Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Late Summer Trip ideas in the era of Covid-19?

My wife is wanting to take a vacation, she is an administrator for a local public agency so has been working lots of hours the last few months while 90%+ of her staff has been at home on paid leave. Given all that is going on, it looks like her first chance to take any time off will possibly be for a couple of weeks in mid September.

Which brings me to the point of this thread, where to go? We will be starting off in western Louisiana, possibly wanting to end the trip in central Kansas, as my wife has a work conference that is still currently on planned for just after her potential vacation dates, and has a cousin there that she would like to see.

Ideally we would like somewhere with limited amounts of public interaction, as we are both in that elevated risk group for Covid-19 due to health issues. Therefore my thoughts tend towards outdoor scenic locations, etc. We did a Grand Canyon trip in October, including Santa Fe, NM, Four corners, Goosenecks state park, UT, and Page AZ. We have also done Branson, MO, Hot Springs, and Eureka Springs, AR in the last couple of years. As well as Yellowstone, and southern WY, and NW Colorado, and multiple trips to the Texas Hill Country, and West Texas. Ending up in Kansas at the end of the trip is optional, and is of course dependent on the conference being held, etc.

Exact dates are yet to be determined, but we are planning on 14-16 days for the trip, with departure from Louisiana being likely sometime in the week after Labor Day.

Any thoughts?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

Sorry I can't help with any locations around your area .

Just wanted to say ; Stay safe, and hopefully the " Second Wave " of infections doesn't trash any plans you do happen to make.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #3

Hopefully not, the first wave caused cancellation of our last planned trip, which was supposed to be a long weekend in New Orleans the last week of March.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #4

Two weeks isn't a lot of time to get across the Plains. However, what about SE Colorado - Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park then up to Buena Vista area Leadville. To get to Kansas take 24 east to I-70.

Or... north to Door County, Wisconsin

Both will give you some nice Fall color.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #5

I had to look up Door Country, WS, it looks interesting, but at 1,250 miles away I am not so sure if it is the right choice, nearly the entirety of Colorado is closer (Laramie, WY is right at 1,200 miles away, Four Corners Monument is 1,160). That is not to say that this is the direction we want to go, just there to put distance into perspective.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
..................couple of weeks in mid September.

..... where to go? .....starting off in western Louisiana, ....wanting to end the trip in central Kansas, .....

Ideally we would like somewhere with limited amounts of public interaction, as we are both in that elevated risk group for Covid-19 due to health issues. Therefore my thoughts tend towards outdoor scenic locations, ...
.. Ending up in Kansas at the end of the trip is optional...

Exact dates are yet to be determined, but we are planning on 14-16 days for the trip, with departure from Louisiana being likely sometime in the week after Labor Day.

Any thoughts?
Your hearing from a Guy who Loves Colorado - So guess where I'd recommend.

Colorado in the Fall is Hard to beat - Focus would be on the Passes and the Aspen - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - so if that didn't get you then - I'll post a video at the end to stir the pot.

Couple things to note - September is "Normally Great" as the kids are back in School - but that is changing in Colorado, so keep that in mind, as many may still be Home Schooled - what better place to teach your kids than in the Rockies of Colorado.

I'll recommend a place that meets all of your requirements and would be what I'd call Extremely Safe! Lake City, Colorado. with -0- deaths and 34 cases /10,000 people think you are good to go there. - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...infections-us/

A few images from a local Pro - https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...n/photostream/ - just imagine all this with the Aspen turning Golden Yellow - Heaven!

So with your history - it appears you are into drivig so this is doable - as you leave to go to Kansas, you can easily sneak out on RT 160 through Walsenburg and on to your Kansas destination.

Just a note or two about the Area - It's just Great - it is a Single destination spot that is not close to much and requires you to want to be THERE, so it tends to be less crowded and very Friendly. It has a few CampGrounds (3 in town, and a few in the foothills) that should still be open through September (Call to confirm) and the Day trips into the Surrounding areas will rival almost every National Park in the Country (Personal Opinion, but with the Images I'm pretty sure you can see my Point)

So there you Go, might suggest you rent a 4X4 for a day or two, if you are not Dragging one now as the 4X4 drives are second to None.

Are there other options - sure but you asked and I suggested what likely checks all your boxes - might even be so good that you will make this an Annual Trip.

Hope this Helps, Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

Thanks, will add it to the list, my wife car is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland edition with Active Drive 2, but it is not set up for TOAD duty yet, there is a dealer TSB that needs to be done for steering wobble and we need to install a base plate (already have it).
Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wherever you go, if they take reservations I would make them now. Just find out what the cancellation policy is beforehand. Here in Ohio / Pennsylvania State park's, even the mid-week spots are going fast. Might be Sept. when you go, but the area you plan for might be prime time for that area, like the color change in Colorado.

Myself I have reserved all my 4 trips (5-17 nights) for the summer. I'm now planning stage for my Sept trip. (leaning towards the Allegheny National Forest in NW. PA.)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, will add it to the list, my wife car is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland edition with Active Drive 2, but it is not set up for TOAD duty yet, there is a dealer TSB that needs to be done for steering wobble and we need to install a base plate (already have it).
Oh ! if you could get the Jeep out there you would be in Heaven. Beautiful 4X4 drives that will take you to where the People arn't. -

These trails are rated so just google them to see where you would be fine traveling on them - We did the Alpine Loop on a beautiful day in my MDX and it surely is not meant for Off Roading - needed seating for at least 6 so we now have the GX that will go anywhere and still rides like a car. -

If those pictures and the Video don't get you then you better check your Pulse. -

Will follow to see what you decide - we missed the Aspen till 2009 - now if we are not there we try to at least fly out at the end of September to get our Aspen Fix - Nothing Like them, IMHO. -

Have fun working on the Plan. -
Old 06-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #10

The Cherokee Overland is not a Trail Rated jeep, but for all practical purposes is one step down from the Trail Rated Cherokee Trailhawk, with the key difference being different front bumper that does not allow as much approach clearance as the Trailhawk version. Also my wife's does not have the optional skid plates which are standard on the Trailhawk.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #11

You might also check facebook marketplace for local private sellers.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Bussskipper, that video was pure torture -- when will I ever get to see all of that again?? (A year from now, maybe?)

For folks who have never been to Colorado, the color on that video probably seemed artificial. It wasn't. That's the way it really looks.

My only quibble with that video has to do with the view of Ice Lake, near Silverton, at the 30 second mark. Believe it or not, the color on the video did not quite do it justice. This is what that lake really looks like -- and that is DW glamorously posing on the shore. (This is what passes for glamor among senior citizens, anyhow.)

Click For Full-Size Image.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

Busskipper, let me ask what parts of Colorado would you suggest in order to see some greenery in September? I / We have sort of done the perimeter of Colorado driving up the eastern side a couple of times (Amarillo to Sidney, Nebraska by way of Lamar, Kit Carson, etc.), as well as clipping through the extreme SW corner last October for Four Corners Monument, and looping through a bit on our southern Wyoming, Snowy range trip in 2016 (Fort Collins to Laramie, then across southern Wyoming and down to Steamboat springs (which was way too crowded in June), over to Dinosaur NM, and back across on I-70 by way of Rifle to Denver.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Busskipper, let me ask what parts of Colorado would you suggest in order to see some greenery in September? I / We have sort of done the perimeter of Colorado driving up the eastern side a couple of times (Amarillo to Sidney, Nebraska by way of Lamar, Kit Carson, etc.), as well as clipping through the extreme SW corner last October for Four Corners Monument, and looping through a bit on our southern Wyoming, Snowy range trip in 2016 (Fort Collins to Laramie, then across southern Wyoming and down to Steamboat springs (which was way too crowded in June), over to Dinosaur NM, and back across on I-70 by way of Rifle to Denver.
Isaac,

Look/Read post #6 - Lake City - It's in Hinsdale County - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinsdale_County,_Colorado - with one person/.75 square miles - it meets your less likely to run into someone, period and has had very little Covid. So if you are Looking for Pure Beauty in the Mountains with Few People, fix up that Jeep and Go.

There will be a number of Tourists there but they will be like you looking for Solitude and a Beautiful Landscape - MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=5ff24...=2&form=S00027 - As I avoid Big cities and I's this route has only limited amounts of each the one Real Pass that you need to know about will just require you to slow down and enjoy the View at the Top - Take a few Pictures then head down to the town of Lake City.

Is Slumgullion Pass dangerous?
Drive at moderate speed. You’re not on a race. It's one of the highest mountain roads of Colorado. It has a few switchbacks and tight spots, but other than that, most travelers will find it an easy, scenic route. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumgullion_Pass

Old Post may Help - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/lake...ad-380865.html

One More - https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...%3Apinterest.*

Web Cam in Town at the post office - Lake City, Colorado, Web Cams

That's all I've got - Best of Luck,