Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #1

Leaving in 10 days for my first big trip.

So I am.dro. northwest NJ. Last year I upgraded my pop-up to a hybrid TT. Only got one weekend in before it was time to winterize. In 10 days the wife and I are leaving to go to Southeast KY. Going to Dale Hollow Lake State Resort. It quickly turned into a big family gathering. It is just a few miles west of the southern portion of Daniel Boone Forest. We are definitely taking a day to go to the mammoth caves (we were going to stay closer until my family got involved in the planning) any other recommendations. We are only going for a week, and are mostly planning on beer and campfire, but I love to see and experience new things
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #2

Check Corvette factory tour and museum. I dont think it's too far. Or maybe on way there or back.
Lexington Ky is a great destination for another trip.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Being the off season, Mammoth Cave Tours should be mostly available. In the summer season 2 or 3 of the popular tours get sold out a day or two ahead. We usually camp right next to the caves at the national park campground for the week. And then a few more days at the near by Nolin Lake State park.

I would suggest since it is a long drive from Dale Hollow Lake State Resort to leave early, buy tickets for a morning tour, eat lunch and do another in the afternoon. I would suggest the Grand Ave tour (4 miles), Extended Historic Tour (2 mile), and if time permits the Violet City lantern Tour (3 miles) You will only be able to do two in a day. After the 4 mile Grand Ave tour you will be wooped...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #4

While staying in the area, we ate lunch at the resort restaurant and my wife thought their Kentucky Hot Brown was the best ever.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here’s wishing you the very best with your travels when you go.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
While staying in the area, we ate lunch at the resort restaurant and my wife thought their Kentucky Hot Brown was the best ever.
Great, good to hear, I will definitely try it.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Being the off season, Mammoth Cave Tours should be mostly available. In the summer season 2 or 3 of the popular tours get sold out a day or two ahead. We usually camp right next to the caves at the national park campground for the week. And then a few more days at the near by Nolin Lake State park.

I would suggest since it is a long drive from Dale Hollow Lake State Resort to leave early, buy tickets for a morning tour, eat lunch and do another in the afternoon. I would suggest the Grand Ave tour (4 miles), Extended Historic Tour (2 mile), and if time permits the Violet City lantern Tour (3 miles) You will only be able to do two in a day. After the 4 mile Grand Ave tour you will be wooped...
I didn't even think about it getting that busy, kinda figured it was a bit out of the way to regularly sell out. Me and most the rest of the group will probably have trouble hiking that far we are a combination of older, injured, and children. So we'll see what everyone feels up to. Which tour would you say is the best if we only do one?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Check Corvette factory tour and museum. I dont think it's too far. Or maybe on way there or back.
Lexington Ky is a great destination for another trip.
The corvette plant is closed to retool for the new mid engine vette. The museum is open and very cool.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You'll like Dale Hollow Lake SP. We also ate at the lodge - had a good meal. Service was slow, surprising because there was hardly anyone eating when we went late one evening. There's not a lot to do in the immediate vicinity but we did stop in at a small historic site/museum Cordell Hull Birthplace.

See MY ALBUM for some campground pics.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #10

Another vote for the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY.
We were surprised last year by the number of people at Mammoth. Go to the website and read about the different tours, you’ll be able to find something that should work.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You'll like Dale Hollow Lake SP. We also ate at the lodge - had a good meal. Service was slow, surprising because there was hardly anyone eating when we went late one evening. There's not a lot to do in the immediate vicinity but we did stop in at a small historic site/museum Cordell Hull Birthplace.

See MY ALBUM for some campground pics.

Lori-
Thanks alot for the photos. I really didn't know what to expect. Being from NJ it's weird. Seems like alot of campgrounds don't have much in the way for trees
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Depends on where you go. Lots of campgrounds & state parks have plenty of trees. Below are just a few we've been to with lots of trees & tree'd sites.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alumcreek.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	646.0 KB
ID:	240617   Click image for larger version

Name:	cedarcreek.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	240618  

Name:	indigobluffs.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	240619   Click image for larger version

Name:	paynetown2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	240621  

Name:	shawnee.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	240622  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

So leaving right after work tomorrow. Going from Northwest NJ to Haegerstown MD KOA. Doing a crash and dash for hopefully an early start to Burkesville KY. I will share pics tomorrow when I leave. If you see me on the road give me a honk and wave[emoji3]
Old 04-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #14

And away we go!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_174958.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	241725Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_174919.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	241726Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_174853.jpeg