Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

Looking for some help with planning Zion and Arches national parks

I have a 2021 Thor Tellero B class and am planning a trip to Zion, Arches, and Cayonland. I have already booked my spots (Zion Canyon campground and Archview)

I was not able to get any shuttle tickets for Zion on the 15th ... they went very quickly, so now I have to wait until the day before and shoot it out with a million other people. My backup plan is to bring my e-Bikes.

My question ... should I still tow my Ryker out there ... just not seeing the need as you can not drive into the part anyway.

Arches and Canyon Land seem to be different, but I do have a B class and could just drive the B class to those locations from the campground ... just not sure if it makes sense towing my Ryker 2400 miles ... my plan was to use it in the parks and around town as a toad instead of disconnecting the B class..
RSKDSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #2

If it's just you going, I'd probably take the Ryker and leave the e-bikes, because I know the roadways in Arches (been there a few times in a Roadtrek) and the other parks are fairly narrow in places and it might be risky on an e-bike, versus your trike. If you can take one e-bike and the Ryker, I'd probably go that route, as it gives you more flexibility based on what you see when you get there. I've only driven through all 3 of those parks. Never stayed in them overnight. I usually stay at either Horse Thief CG outside Moab, or in Bryce Canyon NP (only stayed in North CG there).
Old 04-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

Hi....just spent the month of September in Utah traveling to various state and national parks. Didn't have a tow vehicle but carried ebikes. By all means use the ebikes in Zion. What a blast! Great roads, NO CARS, and only the occasional shuttle bus. You have the roads to yourselves. Also take the ebikes up the "hill" to the tunnel. I'm 74 years old and with the pedal assist ebike made it all the way, no sweat. That's route 9, to the Zion- Mt Carmel Tunnel. The fast ride down was an "E" ticket ride!

In Moab, there is a bike trail that is paved from downtown all the way to Moab Giants Museum at the turn off for rt 313. It parallels US 191, the main road thru Moab with mostly gentle climbs and descents. Again a great bike ride!

Enjoy your Utah adventure.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:58 PM   #4

Here are Zion's bike rules:

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...Parus%20Trail.

Biking Arches:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/biking.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
If I unplug my thumb throttle assist and only rely on the pedal assist on my ebike can I use it in Zion?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

The ebikes we have and used in Zion and Moab were pedal assist bikes that also have thumb throttles. We were never stopped by anyone to check if the bikes are only pedal assist.

When we were in Zion last September, the shuttle didn't run very frequently so we basically had the road to ourselves. And yes, we did stop on the side each time a shuttle approached from either direction. You really get to experience the vastness and height of the Zion canyon on bikes.

The bike/walking trail from town to Zion NP is open to all and not many make the walking trek to the park so again, great for bikes.

As for Moab/Arches, there were very few bikers riding on the bike trail to Moab Giants and we were never asked about propulsion system of bike. I did ask owner of bike shop about restrictions and she said she rides her ebike daily to/from work on that trail without hassle. Did not see anyone riding within Arches. I guess if you can make it up that first "hill" go for it.

There are rules and they are just common sense.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfopilot View Post
The ebikes we have and used in Zion and Moab were pedal assist bikes that also have thumb throttles. We were never stopped by anyone to check if the bikes are only pedal assist.

When we were in Zion last September, the shuttle didn't run very frequently so we basically had the road to ourselves. And yes, we did stop on the side each time a shuttle approached from either direction. You really get to experience the vastness and height of the Zion canyon on bikes.

The bike/walking trail from town to Zion NP is open to all and not many make the walking trek to the park so again, great for bikes.

As for Moab/Arches, there were very few bikers riding on the bike trail to Moab Giants and we were never asked about propulsion system of bike. I did ask owner of bike shop about restrictions and she said she rides her ebike daily to/from work on that trail without hassle. Did not see anyone riding within Arches. I guess if you can make it up that first "hill" go for it.

There are rules and they are just common sense.
Thanks for the response. It's only Zion where we would use our bikes. For sure I don't think I'd ever bike in Arches!

Tags
national