Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Maiden voyage: Joe Wheeler, AL state park

We are going to do our first RV camp this weekend at Joe Wheeler state park. My kids, 5-5-3, are bursting with excitement! DW and I are pretty stoked as well. Despite the current forecast of 80% rain :(

I scanned from Louisville to Gulf Shores and it is just going to be a dreary weekend...
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make the best of it UBER_D When was the last time you sat down with the kids and played a good game of Yatzee or scrabble or etc. I'm sure everyone will have fun. Those hot dog weinners also taste good roasted over the inside stove. Might even try a guessing game. Don't forget to take the fixins for some smores. Happy camping !!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_D View Post
We are going to do our first RV camp this weekend at Joe Wheeler state park. My kids, 5-5-3, are bursting with excitement! DW and I are pretty stoked as well. Despite the current forecast of 80% rain :(

I scanned from Louisville to Gulf Shores and it is just going to be a dreary weekend...
Better dreary than too hot and buggy, in my opinion. One good investment is good rain gear for everyone in the family. You can't stop rain, but don't let it stop you. Your kids will have a blast-let them play in the puddles, find frogs, take short hikes. When our kids were little, we tent camped and hit torrential rain for 4 days in PA. We didn't have the money for rain gear, but we did have boots and we improvised with garbage bags with holes poke out for heads! Our kids had a great time.

I haven't had the pleasure of camping at Joe Wheeler (almost but trip was cancelled) but heard it is a great campground. Have fun with your family. Sneak in a fire if you can for s'mores during the "20%".

If you have a canopy, you'll still be able to eat outside-big deal for kids. Have fun. Let us know how it went!
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah MaMa and PaPa hooked all the kids up with rain boots for Christmas. DW and I had those and their rain coats on the top of the list, I'll be sure to add chutes and ladders and hi ho Cherri-o to the camp box! DW never misses an opportunity for smores buy I'll double check the list...
Old 03-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_D View Post
Yeah MaMa and PaPa hooked all the kids up with rain boots for Christmas. DW and I had those and their rain coats on the top of the list, I'll be sure to add chutes and ladders and hi ho Cherri-o to the camp box! DW never misses an opportunity for smores buy I'll double check the list...
Ahhhh...to be young, again. You have lucky kids. Have a blast.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We decided to move south to oak mountain to avoid some storms. Despite two tornado warnings it is a beautiful afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-172672258.png
Views:	90
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	9020  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Beautiful family! We had some rough weather, here, too during the night. Glad you found some sun and hope you're having a wonderful time. That's what's great about rv's-you can generally get out of the path of bad weather to find good weather!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Great looking family. Despite the weather, I'm positive you will have a great time and the kids will remember it forever. Have a safe trip.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #9

We are headed to Sherling Lake CG with our 2502s for a weekend stay on the way to Gulf State Park, Al. Excited about the trip. Stayed at Oak Mountain 3 weeks ago and it was great. Happy Friday and good camping to you all!
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadswife View Post
We are headed to Sherling Lake CG with our 2502s for a weekend stay on the way to Gulf State Park, Al. Excited about the trip. Stayed at Oak Mountain 3 weeks ago and it was great. Happy Friday and good camping to you all!
I have a friend who lives in Gulf Shores and says the state park is great! Have fun!