Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #15

Both campgrounds at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park are both good. Presque Isle on the west side is no-hook ups and is walking distance to a great waterfall loop. Union Bay is the "modern" campground with some great sites along the Superior shore.

Stay away from Wandering Wheels campground near Munising. Expensive, dirty, with tight sites that share picnic table/fire pits, etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #16

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...7!4d-84.719492
right on the straights and a view of the big Mac bridge
Old 06-04-2016, 12:04 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used to as a kid live about 30 miles from Mackinac Bridge (yes i'm a troll, we lived under the bridge if you lived over the bridge you were called a yooper). I liked it when we drove over the bridge at night when they turn the lights on. I drove over it two years ago when it was snowing. My brother still live up there in the woods.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
We make a yearly trip to the UP to visit close friends that have a fly-in at the Sidnaw Airport (Prickett-Grooms) We took the Winnie up last year and ended up traveling the left side of the lake. Our plans were to go up on the left side and return on the right side but we had not thought about the bridge walk and how it would interfere with our travel.

This is my question: It was easy enough in the old class C to pay for the toll. How do you handle that task in a Class A with limited access through the drivers side window?
Old 07-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

Tim I keep the screen out of the window for that purpose. Slide the window open and hand them your $10. But if you're pulling a trailer or car then have a $20 ready
Old 07-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
My screen slides with the window. Are the toll operators bused to stepping out to reach for your toll
Old 07-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #21

I've never had one leave the booth yet. I put the money out and they have no problem reaching to take it.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
...How do you handle that task in a Class A with limited access through the drivers side window?
Been thru tons of toll booths with the coach ... and can say with 100% confidence they have no trouble taking your money! The bigger challenge in some locations is the physical layout of the toll both itself. Some of them have a ton of concrete that leave just a couple of inches on either side of the coach as you squeeze thru them. You'll also want to keep a close eye on your mirrors. I've had a couple that we barely cleared!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Been thru tons of toll booths with the coach ... and can say with 100% confidence they have no trouble taking your money! The bigger challenge in some locations is the physical layout of the toll both itself. Some of them have a ton of concrete that leave just a couple of inches on either side of the coach as you squeeze thru them. You'll also want to keep a close eye on your mirrors. I've had a couple that we barely cleared!!!
Good thing is that if you are successful at getting the tires between the curbs it becomes much like going through the car wash hands off LOL, not really but close.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camped at Wilderness State Park over the July 4th weekend. Nice park a few miles west of Mackinaw. The numbered camp sites (1-150) do not meet MSHappyCampers requirements. 30 amp and lots of trees to block sat TV signals. But the letter sites (A-R) might work out. Fairly new camp sites and you should get a view of the southwest over the tree tops.

The numbered sites are in the center but over to the left you can see the letter sites. View is looking towards the south east.

Crossing the Mac Bridge was no big deal in a 32' coach with a CRV in tow but it is impressive. Can't remember what the cost was but $20 or so sticks in my mind. Took the far right lane for the extra width (already damaged the coach a few days earlier on the West Virginia Turnpike).

Looking south towards Mackinaw city.

Crossed the bridge and drove across the UP to Fayette State Park July 4-6. A bit secluded with limited cell service but free WiFi at the visitor center. Not sure about Direct TV but we did OK on Dish.

New camp ground bath house construction at the end of the campsite access road.

This was our second July adventure thru the UP. Was up there July 2014. Perfect weather both times. No need for the coach AC while camped. Lake water was a bit colder then I prefer but the water was very clear. Roads were good and traffic minimal.

If you care to drive a few hours further north into Canada Pancake Bay Provincial Park is a very nice park but 30 amp only.

The view from the door of the coach. If there are black flies or misquotes I sure didn't see any, both times.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Paradise...MI.

Paradise is a nice place along the shore of Lake Superior. Taquamenon Falls state park is a must see. Peak waster color is in the fall like October but it's very nice in the summer as well. There are camp grounds both inside and outside of the state park. The park has a good resturauant/micro brewery. Also there is a way cool ship wreck museum at Whitefish Point if you like that sort of thing. Be warned though, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" will be stuck in your head for days after leaving there!

Tags
campground