Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Thanks gang.

I do need to check on spark arrestor - didn't think to look at that. Will also keep an eye on CL - I love a good bargain!!!
If you do not see a valid official looking stamp or sticker... be sure to have the seller produce documents proving that the units are in fact approved by the USFS..
(You cause a fire on Federal lands because your equipment does not meet their standards... You are held financially responsible for clean up and restoration.)
On another note...
If you plan on using the gennie in California, make sure that it is CARB compliant..(They require smog devices on everything including lawn mowers!)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #30

Been there, done that...you can do it...
Wiley Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #31

Pete,

Understand about limited time. I'm not retired yet so many of our trips require more seat time per day than most would do.

Lots of great input has been given. If it were me I'd try to get to Sioux Falls SD on day 2. It's only 80ish more miles and sets up a more leisurely day 3. You could stop at the corn palace in Michell, SD - not long but it's worth seeing. You could then drive through the Badlands and see everything you wanted. IMO you wouldn't then need to backtrack once you make it to Custer. With the time you save I think Needles highway is worth doing. I would also vote for a side trip to Devils Tower. It was way more impressive in person.

YNP is big. Must sees IMO are Old Faithful geyser and lodge, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone- both upper and lower falls, mammoth hot springs and grand prismatic hot spring.

Grand Tetons - Jenny lake

The trip will wet your appetite to go back.

Enjoy your trip.

Shawn
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree, you couldn't pay me to stay at Fishing Bridge. Packed in like sardines. The back set of loops is very dusty. But it is the only campground in the park with full service. My pick is Madison. Nice large level sites. Bridge Bay is hit or miss. Sites in loops A,B,C & D have level sites the bottom 1/3rd of each loop are level. The best loop is the last one in the park ( H ?). Have s good chance at BB to have Bison grazing 10' from your RV. We had one who we named Charlie take up home for two and half days within our campsite. One night he sleep 20' from our neighbors tent.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #33

Quick update. We spent a week in Branson last week and I learned a few things pertinent to this trip. In no particular order:
1. 50 mph is a good average speed. Despite the fact that I can and sometimes do tow at 70 mph, potty/fuel stops and construction traffic quickly erode your average speed despite your best efforts to keep on rolling. If you end up faster than that on a particular day, GREAT! I'm not going to count on it though.

2. We did the 525 mile return trip in one day and it went well. I do wish for another 10-15 gallons of fuel capacity as I found that I needed to stop for fuel before the family really was needing to, but alas that isn't going to change anytime soon. I am contemplating taking one or two 5 gallon cans of fuel as a just in case for this trip. Thoughts on whether that is a good idea or not?

3. The F250 PSD loves to pull and I love having more truck than I need for the size/weight of our unit.

4. On the way out to Branson, we left after work and got about half way there (4 hrs) before pulling in for the night. That gave us a chance to practice a sleep-only stopover. Nice level site and I was able to leave the TT hooked up with no problem. Literally spent 15 minutes setting up, and slightly less tearing down to hit the road the next morning.

So the planning continues. I truly do appreciate all of the input from each of you. Stay tuned for more.
Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #34

Continuing to refine the details of the trip based on feedback here and from some other web browsing. A few "final" (whatever that means) decisions:
1. Going to plan on leaving no later than after school on the last possible day of the school year (June 1 for us). I'll probably take that day off work either way, so if we don't have snow days to make up we may take off early that morning and space out some of the outbound driving.

2. Going to identify a suitable campground or two every 100-150 miles so we can be flexible in where we stop on the way out. Not sure we are ready for WalMart parking lots in a travel trailer (maybe when/if we get a Class C or A).

3. I've also decided on Fishing Bridge as our base station for YSNP.

4. Based on #2 and #3, I'm going to nix the generator idea and just count on electric or FHU sites at all stops.

5. Route and anticipated stops are updated as below. Other than Custer and Fishing Bridge, we aren't planning on making reservations until the day of or day before. . .makes me nervous, but I'm too cheap to waste money on reservations that we never end up using because we traveled more/less than anticipated on a particular day.

So, here's the route for now:
Evening of Day 0: Home to Galesburg, IL 250 mi, 5 hrs
Day 1: Galesburg, IL to Sioux Falls, SD 501 miles, 10 hrs
Day 2: Sioux Falls, SD to Custer SP 387 mi, 8 hrs + 2 hrs for driving through Badlands/stopping for a couple of photos.
Day 3: Siteseeing in Custer, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore
Day 4: Custer SP to Greybull, WY 307 mi, 7 hrs
Day 5: Greybull, WY to Fishing Bridge CG 130 mi, 4 hrs
Day 6: Yellowstone
Day 7: Yellowstone
Day 8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Day trip to Cody for siteseeing and rodeo
Day 10: Fishing Bridge CG to Rock Springs, WY via the south exit of YSNP through Grand Tetons 277 mi, 6 hrs + 2 hrs for messing around in GTNP
Day 11: Rock Springs, WY to North Platte, NE 476 mi, 9 hrs
Day 12: North Platte, NE to Des Moines, IA 411 mi, 8 hrs
Day 13: Des Moines, IA to Home 474 mi, 9 hrs
Days 14-16: recover and get ready to go back to work!!!

My goal is to nail down the arrival and departure dates for Custer and YSNP within the next 2-4 weeks so I can make reservations before things fill up.

As always, appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Pete
Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #35

Well we took a couple of big steps this evening.

1. Custer SP reservations - 2 nights at Game Lodge Campground.

2. After stopping for 1 night to break up the drive between Custer and Yellowstone, we'll be at Fishing Bridge Campground for 5 nights. We'll use that as our base for Yellowstone touring, as well as for a day trip to Cody.

At this point, we think that's all of the advanced reservations we're planning on making. That way we can be as flexible as we need to be on our drive out and back from Indiana. We'll work to identify several campground options in the 350 to 500 mile driving range at the start of each day and just see what happens. As long as we can average 350 miles, we'll be fine going out and coming back.

Still more planning to do, but we feel good about taking this next big step. Thanks again for all of your input and encouragement.

Pete
Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #36

Been a while since I've spent much time on the trip. We did make a minor change. Will not do the day trip to Cody while we are in YS. Just too much to fit in. . .
Instead we are going to stop in North Platte Nebraska for two nights. That will allow us to see the Nebraskaland Days rodeo.

While in YS, we did make reservations for a boat cruise and a chuckwagon ride/dinner.

The F250 is ready to go minus an oil change that I'll do later in the spring. I also got two 5 gallon diesel fuel cans that I will keep filled in the bed of the truck.
The TT has a new slide out awning and has an appointment for 4 new tires. Also filled up the propane tanks.

I've printed out a 2" thick stack of coloring pages, word finds, and Junior Ranger activities for each of the girls. Thinking that will keep them busy at least until Iowa. . .

Just under 3 months away and feel like I'm ready to leave tomorrow!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #37

You said 2 nites in North Platt, NE

The Union Pacific RR operates the WORLDS largest rail classification yard, about 8 miles E/W and 2miles N/S, the classify about 300 trains a day using 18,000,000 (that’s correct 28 million) gallons/month!

Go to the 100 foot tall “Golden Spike Tower ($)” for a excellent overview. They have ex-employee docents explaining the operation. Can spend as little as 30 min ar a few hours there.

Plenty of RV parking!

A few miles west of Kearney, NE is the “Great Platte River Archway” another place to spend some time viewing the Westward expansion. The arch completely covers I80.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #38

Proof read, Proof read, and Proof read again!

That’s 18 million!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #39

Very cool. Will have to check that out if time allows. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #40

Please post while doing your trip or when you get back. I am planning on going in September and am curious about availability of sites with a tt. Mine is 20 ft and with truck is 40'. Above all, have a great time.
Poranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #41

I will. I think I am early in the season and you'll be on the other end, but more than happy to share our adventures if it can help others with their planning.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #42

Wow - just 1 month until departure date!!! I'm digging into the final level of detail as far as route planning and came up with a couple of questions for the group.

As a quick recap, this is a 2-week trip from Indy to Yellowstone and back, with stops of varying length (ranging from drive by to stopping for several days) at Badlands, Custer, Rushmore, YS, Tetons, and Nebraskaland Days rodeo. It'll be me, DW, and DDs age 8 and 11 in our 27 ft TT towed by our F250 PSD.

Questions:
1. Badlands: we will exit off of I-90 onto route 240 to do a drive through viewing of Badlands (with a nice lunch break/short hike mid-day). As we leave Badlands, should I take 240 back up to I-90 or should I stay in Badlands longer and exit on route 44 toward Custer SP (our next stop)? I'd love to stay in Badlands longer just for scenery, but also don't want to get myself into a crazy slow route that will add hours to our travel time getting to Custer.

2. Regardless of whether I go back to I-90 or take 44 across, eventually I have to get from the Rapid City area to Game Lodge Campground in Custer. What is the best route to take from Rapid City to Game Lodge CG? By best route, I mean the best scenery but still reasonable for towing a TT.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Pete

Tags
advice