Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed at a COE campground in Oklahoma recently with a 4 or 5 pm checkout! We didn’t even think to check since we arrived about 3. The gate attendant was very curt saying we were just lucky our site was ready!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #16

Despite the check in/out times, it’s still worth it. This COE park is very nice and with the senior discount we have full hookups for only $14/night. Now if the weather would cooperate so we can do some SUP on the lake! It’s been too windy and now it’s raining.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
You never know what to expect at each COE campground. We have been fortunate and have not had to wait for our reserved site to become vacant, but that could happen at any time. We stay in COE parks a lot, and think they are the best; even with their late checkin times.

This morning around 10:00 am the host at Beard's Bluff Park near Ashdown, AR called us out of the blue and said the site we had reserved was now vacant and we could check in at any time. Now that's the first time that has happened! A lot of times we will call ahead and see if it is vacant, and sometimes we just get there and hope it is vacant. So far we have not had to wait, but expect it to happen one day, and we will just have to wait.

I still think it is absurd to have those late checkin times, but that's their method for whatever reason. Does anyone know the reasoning behind the late times?

Thanks,

My guess is to allow for a good day of recreation on the day people are leaving. Since most COE parks involve water it allows weekenders to have two days on the water rather than just one.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
My guess is to allow for a good day of recreation on the day people are leaving. Since most COE parks involve water it allows weekenders to have two days on the water rather than just one.
That makes sense since COE parks are around water. The day we got here though it was so windy no one was on the water. Didn’t see anyone fishing either so I can’t figure out why some people stayed so late. Plus they’d have to drive in the dark and still deal with the very strong wind.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #19

I called Alley Creek Park at Lake O' The Pines near Jefferson, TX this morning around 10 am and asked if our reserved site there was vacant or not. The nice lady said that they had not checked out yet, but would call when they left. About an hour and a half later she called and said the site was ready for us. Most of the time COE parks are friendly and I like them. No bad stays yet. Our park we just left, Beard's Bluff on Millwood Lake in AR was only $7.50 per night (with our old geezer lifetime card); cheapest I have ever seen, and with 50 amp electric also.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 PM   #20

COE parks on lake Somerville and Canyon lake in Texas will not allow you to occupy a site before 3 pm even if is unoccupied. If you want to check-in b/4 3 requires you book the day before. At Canyon if you arrive b/4 3pm you have to park off COE property until 3. This was started 2/3 years ago.

Have camped at 30 plus COE campgrounds and these are the only ones I have encountered that prevent an early check-in. Hope this is not a trend.

Communicated to both both parks that I considered this a poor customer service policy. Never rec'd a response.
MBF Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:46 PM   #21

Not everyone drives all day long for a late check-in. Very poor policy if this is starting!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Not everyone drives all day long for a late check-in. Very poor policy if this is starting!
It actually seems common at COE campgrounds. At least the ones we’ve looked at. State parks are more normal.

We were just wondering if people actually stay that late to checkout and apparently some do. We’ll plan accordingly next time.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
And not everyone leaves at dawn so that they can arrive early in the day.
Many of us would appreciate not having to check out by 10am so we can have more time to stay and enjoy the park. So having a late checkout, and therefore a later check in, would be great for me.
Yep, it could be annoying having to wait to check in, but you get it back on the other end of the stay.
It's just another one of those rules that is going to make some people happy, and annoy others. Since they CAN'T please everyone, they might as well do what pleases them.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #24

Talk about late. The people in the site across from us arrived at just after 10 PM last night.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #25

Check in or out late.

Some of the COE cgs in our area lock the gate about 9PM and don't open it till 8AM. It better be a real emergency if you want out before 8. I was trying to use one for a place to stay for several weeks while working in the area but they would not let me out early.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote