Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #15

i appreciate the thought but we tried PA a few yrs back. it didn’t work for us but, thanks.

doing 1 and 2 nighters is unusual for us. we’re doing it now just to get home. we’ll be at Oasis RV in Amarillo. we like ALBQ as well...always seems like there’s more to see whenever we pass thru.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #16

I like free to $15 a night, never over $20.... people like different things.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I like free to $15 a night, never over $20.... people like different things.
very, very true. safe travels to you if you're on the road.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #18

Day 3 - Still in Albuquerque

a mechanical issue kept us in ALBQ today. problem solved. on to Amarillo tomorrow (not by morning, more like mid to late afternoon).
Old 05-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #19

That's the way I like to travel, no rush and about 300-mile days.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
Takin the high road

Rk911 sorry about mechanical. Wish I could have helped. We were in Albq. Now in Guymun Ok. Headed for Emporia Ks today. Safe travels 🙏
JIMBO34PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
Rk911 sorry about mechanical. Wish I could have helped. We were in Albq. Now in Guymun Ok. Headed for Emporia Ks today. Safe travels 🙏
thanks, Jim...was a bit of a challenge but we're good to go...i hope. lol. take care.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
That's the way I like to travel, no rush and about 300-mile days.
us, too. no place i gotta be and all day to get there.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #23

Day 4 - Albuquerque to Amarillo

I-40 all the way today, a mix of good and horrible sections. lots of traffic mostly OTR trucks but more 4-wheelers than on the previous segments. a few more RVers also. we passed three rest areas in NM between ALBQ and the TX line. the only one closed was just west of Tucumcari. no formal rest stops in TX between the NM line and exit 60 in Amarillo but there were several 'picnic areas'. all were open and full of trucks. those drivers deserve a huge thank-you...and more.

we're spending the next two nights at the Oasis RV Park. this is our usual park in Amarillo. long, wide and level FHU pull-thrus, clear skies for those with sat dishes. check-in was advertised as curbside but when we pulled up two people were walking out of the office so i called and was given the choice of getting oral instructions or coming in to get my receipt and materials. i chose to go in. clerk was masked. i was not. going to enjoy my day of rest.

leaving Monday for Oklahoma City.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kellogg Iowa

rk911 ; Spent saturday night in Emporia Ks . Was going to Wallydock but wanted to do laundry so did Emporia Rv Park. Nothing special gravel but FHU. Now in Kellogg Rv Park , another nice park for overnite. It appears Iowa is opened, Be back in Garden Prairie tomorrow .
Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
rk911 ; Spent saturday night in Emporia Ks . Was going to Wallydock but wanted to do laundry so did Emporia Rv Park. Nothing special gravel but FHU. Now in Kellogg Rv Park , another nice park for overnite. It appears Iowa is opened, Be back in Garden Prairie tomorrow .
very good, Jim. we're taking it a bit slower...250-300 miles per day. may take another day "off the road" before pulling in the drive at the end of the week. safe drive tomorrow for you and hope you z d yours stay well.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #26

I've been stuck at home for the past 6 weeks and it's not that great. I'm ready to just hook up the rig and start driving anywhere.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #27

Day 5 - Amarillo to Okla City via I-44

we left the Oasis RV Park at 9am stopping at the Flying J in Amarillo at exit 76 to top off the tank. We both noticed a significant reduction in traffic on that short 16-mi drive. we've been through Amarillo many many times and compared to "nornal" Amarillo was a virtual ghost town. the same was true for our trip through Albuquerque two days earlier.

heading east from the J and all the way to OK City traffic volume was about normal but there were significantly more autos and fewer trucks. the I-44 roadbed is good...excellent in fact in OK between the TX border and Elk City. between Elk City and OK there are a couple of short rough stretches but overall still good. one rest stop was closed for maintenance but the 'picnic area' at MP 111 is open. we stopped at the Flying J at Sayre OK (MP 20) for lunch and pretty much had the lot to ourselves. all in all a very EZ driving day.

overnight was at the Mustang Run RV Park at exit 138 in Yukon, OK. this is a small park with ~75 spots, mostly long, level FHU pull thrus. the office is open. the park is right next to I-44 so traffic noise is an issue but as it was 95-deg we had the AC running and the noise was no factor. the park is clean and appears well maintained. in our opinion it's suitable for an overnight or even a short multi-day stay. we dodged a severe storm last night that produced baseball and softball sized hail.

heading out in about an hour for Carthage MO and the Big Red Barn RV Park.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rk911: don't rush to get back.We are spudded in Illinois. Masks required , saw people get turned away from WM. Good news , finally able to score a bottle of hand sanitizer ��. Stay well travel safe.