Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #1

Letchworth State Park NY

Looking for recommendation for campsite at this park in the No Pets loop. We have a 32 ft RV towing 4 door Jeep. Want to stay 3 nights the first week of June. A lot of the reviews mention so many sites are unlevel, tough to get into, trees etc...... eventually working our way to Vermont via the Plattsburgh ferry. Any comments about that would be appreciated too! Thanks all.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
Looking for recommendation for campsite at this park in the No Pets loop. We have a 32 ft RV towing 4 door Jeep. Want to stay 3 nights the first week of June. A lot of the reviews mention so many sites are unlevel, tough to get into, trees etc...... eventually working our way to Vermont via the Plattsburgh ferry. Any comments about that would be appreciated too! Thanks all.
Last October friends & myself stayed in the 500 loop, which I believe is pet free. Sites were level enough for us, although both of us had small trailers. Some photos from our visit including a few of the sites and the sites & the rest of the park: Letchworth State Park, 2020
Old 03-15-2021, 04:11 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If no one in the forum can help, you might want to give YouTube a try. Sometimes people post reviews or drive-through's of various campgrounds. Letchworth is pretty popular, so you might get lucky.

We love crossing Lake Champlain by ferry, but we've never taken the trailer, so can't help there. Good luck with your travel planning!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #4

We were there about 3 years ago and our site was more than large enough for our 43' coach and F150 toad. It was heavily treed, but no issues getting in. It was also muddy due to the rain . If you click on the link below, you can pick out the campsite you have reserved and see a picture of that specific site. https://www.campadk.com/campsitephot...rth/choosesite
Old 03-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions and I was able to find a Utube video of each loop taken in 2019. Looks pretty decent to me! The ferry to Vermont from Plattsburgh is reasonable so Ill be making that reservation this week.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
I have camped there several times and always do a walk around to find the best campsites that will work for my motorhome. I have never had an issue with the loops that allow pets. Always have been on leash and relatively quiet. Here is my short list of acceptable sites:
710, 712, 716 and 727 but it is a little tight getting into. 700 loop is paved.
510, 523, 525
131, 133, 135
121 is very un-level, I had it once and couldn't get leveled easily.
837-845 are nice sites but are near the road.
I have 835 reserved for the first weekend in May.

I hope this helps.
Applepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applepicker View Post
I have camped there several times and always do a walk around to find the best campsites that will work for my motorhome. I have never had an issue with the loops that allow pets. Always have been on leash and relatively quiet. Here is my short list of acceptable sites:

710, 712, 716 and 727 but it is a little tight getting into. 700 loop is paved.

510, 523, 525

131, 133, 135

121 is very un-level, I had it once and couldn't get leveled easily.

837-845 are nice sites but are near the road.

I have 835 reserved for the first weekend in May.

I hope this helps.

Ut oh. I just reserved site 527 yesterday for three nights beginning May 31. Thank you so much for your response. I will keep it on hand for future.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
Ut oh. I just reserved site 527 yesterday for three nights beginning May 31. Thank you so much for your response. I will keep it on hand for future.
I just went back to my account on reserveamerica and we were on site 137. Large enough for our 43'mh, pickup and still plenty of room left over.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I just went back to my account on reserveamerica and we were on site 137. Large enough for our 43'mh, pickup and still plenty of room left over.

Do you know anything about 527? It looks nice in the YouTube video.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:36 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
I took a look at 527 and it looks ok. Flat but not overly wide. From the photo I would reserve it. Might change my mind after I got there....
https://www.campadk.com/campsitephot...worth/site/527

Over in Perry, NY is a great restaurant, Charcoal Coral. They feature broasted chicken which is really good! It is cafeteria style with lots of seating inside and out. And 2 drive-in movie screens.

https://charcoalcorral.com/

Enjoy your stay.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
I took a look at 527 and it looks ok. Flat but not overly wide. From the photo I would reserve it. Might change my mind after I got there....
https://www.campadk.com/campsitephot...worth/site/527

Over in Perry, NY is a great restaurant, Charcoal Coral. They feature broasted chicken which is really good! It is cafeteria style with lots of seating inside and out. And 2 drive-in movie screens.

https://charcoalcorral.com/

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for taking a peak at 527. I will keep the reservation and hope for the best! May also change mind after seeing it. Fortunately, DH can backup anything, anywhere, the first time around. Enjoy your week there and thanks for the restaurant tip.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
If I don't forget, I'll walk by and get some photos of it, if there isn't anyone on it, and send them to you. Only issue is if it rains much some of the sites tend to get muddy.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
If I don't forget, I'll walk by and get some photos of it, if there isn't anyone on it, and send them to you. Only issue is if it rains much some of the sites tend to get muddy.

Oh thank you! That would be very nice of you. Since you are that familiar, how are they about changing sites if Im not happy with it? Im thinking I would have to go through Reserve America? Then again, we are there only three night, Im sure we will love it! If so, well be doing a second trip there! Thank you.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:13 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
I don't know how easy it will be to change sites. If it is on the weekend it will probably be booked full unless you catch a cancellation. I have always booked way ahead because it is a popular state park and it fills up fast.
There are many miles of hiking trails thru the park. The trail along the edge of the gorge is really nice and scenic. There are 3 main waterfalls that you can walk to along the river. There is a small museum behind the Glen Iris Inn which serves meals. In case you haven't been to it here is the state website:
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx