Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">
I am working on a 6 week summer trip fom Michigan out west and back. Along the route we will be spending about 2 weeks coming up the Pacific Coast from about San Francisco to Tacoma. I'm looking for recommendations for full hook up campgrounds right on the ocean anywhere along the way. Pictures or websites would be great !!

Thanks so much !! </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #2

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">
I am working on a 6 week summer trip fom Michigan out west and back. Along the route we will be spending about 2 weeks coming up the Pacific Coast from about San Francisco to Tacoma. I'm looking for recommendations for full hook up campgrounds right on the ocean anywhere along the way. Pictures or websites would be great !!

Thanks so much !! </span>

Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #3

Hi!
We spent a week this summer at Cape Dissapointment State Park - right at the mouth of the Columbia River on the Washington side just across from Astoria. The park has 2 lighthouses - one you can tour. Nice museums over in Astoria, and several other state parks to tour in the area. Lots of small towns to visit up on the Long Beach peninsula as well. Campground has full hookups, very short walk to beach, and clean restrooms. More at:
Cape Disappointment State Park website
Really enjoyed it there.

Also stayed at the Umpqua Lighthouse State Park on the southern Oregon coast. Very small campground, not too close to the beach, and noisy with families. But there's also a lighthouse there with tours, and if you have a toad plenty of beaches in close driving distance. If you don't have a toad I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed at Waldport / Newport KOA last year. It is right next to the ocean, you can walk over to the shore. Small campground but we stayed there with a 37' and a toad. A toad is a must if you want to see the local sights.

We also stayed at Astoria / Seaside KOA. It is not on the ocean but Fort Stevens State Park is nearby. It has 174 full hookup, 302 electrical. I believe it is right on the water.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

Shannone

One that we have stayed at a couple of times and really enjoyed both the park and the area is Pomo RV park at Fort Bragg, about 70 miles north of San Francisco, right on the coat on Highway 1. Website is http://www.infortbragg.com/pomorvpark.

They DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS so be prepared to pay with cash or check. The area there is beautiful.

We also like Bodega Bay a little further south, and Mount Shasta towards Oregon, but further inland on Hwy 5. Mt Lassen Volvanic Park is a must see in that area.

PM me if you want any further details. As I'm at Lake Berryessa in Napa County (north of San Francisco) maybe we could even meet for lunch if you and your family aren't in a hurry.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I did a review of the Salmon Harbor-Winchester Bay Campground in the Campground Reviews here on iRV2's site. There are also pictures there.

If you are a member of Thousand Trails/NACO ...then you will also find this campground to be very close to the ocean...and very family friendly.

Hope you enjoy your trip...it should be a great experience!! PM me when you get closer to your trip...maybe we can meet up!!

PS... I would definitely check out the RV reviews here on the iRV2 area...I know you will find a lot of reviews from people that you will reconize by their names!~!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
You are very wise to start looking now because you will need to make reservation well in advance of your arrival.

Oregon has many great State Parks along the coast but reservations are necessary during the summer months. Cape Lookout State Park (near Tillamook) and Fort Stevens State Park (near Astoria) are both great locations.

I live near Pacific City, OR (Home of the Dory Fleet) and there are a couple RV parks that would be very enjoyable for your family. There is a Thousand Trails and Kiwanda RV Park along with a couple County Parks.

By going to any number of RV Park Review sites you can get a good idea of what is available and plan your route accordingly.

Good Luck and if you have any questions about the Pacific City area I will be happy to answer them for you.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #8

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks everyone. When I get everything all worked out I will can share my route and I would love to meet up along the way. Did I mention that this is for summer '09 ?? LOL. I have my trips planned for next summer already and mentioned to my mom that we wanted to take a long trip out west in '09 and she asked me where I was going. So the next thing you know I am pouring over campground directories, maps and websites. It looks like about a 7500 mile trip and probably will take almost 8 weeks. I love trip planning.</span>

Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Well, keep us informed and we'll share any information that you'll need. Sandy and I will look forward to your visit in our area of the Oregon Coast.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
There are a number of good RV parks in the Coos Bay Oregon area. I have been told that the State Park at Sunset Bay is very good. Depending on your travel, you might look into that area. There are a number of attractions in Coos Bay area that are worth seeing. Particularly Shore Gardens State Park and Gardens. We have our "run away" property in the Charleston (Coos Bay) area and are still making new discoveries. If you like to hike, a trip to Gold and Silver Falls is a must.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
[color:PURPLE]
I am working on a 6 week summer trip fom Michigan out west and back. Along the route we will be spending about 2 weeks coming up the Pacific Coast from about San Francisco to Tacoma. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Others have told you of campgrounds... my comments are that while you can drive up the coast from San Franciso, its all beautiful and well worth the trip, once you go north of Ft. Bragg, you will have to go inland to Hwy 101. Hwy 1 takes you there, but it is a very windy trip, especially if you have a toad on the back of your MH. Although I've driven the route many times pulling a smaller trailer, I know of folks who won't drive it.

From Ft. Bragg it is recommended that you take Hwy 20 to Hwy 101, then continue north where 101 will swing back to the coast at Eureka. The highway from Eureka into Oregon is excellent, but not always in view of the ocean.

Enjoy the trip. We enjoyed our to Michigan this past summer.

By the way, we live in the shadow of Mt. Lassen, and we are well inland, at least a 5 hour drive from Eureka via Hwy 299. We love visitors in Chester, CA, but you should know the amount of time for traveling up here. All of the highways are good and smooth.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #12

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks a lot Paul </span>