Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Looking for local knowledge of Upper Peninsula, MI

I am attending a class at the Spartan shop in Charlotte, MI on October 8-12. I then have an appointment set up in Iowa for the last week in October. I have been planning the trip and have come to realize that most of the campgrounds in the UP close shop on October 15th. I am hoping some of the IRV2 crowd may have little insight they can share with a newbie to the UP. Thanks for any help. I was hoping to go up and across the peninsula in between the appointments. Coming down into NE Iowa.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be in the UP in Sept. and looking for RV parks as well.

I'll be following this thread.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

I'm a Yooper by birth... but sadly don't live there now...

The Forest Service Campgrounds with any amenities will shut down in early October.

The State Parks should be open until the 1st of Nov: https://www.midnrreservations.com/Home.aspx

The private/municipal parks should also run through the 1st part of November. Here is one I know stays open until Nov 1: http://bayridgervpark.com/home

Here's another nice one - not sure when it closes for the season: https://manistiquelakeshorecampground.org/

There should be plenty of options to get you across the UP.

Have a great trip!
VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Good afternoon from Marquette, Michigan!

One of the challenges is that many of our local campgrounds will stop taking reservations as of Oct. 1, but may stay open on a first-come, first-serve basis until the forecast calls for our first real freeze.

Are you planning to stay on the Lake Michigan coast, or do you want to come the extra 60 miles North to Lake Superior?

The area around Munising usually peaks for fall color around October 10, so your timing will be perfect. There are a lot of small, unimproved, rustic campsites South of Munising off H-13, but you'd be hard-pressed to get your coach in to most of them. Nonetheless, those inland lakes are some of the best places to see the fall color. Bring a camera and make sure you catch a few sunrises with the mist and reflections!

Since I'm on Superior, here are a few campgrounds that should be open through the time you'll be here:

Woodland Park in Grand Marais, MI (On the Northeast end of the Pictured Rocks and the most scenic little Lake Superior town you'll ever visit. The park doesn't take reservations and is first-come, first-serve. They also close no later than late Oct., sometimes earlier if freezing weather sets in sooner. Don't bank on this place, but it's a great option if everything works out!)

Munising Tourist Park (gateway to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and a great place to stay right on the shores of Lake Superior.)

Rippling River Resort (right on the Carp River, just a few minutes from Marquette and Lake Superior, open year-round, and brand new. They're also within walking distance to the ski hill, the Mount Marquette scenic overlook, and the NTN South Trails mountain bike and hiking trail network.)

Gitche Gumee RV Park (close to Marquette, right across the highway from Lake Superior, and open year-round)
Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Goin thru the UP on our way to northern Minnesota

We have trip planned for first 2 weeks in September of this year.

Going straight up thru MI across Mackinac Bridge and west to Duluth, MN then to Boundary Waters Canoe Area (wife grew up in Ely, MN). I've booked 1 night stays at Harrison, MI in the LP, then Whispering Valley CG in Rapid River, MI then Top o' the Morn at Iron River, WI.

I usually post reviews on RV Park Reviews.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:05 AM   #6

Awesome, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather415 View Post
Awesome, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for your help.
Happy to help! This is a spectacular part of the world. :-)

Tags
led