Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
michigan state parks

We want to go to Michigan and stay in the state parks on the great lakes or along waterways. We have never been up there and I would appreciate information on state parks that can accomidate a 33 foot MH with 30 amp e .
We have no problem dry camping as we are self contained and we really enjoy boon docking. We just need information on this.
Many Thanks

Thank a Vet for your freedoms.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to the Michigan Web Site (SOM - State of Michigan) then to DNR (Department of Natural Resources) I believe the park web sites give you size limits.

I've never been to a State park with my motor home so can not tell you what it will fit in.

I have been to a few very nice Michigan State Parks however..

But budget limits me to membership parks for the next 2 years.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #3

When making a Michigan State Park online camp site reservation, one of the questions is about the RV. Type, size etc. The reservation system will give you choices where you can fit. Works great.

http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchPark.aspx
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been to most state parks along Lake Michigan and would recommend them all, except maybe Grand Haven State Park. Too tight... they pack you in like sardines in Grand Haven.
jprisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Lakeport State Park on Lake Huron has plenty of room for your rig size.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #6

You might want to check on getting an annual pass. We only stayed in an MI SP once at Sterling SP in Monroe. They charged $6 bucks a day for our toad and $6 once for the Bounder (has a motor) plus the site fee. So that was our first and last stay a an MI park. Not a friendly state if your just passing thru.

Bob
Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Michigan State Parks are nice. But be prepaired for the cost to be high for us out-of-staters. All of the cost may not be listed with an on-line reservation. If I recall correctly, besides the out of state fee, there's the daily entry fee plus another fee for your towed vehicle. Last time we stayed in a MI park (3 or 4 years ago), they had us up to the $44/night range. I've heard the cost has gone up since then. We have stayed in some nice county parks that were far less costly than the state parks. For that matter we have stayed in several private parks that were excellent for less money than the state system.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
if u go over the mac bridge west on us2 brevort state forest camp ground very nice. big rig ok . no hook ups .
safe travels bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh yes, in the UP, there is a town called Paradise (You'll be glad you made it) There is a State Park a few miles west of town.. Tahquemenon Falls State Park.

Microsoft Streets and Trips knows the location. The Lower Falls state park is where the campground is. If you read the "Song of Hiawatha" (Free Kindle Book) the "Swiftly Falling Stream" referenced is the Tahquemenon river.. The waterfall is not all that high, (perhaps 20 feet) but in gallons it's #2 in the country (Niagra is #1) which is kind of impressive, also it is golden in color.

And where as Niagra there is commercial develeopoment extending out OVER the falls, nearest business (Other than a canoe livery) to Tahquemenon is the park store, a good hike back through the woods.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending of where you want to stay, there are numerous parks that will highlight Michigan. I completely agree with a previous poster to stay away from Grand Haven State Park! If you put your awning out you are almost touching the next unit. Add the fact that you are parked on asphalt and no sewer hookups, it really isn't the best. My suggestion is to to find a privately run park because most of the state parks are probably already booked by now. They begin taking reservations after the first of the year and fill up very quickly. We drove past the Silver Lake park last summer and it looked beautiful and is on Lake Michigan. It is next to the dune rides and appears to be very clean. A "hand map" of the approximate location is to look at your right palm and the tip of the little finger is approximately where it is. Gotta love Michigan....
Old 05-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Many beautiful State Parks are found in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Most if not all are Big Rig friendly. There is so much to see ie Tahquemenon Falls (already stated) and Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, both in Paradise area, Soo Locks and shipping canal in Sault Ste Marie, Fort Wilkins State park in the Keweenaw Peninsula at Copper Harbor is some of the most picturesque you'll ever see. I live here and am spoiled by it all.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I stayed at the Tawas State Park last year. You need to get reservations early. It's on the point of a narrow peninsula, so you are surrounded by beaches and water. Lots of walking paths, beaches, lighthouse, wildlife. There are pull thru's and large sites that easily accomodated our 42 foot coach. Well worth the stay.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote