Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Louisville to New Orleans...take the toad?

Having never been there...we are planning a trip to New Orleans via Louisville, Nashville, and Memphis in April. We'd like to see all the important food and music sites, and wondering if we need the toad... and if there are any places that we shouldn't miss while there would be appreciated....
printernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Save the money and worry on the toad. Site seeing trips are reasonable and the excursion guides come to the campground. Would not think twice about leaving the toad at home unless you want to venture way off
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by printernot View Post
Having never been there...we are planning a trip to New Orleans via Louisville, Nashville, and Memphis in April. We'd like to see all the important food and music sites, and wondering if we need the toad... and if there are any places that we shouldn't miss while there would be appreciated....
Are you stopping to see the sites in Louisville, Nashville and Memphis? Or are you just referring to sightseeing in 'Nawlins?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My self, I would take the toad without a second thought about it. But I like to do my own thing and would rarely if every take a guided tour, that is what Maps, GPS and AAA Tour Guide Books are for, plus book from the sites such as New Orleans.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, we are looking to see the sites in all 3 cities....
printernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, we are looking to see the sites in all 3 cities....
Louisville: You really need a toad to get around. The sights and city are spread out. Public transportation is lacking. You can overnight in town at the Fair & Expo center or stay in one of the small campgrounds just south of Louisville or just across the river in S. IN.
Don't miss: Louisville Slugger Museum, while by there check out the free museum at 21C hotel (and check out the one-way mirror in the bathrooms!), also KY Derby Museum and tour of Churchill Downs, a lunch or dinner cruise on the historic Belle of Louisville, a Hot Brown from the Brown Hotel, the Frazier History Museum, and finally, if you like some action, the Underground Zip Lines at the Mega Caverns.

I think Nashville is the same with needing a toad but when we go there we park at the fairgrounds which is centrally located and take a short taxi ride downtown.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Also, depending on when you're here in April, the KY Derby Festival will be gearing up, lots of special events going on leading up to the Derby. Like April 12, we have an awesome air show and N. America's largest fireworks show.

Kentucky Derby Festival
Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Take the toad and be on your own schedule. Agree with jdwky on Louisville and don't miss that Brown at the Brown. Go a little south and do the Bourbon Tour as that is great.

In Memphis the musts include Sun Studios, Stax, Rock & Soul Museum, and of course Beale St. Make sure you eat at the Blues City Cafe on Beale is you like BBQ and entertainment. You must also do Graceland, I never thought I would enjoy that tour but really did.

In Nashville tour the Country Music Hall of Fame and Studio B. Very nice. Of course there is the music scene on Broadway and the Blue Bird Cafe, Bellemeade Plantation. All worth your time.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jazz Fest Weekends in New Orleans are April 25-27th and May 2-4th. The City will be full of tourists around those weekends. Most of the campgrounds are on the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain or on the Mississippi Gulf Coast but New Orleans is only about an hour car ride from either place (non-rush hour). If you are planning to be in New Orleans near those Jazz Fest Weekends, be sure you have reservations because many tourists will stay the whole time.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take the toad...never leave home without it.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #11

Agree. You don't want to take this trip without the toad. No way, no how. I live in Louisville and there is a lot of violence on public transportation at this time. It's not safe.

While in Memphis we stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel Campground and drove to see the sites. Beale Street, Graceland and the Loraine Hotel to name a few.

In New Orleans we stayed a bit outside the city proper. There is a campground smack dab in the middle of the French Quarter, but it looked sort of like a prison. Also, be sure to hop in the toad and take an airboat tour and a also a self-guided tour of the old Plantations. Well worth it.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #12

I would take the toad. We just left NO thursday. Stayed at the Ponchatrain landing camp ground/Rv park. The only thing I didn't like about the camp ground was they used recycled crushed concrete. The day we left they were spot filling with this stuff and I did find a few pieces of steel from the reinforcing steel used in concrete.
Anyway we have been in Baton rouge for 6 nights now broken down. Developed a coolant leak and Capital freightliner was not able to find the part we needed ( lower coolant pipe) obsolete part. They also refuse to work on RV's. We did find a place that will work on RV's. Probably 10 of them in the lot. (G. M. Vernado and son's)
Anyway the toad has proven to be invaluable to us.
Ponchatrain Landing has a shuttle that takes you to the French quarter twice a day. Driving in New Orleans is not fun but I live in Sioux city, IA and am not used to crazy big city driving.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #13

Mizzly makes a great point. For me, my Jeep is invaluable insurance on any trip. The only time I don't take mine is if I'm going only say 50 miles from home and am sure I won't need it. That still doesn't mean you won't break down on the side of the road somewhere and wish you had it. I tow 4-down, so it's a piece of cake to setup to tow and I don't even know it's back there.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad