Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The wife & I are looking at vacation options for July of next year. Her job will only allow her to be away for two weeks at a time, so I’d like to keep our travel down to a day or a day and a half. One of the options that we are considering is Lake Tahoe. Even tough we’ve both lived in California for most of our lives, neither of us have ever been there. I have several questions though.

Has the area recovered from the fires? Where is a good place to set up camp? What is there to see & do?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The wife & I are looking at vacation options for July of next year. Her job will only allow her to be away for two weeks at a time, so I’d like to keep our travel down to a day or a day and a half. One of the options that we are considering is Lake Tahoe. Even tough we’ve both lived in California for most of our lives, neither of us have ever been there. I have several questions though.

Has the area recovered from the fires? Where is a good place to set up camp? What is there to see & do?

Craig

Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Kel

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Tahoe is GORGEOUS! My last trip was in July '03. We stayed at Sugarpine Pt. St. Park. It's beautiful and well kept. I don't know how big your rig is but when I was there it had a 27' trailer limit. I don't know if it's more for mh's. Sugarpine is near Tahoe City but we drove all around the lake. We spent our time hiking, biking, sightseeing, our friends went rafting on the Truckee River. Sandharbor is a lovely(but popular)beach near Incline Village. We're thinking of going next year and did a little research on Campground By The Lake and Nevada Beach. The former is right in South Lake and the latter is near it on the Nevada side. Both look very pretty and accomodate big rigs. You can't go wrong with Tahoe. Kel.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Kel. I've done a lot of Tahoe research since getting no responses after my original post.

My MH is 39', and you are correct about the length limits at Sugarpine. Many of the smaller CG's have similar limits.

Campground By The Lake does accommodate larger rigs, but sadly they are already booked up the entire month of July.

Another option was Tahoe Valley, but they are extremely expensive, despite the bad reviews they get on RV Park Reviews.com.

Unfortunately a Tahoe trip is not looking do-able for us at this point.

Craig

Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
You might look into RV parks in the Minden/Gardnerville area and also in Carson City. Both are within easy driving distance of Tahoe and are centrally located enough that you can easily take in some of the other attractions of the area. Virginia City is always a fun day.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sharbra:
You might look into RV parks in the Minden/Gardnerville area and also in Carson City. Both are within easy driving distance of Tahoe and are centrally located enough that you can easily take in some of the other attractions of the area. Virginia City is always a fun day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll do that....thank you!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest the Coachland RV Park in Truckee, CA. It is only 20 minutes from the lake and can accomodate your length.

http://www.coachlandrvpark.com/
psc907 is offline   Reply With Quote