Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2023, 06:32 AM   #15

In my younger days, years ago, we did many trips with undefined places to camp. Very similar to your current map. Not sure how well that works out these days.

Keep us updated.

I would suggest a few places along the, but not necessarily your, way. You don't seem to be planning on touring Colorado. There are a number of places, mainly in SW of state that I would say are well worth a visit.

https://www.colorado.com/scenic-hist...dollar-highway
https://www.durangotrain.com/ (definitely one of our favorite places to visit even if there are no wineries for my wife to stop at)
https://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm

Then perhaps on a return trip, try https://www.colorfulcolorado.com/pla...t/buena-vista/

Enjoy your trip but stay up on weather conditions, especially that time of year.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2023, 07:12 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had 6 weeks to drive coast to coast I would get off the interstates and hit the US Routes. With wanting to go thru central USA and starting in Maryland US50 would be my route of choice all the way to Sacramento. Heading north from Sacramento is not a simple as the Sierra Nevada Mountains limit your options. Might need to stick with I5 for at least part of the drive.

Lots of small town CG's along the way. Plan a day or two a head and call to make a reservation of check availability. Sunday thru Thursday shouldn't be a problem finding a camp site particularly for a spring time travel as compared to summer. Friday and Saturday might be a little harder.

And watch the weather. Spring time on the Great Plains can have some very dynamic and dangerous with the weather patterns. Know where you are so when the weather alerts start you can determine if you're in a storm path and need to take action or at least roll up the awning and secure the camp site to some degree.

Good luck and have time.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:27 AM   #17

We stayed here a few years back, it is a city park campground, very reasonable rates, right on the river. It is where WV, OH & KY boundaries meet. (not sure about the chemical mess in Ohio now but we enjoyed the watching the barge traffic). This would be on the route to Kentucky Horse Park.
https://kenovawv.com/virginia-point-campground

If you choose to travel south in Kentucky, the Cumberland Parkway from Somerset, KY is a good divided road to Glasgow, KY. This puts you in the Mammoth Cave National Park and Corvette Museum area. US 68/80 from Glasgow to the Land Between the Lakes area is a good road. There are several lakes that have COE campgrounds throughout this area. From LBL you would have some choices back toward St. Louis.

We're in the Glasgow area and haven't joined Boondockers or Harvest Hosts but if you need an overnight let us know.

Shelia
RockyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Sorry, I can't tell details from your map but I'd advise to really keep a watch on the weather.

As stated above, Grand Canyon North Rim doesn't open until May 15 but there are many boondocking spots on the road leading to it and just drive your vehicle into the park. There won't be facilities open but you can still view.

Great southern Utah national parks in the area: Zion, Bryce, etc.

We were stranded on two different occasions because of a late May blizzard. Once just east of Flagstaff, AZ & another coming up Hwy 93 in Nevada at the Idaho border.

The West and especially California mountains are really getting record snowfall right now so not much chance of it melting early.

It doesn't look like you're taking the coastal highway. I'd advise taking Hwy 20 just above San Francisco area and cutting over to Hwy 101 and taking it all the way up through California, Oregon and around the Olympic Peninsula to Bremerton which is what you have marked. It's good driving for RVs and the camping is superb, especially the state parks. Being on the coast will keep you out of snow areas, also.

That's a lot of territory so giving recommendation on where to stay and what to do is impossible. I'd recommend you define you route in smaller chunks and ask for recommendations along a smaller portion of the whole route otherwise we'll have you driving all over the place to see things. Route first then plan what to do along it.

Nevada Hwy 50 is a great way to cross. There are many boondocking options and plenty of fuel at the towns. Just don't try to shop for price. Get it when you see it. Drive on the top half of your tank and you'll be just fine.

Sounds like a great trip but fast! How will you return?

If doing national parks be sure to check each park's website for up-to-date information on fees and reservations - even for entrance. For instance, you mentioned Moab so I assume you're planning for Arches NP. They now require timed entry.

"From April 1 to October 31, visitors are required to have a timed entry ticket to enter the park."

https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm

Six weeks is not enough time!
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! And we are moving there, so no return trip planned or needed!

Yeah, I know I am putting out a pretty vague or open ask... but honestly the only 'for sure' stop we are making is our ending destination, everything in-between will be decided by weather, or our sense of adventure!

I like the idea of taking the coastal route up through Oregon. That is something the wife and I have discussed, so it is good to hear there is good camping there, thanks!

And thanks to all for helping, the level of knowledge and experience here is second to none!
Zanzabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzabar View Post
Hello all.

March 31st the wife and I will be taking about six weeks to travel from Maryland to Washington State, and we are looking for some recommendations on routes, camping locations, and sight-seeing along the way. We plan to mostly stay at BLM/State Parks and Harvest Hosts locations, as we prefer to not plan too far in advance while traveling and like to ‘wing’ it as much as possible.

We have done the southern route on a previous cross country trip, so this time we would like to cut through the middle of the US as far as possible (maybe as far as Colorado?), and then likely dip down south to hit Arizona/Utah/Nevada before heading up through Oregon and ultimately Washington. Obviously, travelling during the time of the year that we are, I believe weather will be the deciding factor on how far we make it west before having to go south. I figure our overall route would look something like this… again, the idea is to not plan our next stop more than a couple days in advance, keeping in mind the general idea of places we want to visit and giving us the flexibility to modify our trip as wanted or needed.

Attachment 387346

Anyways, looking for recommendations as well as any ‘must see’ places and awesome boondocking spots along the way that you are willing to share!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

If you haven’t see the Gateway Arch in St. Louis it’s worth a stop. You need to take the ride to the top to truly appreciate.

Also, as mentioned there is a ton to see and do in Utah with Moab, Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat’l Park at the top of the list. If you end up at the South Rim, you can make your way north to Page, AZ. Lake Powell is there and used to be spectacular, but has been impacted by drought the last 10-15 years. The red rock walls of the canyon make for a dramatic background. From there you can route yourself back to the east a bit and drive through Monument Valley and on to Moab and/or the four corners area.

If you do go to four corners as someone suggested I’d recommend a visit to Mesa Verde Nat’l Park in far SW Colorado. The cliff dwellings and history of why they even existed is interesting. If you are able take the tour and climb the ladders as you get right into a dwelling.

Happy Trails!
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:08 PM   #20

Since you're moving to Bremerton, WA area I would suggest that if you haven't done all you want in the eastern U.S. states and Midwest to spend a lot of time in those. Any plans to return east?

Since you'll be in WA you'll have plenty of opportunities to tour in depth the western states.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote