Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to azbaroness
Louisiana Bound

We are planning a trip along I-10 and want to come back through New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, etc. Has anyone been there recently (post hurricane)? My husband is afraid that it hasn't been rebuilt enough to be safe enough for us to spend several days in the area.

All input (including big rig campground suggestions) welcome.
azbaroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hello, I live in Lafayette. New Orleans is back to some degree. Just be wary of your surroundings and don;t stray off the beaten path. Bourbon street is back in full swing and many tourists are there. Just be aware of the crime rate. I have recently found this RV resort that is about 4 blocks from Bourbon st and offers a free shuttle as well as gated entry and 24hr security. It is also just off the interstate so easy to get to. Although, I have NOT been there personally it appears to be the best option. If you go there before I do I would be interested in your response. The website is http://www.fqrv.com/ I hope this helps. There is also another resort in Henderson (bout 15 miles east of Lafayette) that is nice. It is cajun palms resort http://www.cajunpalms.com/
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We also have several festivals here in Lafayette at the end of April and beginning of May. The Festivale des Internationale (Lafayette) and the Crawfish festival in Breaux Bridge (off I-10).
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed at Fairview-Riverside State Park in Houltonville north of lake Pontchartrain. It was one of my favorite spots of a 10,000. mi. trip last year. Also will fit "any size" rig.

Mike
Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #5

We did that same route from East to West and had no problems. Think ahead and you will be fine.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboniko View Post
Hello, I live in Lafayette. New Orleans is back to some degree. Just be wary of your surroundings and don;t stray off the beaten path. Bourbon street is back in full swing and many tourists are there. Just be aware of the crime rate. I have recently found this RV resort that is about 4 blocks from Bourbon st and offers a free shuttle as well as gated entry and 24hr security. It is also just off the interstate so easy to get to. Although, I have NOT been there personally it appears to be the best option. If you go there before I do I would be interested in your response. The website is http://www.fqrv.com/ I hope this helps. There is also another resort in Henderson (bout 15 miles east of Lafayette) that is nice. It is cajun palms resort http://www.cajunpalms.com/
We stayed at the French Quarters RV Resort last April for a week. The staff is really great, the place is very nice, but pricey. It was well worth it for the convenience getting to/from the French Quarters. They will take you over on a cart and pick you up anytime of the night. Just call and they will be right over at the visitor center to get you. That was very nice at 2am. You don't have to look for parking or drive back to your RV park late at night especially if you have had to many Hurricanes.

The sites are all concrete and the whole park is enclosed by a high brick wall. The entrance gate controls access to the park.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We stayed at KOA West last May and it was fine. You kind of wonder about it driving to it, but once there we asked and they have no trouble in the CG. Very wide, level spaces with full hook-up.

A word of caution on the East side of town on I-10. It is one heck of a roller coaster ride. If possible go in and out on the West side, or use I-55. I don't know how an RV would do on the Pontchartrain and maybe someone that is local could speak on that.

Edited: p.s., Get reservations as that is a bustling area. There are other CG's within 30-45 minutes from NO, like in Slidel, etc.,
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #8

I second that roller coaster ride. It was the worst I have ever seen and we had to slow down to about 45 to keep from tearing the rig apart. Can't imagine why they ever allowed it to get into that condition.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wife and I spent 2 days in the NO area, went to the French Qtr, and decided that we would not go back. ( first time since Katrina) Many, many shops closed, very few folks there. Took the Super city tour, not as good as first 2 trips. Saw too many vacant slabs where homes used to be, too many people standing/sitting on corners with brown paper bags with bottles. Our opinion is that it's not worth the fuel to get there although we do hope the city comes back.

Ron K.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #10

Do what ever you can to avoid I 10 east of N O..it will tear you up even at 45! Another heads up is I 59 between Gadsden, AL and the GA line..about as bad as 10!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #11

We really appreciate all your input and are incorporating the feedback into our tirp plans.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second the motion for Cajun Palms near Lafayette. If you go to the French Quarters do be very careful!!!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
They just gave some info on New Orleans on the local news. Stated that tourism was down due to the perception of high crime. Also stated that the crime rates have dropped dramatically in 2008 except for auto theft. Seems to be getting better but caution is still warranted. Be Smart and aware. Or, just come to Lafayette
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #14

Pretty much decided to do that! Thanks for all the FYI's - very much appreciated.