Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Michigan flies?

Hi folks.

We're working up a plan for next summer and, since we'll already be in southern Indiana, going along the eastern or western shore of Michigan for a couple or weeks or a month.

We've become dimly aware that biting flies are a problem at least part of the summer. We're used to mosquitos, no-see-ums and deerflies in the southeast, but that doesn't mean we like them.

So what part of the season, June through August, do you recommend, and where? "Go somewhere else" is also a valid answer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #2

It sounds like you're talking about the black flies in the UP. If you're talking the eastern or western shore of Michigan, I take that as staying south of the bridge where black flies are nowhere near as invasive as what you encounter in the upper peninsula. You may want to specify for others as to what part of Michigan you're looking to travel to.
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

The flies are bad in June. August/Sept are good months to tour the very busy Michigan.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

We're thinking up to Alpena maybe.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

We’ve been up to Whitefish Point to the Shipwreck Museum in August, No Flys.
It’s beautiful up there
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateboy View Post
It sounds like you're talking about the black flies in the UP. If you're talking the eastern or western shore of Michigan, I take that as staying south of the bridge where black flies are nowhere near as invasive as what you encounter in the upper peninsula. You may want to specify for others as to what part of Michigan you're looking to travel to.
That been our experience with the flies biting. Its in the up'er. lower no issues with flies. And I can not think of an issue on the eastern side of the up'er.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
We're thinking up to Alpena maybe.
If Alpena is your destination, Harrisville State Park is 33 miles south of Alpena and right on Lake Huron. Site 51 gives you your own chunk of beach and beautiful lake sunrises. Most breezy evenings will keep the pests away. A rainy summer will dictate your mosquitoes count but black flies are scarce.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #8

StateBoy

Hey StateBoy. PM me if you get a chance. I live in SJ and am curious as to what coach, 5er or TT you are running.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Hey StateBoy. PM me if you get a chance. I live in SJ and am curious as to what coach, 5er or TT you are running.
I sent you a message on my pull behind travel trailer.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #10

Mosquitos can really depend on the location. For example, 2 years ago in mid July I took a trip to MI to visit relatives and to camp. Fort Custer SP near Battle Creek was Mosquito Central, the CG was so thick with 'em it was difficult to be outside. The municipal CG at Six Lakes was virtually bug free, and so was Petoskey SP. Muskallonge Lake had a few pesky flying insects, but nothing too discouraging.

Camping in heavily wooded areas where there isn't much breeze is more likely to have lots of skeeters than a more open CG, as you can imagine. But there are always exceptions to the rule. Even so, you can increase your odds of being un-bugged by camping on shorelines and such in the lower peninsula (the UP is different due to the black flies, which are somewhat unpredictable but they do frequent the beaches!).

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:38 PM   #11

Thanks folks, we'll plan appropriately.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Thanks folks, we'll plan appropriately.
In June of 2017 I had to buy a head-to-toe mesh mosquito/fly suit to go outside the coach to do anything. We were in the Bay Furnace Campground in the UP.
The suit is available as I don't intend to return. [emoji26]
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
In June of 2017 I had to buy a head-to-toe mesh mosquito/fly suit to go outside the coach to do anything. We were in the Bay Furnace Campground in the UP.
The suit is available as I don't intend to return. [emoji26]
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
Good decision. Thank you.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #14

We were in the UP the first week of August this year. Bugs weren't an issue, but a bat got in our rig during one night somehow. We both ended up having to get the series of rabies shots...
JK