Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Lower Keys

Heading to lower keys mid March. I always stayed at Boyd's but they're booked. Blue Water Key.com said their waiting list was too long to even put my name on it. The .net put me on their waiting list and was somewhat encouraging. I did get a reservation at Sugarloaf KOA which seems to get mixed reviews. Any good reports on Sugarloaf KOA? Anything thoughts on something closer? I tow a 15' skiff and Boyd's always launch it for me. Does anyone know of another camp ground that will launch your boat? Not too many campground ramps in the Keys that I would want to launch a boat with a 41' DP.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

I would suggest that you simply say hi to your neighbors who towed their 5th wheel or TT down. Might be a simple as "how about a 6 pack or a case of beer", as a gift for their help.

I would do it for you with my Jeep's hitch. Is that not how we all help each other?
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

Lower Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick View Post
Heading to lower keys mid March. I always stayed at Boyd's but they're booked. Blue Water Key.com said their waiting list was too long to even put my name on it. The .net put me on their waiting list and was somewhat encouraging. I did get a reservation at Sugarloaf KOA which seems to get mixed reviews. Any good reports on Sugarloaf KOA? Anything thoughts on something closer? I tow a 15' skiff and Boyd's always launch it for me. Does anyone know of another camp ground that will launch your boat? Not too many campground ramps in the Keys that I would want to launch a boat with a 41' DP.
Thanks

Sunshine Key RV Resort is at MM39 which is just across the 7 Mike bridge from Marathon. They have a marina and boat ramp. Give them a call & see if they have launch service. I would be surprised if they don't.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
2X on what Steve Ownby posted. Staying at Sunshine Key RV Resort is also nice. Been there many times. Now it is the only place I stay. Many things to do both North and South of the resort.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Sugarloaf KOA has PLENTY of room by their boat launch to use your RV and back your boat in. You can also rent a slip so you can keep your boat in the water.

We stayed at this campground for 8 years and never had any problems. Only reason we're not staying this year? Because we now have a house on Big Pine Key!

What site did they give you? We always tried for #151 which was right across from the pub and gave you a water view. You also could see the boat launch which provided some entertainment.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #6

Keep a close watch on the FL state parks website for a sudden cancellation at one of the state parks in the keys.
Since I'm retired Army, I always stay at the Navy CG on Key West. Dry camping- always has a vacancy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #7

I would be surprised if the koa either can't launch your boat or at least help locate someone who can. I was there a few years ago, zero complaints.... Great camping area.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 AM   #8

Another good place is Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. They have a good ramp and if you want, they will launch/retrieve your boat with their tractor. Nice pool and bathhouses. But no pets allowed.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

Would always check with Jolly Roger in Marathon. Get a waterside site and there is a boat slip right in front of your RV.

They don't have a launch on site, but there is a marina in walking distance. I'm sure you could get someone to launch for you. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call, if you're interested.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Actually, let me correct myself - looking at it on google maps, it certainly appears that Jolly Roger DOES have a launch on site. Must have been an addition since I was there last, because I don't remember one.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:41 AM   #11

It has a nice launch that has been there for 10 years at least. This will be my 7th year in a row there. Nice place good location.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The koa will launch your boat as a courtesy when you arrive and when you depart very friendly people there at least they did in the past