retirement vacation. My wife loves my Kenventures.We tripped from PA through New England up Maine,into NB,Fundy NP,across bridge to PEI NP,Cavandish,ferry to NS,did Halifax,parked MH at Cape Breton KOA overnight w/electric($12),toad up around Cabot Trail, Highlands NP one night @BB at top near Meat Cove, back to N.Sidney, shorter overnight ferry to NL up to Gros Morne NP across to Terra Nova NP, on to St Johns Pippy Park, long overnight ferry back to NS, back home 17 days total. NL is vast,beautiful but lots of not much between any populated areas. They get some extreme weather up there too. We packed warm gear and it was needed even in July under 50f. Blustery. Yes,the ferries are costly,but US dollars are on the high now vs Cd.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #20

Couple side notes. Concerning the weather, it can get windy. The one town is called Wreckhouse, heading up to St. Anthony. Apparently trains have been blown off the tracks in gale force winds. I actually lost a part of my roof going up to St. Anthony. My older Winnebago 37g had the famous delaminating roof problem so common on those older Winnis. The wind found the defect. We have decided since my first posts, that we are going back to NFLD next July. Looking forward to returning there, and will be staying on the island at least three weeks. As noted by others, beer prices are quite high in all of the Maritime provinces. We like to stock up in Quebec on our way through. Its much cheaper than Ontario, and about half of what they want down east.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As a retired airline pilot who was very close to the events on 9/11, be sure to appreciate the hospitality of the Newfoundlanders who very graciously welcomed many, many unexpected guests.

Also, even though it's pretty late in the tourist season (many campgrounds closed), the annual Celtic Colours ceilidh (look that one up) on Cape Breton is, as the website suggests, a life-changing event: https://celtic-colours.com/about/ Although it's attended by thousands, it feels unusually intimate, mostly due to the remarkable hospitality.

I'm so envious of your itinerary!

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #22

Wow to everyone and a HUGE THANK YOU for all the useful feedback and things to do. It's so much appreciated. We for sure are looking forward to an awesome and looooong trip to enjoy the deeper parts of the Maritimes we've not yet touched, as well spend a bit more time in NS this next trip.

Once again, a HUGE THANKS for taking the time to share

STBFT
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip