Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maryland to Fort Worth

Heading to Fort Worth through the southern route via I-20 in the morning. Plan on heading south through Richmond, Charlotte, to Atlanta, Shreveport, and though the DFW metroplex to Weatherford, TX. Any recommended campsites along this route?

Cheers,

Dutch
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only on I-20 for a portion of your trip.

In West Monroe, LA we stayed at Pavillion RV Park http://pavrv.com/ near Duck Commander and related sites. Seemed like a nice place and had quite a bit of full timers.

In Shreveport, LA stayed at the Shreveport-Bossier City KOA Shreveport, Louisiana Campground | Shreveport / Bossier City KOA nice average place lots of shade. Near to the city and sites there. You will be passing the Gibsland exit between Monroe and Shreveport. Not that far off the exit is the Bonnie and Clyde museum and ambush monument. Thought it was worth the stop for me.

In the Dallas area we stayed at the Arlington - Dallas KOA Arlington, Texas Campground | Dallas / Arlington KOA nice place right in the middle of everything easy to get to town.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
About 90 minutes east of DFW Mill Creek in Canton is very nice.

Ditto on the Shreveport KOA, get in the back section if possible...
(Great catfish house just west of there - IIRC - Jan's River restaurant?)

but we've also stayed at Miss Ellie's just west of the state line in Texas... not great but good overnight stop about 3 hours from DFW.

Give us a shout we live near "Fut Wurth" in Mansfield.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

We just spent Thursday night at Sunset RV Park (Sunset RV) in Tuscaloosa, AL and it was perfect for an overnight. About a quarter mile from I-20, exit 76, sites big enough not to unhook, and everything worked well.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
We did a trip from Annapolis to Phoenix on this route and here
are the first four nights we choose. We don't like to drive more
than 350-400 miles a day.
WADE, NC
FAYETTEVILLE RV RESORT, 6500 WADE-STEDMAN ROAD, 28395 910 484 5500

MADISON, GA
COUNTRY BOY RV PARK 2750 EATONTON RD, 30650 706 342 1799

MARION, MS
BENCHMARK RV PARK 6420 DALE DR, 39342 601 483 7999

LONGVIEW, TX
FERNBROOK RV PARK, 2073 FM 2011, 75603 903 643 8888
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
Only on I-20 for a portion of your trip.

In West Monroe, LA we stayed at Pavillion RV Park http://pavrv.com/ near Duck Commander and related sites. Seemed like a nice place and had quite a bit of full timers.

In Shreveport, LA stayed at the Shreveport-Bossier City KOA Shreveport, Louisiana Campground | Shreveport / Bossier City KOA nice average place lots of shade. Near to the city and sites there. You will be passing the Gibsland exit between Monroe and Shreveport. Not that far off the exit is the Bonnie and Clyde museum and ambush monument. Thought it was worth the stop for me.

In the Dallas area we stayed at the Arlington - Dallas KOA Arlington, Texas Campground | Dallas / Arlington KOA nice place right in the middle of everything easy to get to town.
Thanks Robmat - Looks like we are heading into Monroe today from just east of Atlanta. We will only be there for the night and them off to Weatherford TX the next day. Pavillion RV Park should work for the night. Dutch
Old 01-31-2016, 05:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
About 90 minutes east of DFW Mill Creek in Canton is very nice.

Ditto on the Shreveport KOA, get in the back section if possible...
(Great catfish house just west of there - IIRC - Jan's River restaurant?)

but we've also stayed at Miss Ellie's just west of the state line in Texas... not great but good overnight stop about 3 hours from DFW.

Give us a shout we live near "Fut Wurth" in Mansfield.
Hey JohnBoy - We are moving out to Fort Worth and looks like we are going out towards Weatherford to live. Wanted a place that would allow me to have my RV on my lot. Dutch
Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks MacandPhyl - I am actually sitting in Country Boys RV Campground as I type. We pulled in here last night. I think this is the last campground before going through Atlanta from the East. If I hadn't found this place at the last minute, I probably would have had to push through Atlanta late and did not want to do that. Do you have a recommended route to get by Atlanta, or should I go though the middle? Sunday Morning timeframe.
Thanks, Dutch
Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for your inputs to my journey. I am in Canton, TX relaxing after this trip. An air ride pusher would have been nice. I-20 through Mississippi and Louisiana was terrible as far as roads go. I thought the walls were going to fall off from all the potholes, and bumpy concrete lanes.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I-20 gives a new meaning to shakedown cruise !
when I had the 350 and 5er I left the ground a couple of times through Shreveport & Monroe.

Weatherford has some great places !!!
Have some friends that own a spread out there with a 20 acre lake, etc. NICE!
tried to talk him into letting me run 50 amp out to the lake !!!

It's horse country and has some palatial 'ranches'

I run out there every so often to get the rv washed at Blue Beacon .