Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

Late travel west

How late in the fall is to late to travel west to the mountains and national parks. Wondering about road closers and parks. I was thinking September would be chancing it for snow.
gotahavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #2

When do campgrounds close in the area you want to visit?
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotahavit View Post
How late in the fall is to late to travel west to the mountains and national parks. Wondering about road closers and parks. I was thinking September would be chancing it for snow.
Earliest I ever hit snow east of western Montana was the first week in October. And Only once. Until you get west of Yellowstone, you may get a few snow squalls, but not much to worry about.

I did sit through 14 inches of snow in Spokane Washington one time in early October.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotahavit View Post
Last fall we spent in the Mountains of Colorado and the Black hills - Most of September and all of October - IMHO that is the best time of the Year!

Aspen turn - If you are really lucky you might just see some Snow - BUT - it usually melts before Lunch.

If you search and are lucky - say Independence Pass and Cottonwood Pass might bless you with a little Snow.

November better chance but still melts pretty quickly, except at the Highest elevations - Use a good Snow Cam to see what is going on - https://www.aspensnowmass.com/our-mo.../mountain-cams

If I were you I'd just go then you will see wha I mean.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We spend September through late October in northeast Montana, about 15 miles south of the Canadian Border. Not in the mountains but we've had snow as early as mid September, but that's very rare. Mid to late October can be cold and windy or balmy and beautiful. A bit of a crapshoot, but usually it's fine.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 PM   #6

We've been to Yellowstone the end of September. Nice weather but then, you know how weather can change. Take your chances.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

we love to travel 'the west' in sept or early oct. we like to book a week outside of durango at the end of sept when the aspens are in color. so far no weather problems. the higher elevations might be different.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #8

thanks for all the ideas
gotahavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #9

We were in Ouray latter Labor Day last year. Snowed the second day we were there. Not much, maybe an inch. Red Pass had about 6-8 inches. No issues.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel