Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Maine trip in June

We will be taking a trip to Maine with friends and their MH this June and are trying to map out the route and locations to visit. Neither of us has been north of NYC and Niagara Falls. We will be gone from 19 June-1 July and want to spend a couple of nights on the coast. I want to avoid US 95 and would like to travel through Pennsylvania and New York on the way up. Just want to see the country more than the city since we live near DC already. I've started looking at what the State parks have to offer too. Both of our rigs are 32' and need 30 amp service. Preferably E/W/S.

Some attractions that the ladies want to see are whale watching, a good lobster dinner and shopping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Some attractions that the ladies want to see are whale watching, a good lobster dinner and shopping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Check out Old Orchard Beach. They have a nice campground and the community is full of activities. Make sure not to miss the Portland Head Light. It's the most photographed lighthouse ever.

Moving on you can go up to Bar Harbor and Mt Desert Island. Yet another "Down East" jewel. If the water is right you can hear the roar of Thunder Hole. Try the high Speed Ferry over to Yarmouth, NS in Canada - Bring a passport!

If you go by Bath you may be able to see a Naval vessel under construction.

Lobster? Forget about it - order them by twins!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest "Baily's Campground" in Old Orchard and Shore Hills in Boothbay.

FYI, The high speed ferry stopped running out of Portland and reduced there runs from Bar Harbor,($$$)
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
FYI, The high speed ferry stopped running out of Portland and reduced there runs from Bar Harbor,($$$)
Wuz just wonderin' when our resident expert would chime in! Max Hubrich has also been running around Down East as well!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Whatever route you choose thru PA and NY I'll let up to you. Well, ...... one suggestion - if you want off-interstate travel from the DC area to NY, what about US 15 up to the Elmira area? That is scenic!

At any rate, you will be getting over to I-95 to get into ME. If you are on I-90 through MA take I-495 to I-95. But do it on a weekday. Trust me.

Spend some time in Portland, ME - a neat, smallish-city with a very cosmopolitan atmosphere. That's where Portland Head lighthouse is- very scenic.

Another idea is a ride on the "mail boat" out of Portland harbor. The fare is not excessive and it is a very relaxing way to see the islands in the bay. As the name implies, it takes cargo, freight, cars and people to six or seven islands in the area. It's not a sightseeing tour, "per se", but many take the ride just for the fun of it.

Just up the road at Freeport is the home of L.L. Bean. That's an interesting shopping complex to visit.

A few miles beyond Freeport is the Desert of Maine - an intreresting area of sand coming up out of the ground and over-spreading many acres of forest. I first visited there in the early '50s and can attest that the sandy area continues to grow.

Fair weather to you on your travels!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
About 6 miles from L. L. Bean is the Durham/Freeport KOA. We stayed there and enjoyed the area.

I'm assuming you know your way around the DC and surrounding areas. For the "faster" route, I-66 to I-81, or I-270/70 to I-81. Around Scranton PA, pick up I-84. Travel it all the way to US-20 in MA, and pick up one of the Interstates heading towards Maine, or the Mass. Pike, I-90 a toll road, but not expensive, then I-93 or I-495 to I-95. There a a lot of side roads you could take to avoid the Interstates. Someone local will be able to give you that information. I left Mass. when I was 18.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #7

While you are up in Maine I heartily suggest Old Orchard it is fun for a family. I you can go to Acadia Nat. Park. We have been going every year for the last 4 years and are going again this year. There is a lot to do on the Island from hiking, bike riding the carriage trails, Thunder Hole (watch the tides and storms some bozos were washed off the rocks last year) Pop Overs and tea etc... at the jordan pond hpouse, The Tourist trap of Bar Harbor. All sorts of things. For Lobster I strongly suggest Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard on the quiet side of the island. Maine is a vacationers paradise there really is something for everyone. Oh, by the way there is a free bus service in the Acadia area It can be quite worth it to park in an available spot near the visitors center or downtown and ride the bus to your destination. Have fun!
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
RMS

Maine lobster

AbnMarine---If you have the time, take a side trip to Big Daddy's in Acton Me. for lobster. Last year, all you could eat was $19.95. Little higher this yr.

Big Daddy's Barbeque
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The best one day off shore boat trip out of Portland would be Great Diamond Island. Google for the correct schedule. Short trip out and back. Be sure to bring your bikes for a leasurely and senic waterfront ride. Mostly level ride for the advanced ages!!! Bring a bag lunch and sit on the rocks or stop at a cafe for lobstah.
FYI, the islands are always a little cooler than the mainland. Bring a jacket or two...
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #10

Lots of good information here. I really appreciate it as this is very helpful. I think we will give Big Daddy's a try too!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #11

As a newbie, this is my first time through the forums. I couldn't help but comment on this.

Real Mainers usually consider that the real Maine starts north of Freeport. There are of course some exceptions.

As to the non-Maine Maine, Portland Proper is a great place... Visit the "Old Port". If you are bar hoppers, you won't be disappointed and you will be safe. We usually stop for dinner (any restaurant will do) and then window shop during the evening.

York village is also nice as is Cape Neddick. If you like lobster, you have to go to Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier in Kittery. It's BYOB and you bring salad type things. Be aware, there is NO PARKING for a big rig. Cars only!

From Brunswick on up (or is it down as in down Maine), you can get lost for days on the coast. I recommend you get a DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer of Maine. The front of that book has dozens of historical and geographic points of interest. It also beats any GPS with being able to figure out what route to take for exploring. I’ll guess you will have plenty to do if you include but stay south of Ellsworth. However, if you do get to Ellsworth, you are but a few miles from Bar Harbor (actually Southwest Harbor is a better deal and way less crowded) and Mt Desert Island.

Have fun!
BobCat
8bobcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Two points of clarifcations;

#1) The "Bozos" at Thunder Hole I believe was a young girl. Very sad.

#2) You may want to enjoy your meal in the Old Port and get out of town long before midnight. That quaint little shopping trip could get ugly when the bars start overflowig out into the streets. Just a frendly word of advise.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #13

I agree it was very sad and my heart goes out to the family. But I have been there many many times ( we love to walk the ocean path) and each time I go I see people trudging way out on the rocks or down to the water and not thinking about safety. As for things to do a tour of the islands off shore (cranberry islands etc...) is fun. You can walk out to bar island when the tide is out but make sure you know the tide tables or you can get trapped there until the tide goes back out. Have fun but stay safe.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #14

We've stayed a few times at Wells Beach RV Resort and like it there alot. Last summer we stayed at Moorings Oceanfront RV resort in Belfast, ME. We liked it there alot too. Very relaxing and not as much tourism, which we liked. Have a fun trip.

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote