Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Las Vegas Oasis RV Resort - PIGEONS

Earlier this year we stayed at the Las Vegas Oasis RV Resort for a week and had a lot of trouble with pigeons building nests under our slide toppers. Removed the nests more than once but the next day the pigeons were back building again.

I hosed out one slide top (under the topper) and that seemed to just send the pigeons to a slide on the other side of the coach. We would open the coach door to go out and one or two pigeons would fly either from the coach roof or under a topper. Seemed if they weren't walking around on the roof they were nest building.

Went to Home Depot and picked up an owl decoy with a swivel head. That didn't scare the pigeons at all, maybe they liked it.

Our neighbor in the next site said there was another coach that was at the park for a few months and they had constant trouble with pigeons building nests under his toppers. Apparently he tried everything he could think of to keep the pigeons away but nothing worked. (The neighbor was in a fifth wheel with no toppers).

Does anyone have an opinion on this being an issue at the Las Vegas Oasis RV Resort park, we are scheduled to go back again but I am beginning to wonder if I want to put up with the hassle?
NowGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #2

FWIW: We were there middle of May just for a week (been over 5 years prior we were there for a few days), and didn't come across any issues with pigeons or even recall seeing any of note.

Have you spoken with the park if it's a known issue at maybe specific times of the year and what they propose to avoid it happening again???

I know on the farms we found ways, but not sure if they would be conducive for an RV Park in town so to speak.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
FWIW: We were there middle of May just for a week (been over 5 years prior we were there for a few days), and didn't come across any issues with pigeons or even recall seeing any of note.

Have you spoken with the park if it's a known issue at maybe specific times of the year and what they propose to avoid it happening again???

I know on the farms we found ways, but not sure if they would be conducive for an RV Park in town so to speak.
I too thought of ways that worked when we were living out of town that would not be conducive to use in an RV Park

We did not speak with the park about it, assuming my complaint would fall on deaf ears... I probably should not have assumed that and I will in fact give the park a call to inquire before we go back to the Oasis. We like the park other than the pigeon issue so it probably is worth talking with them about it.

The neighbor seemed to indicate the problem was pervasive for months for those with slide toppers this past winter/spring, and I am very curious to know if anyone else has run across the pigeon onslaught at the Oasis. We were there in April this year for a week.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:37 PM   #4

Could it be the section you were parked? I just breezed through some reviews of the park and found only one mention of pigeons/crows/ravens at the overflowing dumpsters.

Hopefully, you can be in a different area this time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #5

Just another thought, besides fact they may have been nesting for spring chicks etc. You know those needle type metal spike type things businesses put on top of wood structures to stop birds alighting on where they poop a lot below??? Is there a version or wire type brush (large) you could cut down and place at the edges of the toppers or some kind of netting (Strawberry/vine type???) that you could adapt something so they can't get under them?

Just trying to think outside of the box here somewhat. However, absolutely I would for sure be speaking with the park, so they are made aware. If enough folks comment eventually they'll do something. Also as 2G's above has suggested maybe ask to be in a different area of the park away from garbage bins etc.

When we have stayed there on occasion over the years, as much as we adore animals, we always request to be in the non-pet area because years ago we got tired of prior folks that didn't clean up or their pups had very loose stools and was still present on the grass then our feet and also the odour from concentrated pee around the site, just like when you approach a dog run area it's too concentrated on a small patch of ground and stinks to high heaven at times. Especially in high heat areas!
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #6

We had problems with pigeons at our storage place. Guy next to me tried the owls... they didn't work. I got some flash tape and put that up... worked great. Since then, I've used is at home and at an RV park we've stayed at. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bird-B-Gone...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-10-2023, 03:49 PM   #7

We were in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park early one spring for a volunteer job. The woodpeckers were doing their mating thing and pecking at their reflection in the mirrors and only the bedroom window. We finally resorted to taking a black plastic bag & cutting strips to let some air into the window & taped it on the window. We also covered the outside mirrors. No more birds.

Perhaps doing a temporary taping to cover the area above the slide would do it if you have problems. However, perhaps it won't even be an issue this time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #8

I had a Robin start a nest on my front tire at Elkhart Campground when I overnighted back in April. I felt bad I had to ruin it’s one day work.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:17 PM   #9

Stay at LVM. Pigeons canít afford it there.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:07 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Stay at LVM. Pigeons canít afford it there.
72 ft long with trailer and don't want to unhook. LVM won't work
Old 06-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We had problems with pigeons at our storage place. Guy next to me tried the owls... they didn't work. I got some flash tape and put that up... worked great. Since then, I've used is at home and at an RV park we've stayed at. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bird-B-Gone...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you PanJH, you may have nailed a solution. I am in Lowers and HD poking around a lot and I have never heard of the flash tape. I definitely will give it a try, we are back at Oasis in Oct.

Tags
gas, oasis