Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota

I am planning a trip from Florida going to the Great Lakes then into Canada. Should I just go into Michigan and go into Canada or should I go thru Wisconsin and Minnesota and into Canada? I know this is an open in question as their is lots of coastline to visit and the extra miles by going thru Wisconsin and Minnesota is going to add up. Has anyone gone into Canada from Minnesota and gone all the way to Maine? If so what did you like and not like? Time is not an issue as we are retired and will be on the road for at least 5 months. Thanks for your assistance.

Tom
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think this is kind of a hard question to answer. It all depends in what you want to see and do. If there is no time restraint I guess the longer trip would cover it all. Good luck in your decision and have a great time. Be Safe!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

Going to Canada by way of the North Shore of Lake Superior is awesome. Some grand state parks and lovely sights

http://www.northshorevisitor.com/act...aterfalls.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

Steve n Sal, I understand it is a tough question to answer and since time isn't an issue I will probably do the long way around. Nut don't want to miss something in Michigan

CampDaven, thanks for the link. Will I be sorry if I don't see Michigan? I am sure there is plenty to see in Wisconsin and a long Lake Michigan. Do you know of a link like the one you posted for going along Wisconsin and Lake Michigan?

Thanks for your advise, Tom
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
Steve n Sal, I understand it is a tough question to answer and since time isn't an issue I will probably do the long way around. Nut don't want to miss something in Michigan CampDaven, thanks for the link. Will I be sorry if I don't see Michigan? I am sure there is plenty to see in Wisconsin and a long Lake Michigan. Do you know of a link like the one you posted for going along Wisconsin and Lake Michigan? Thanks for your advise, Tom
Just google "visit michigan" and visit wisconsin".

You can go into and out of Canada at International Falls, MN and Saulte Ste. Marie, Michigan. Up one way and down the other. It is part of the great lakes circle tour. This way you see all 3 states.

And dont forget campgroundreviews.com for camping spots.

Happy Trails!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
When you get to Sault Ste. Marie on the Michigan side, stay at Aune Osborn CG. You will get a chance to watch the ore freighters getting ready to enter/exit the locks from close up. I am amazed every time I see one of the ore freighters from up close. They are huge!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 on the Aune-Osborn campground . . . but get your reservation in early, they fill up fast. Try to get a spot right on the river. Great place, great staff there, too.

City of Sault Ste Marie Municipal Website - Aune Osborn Campground
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

For a treat, stop in Bayfield Wisconsin. Go to Madeline Island.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

Yes, you'll be sorry if you skip Michigan!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #10

Don't forget your "passport". I think there is a short "visitor" passport available, at less cost.
I 75 will take you all the way, thru Michigan. Wisconsin will take you around Chicago, and a lot of toll roads, unless you head West via I 64 to I 57, to I 74, to I 39 and North. Even go West to Mississippi river road, North.
Either way, if you want to see both Michigan AND Wisconsin, you will have to make the "circle", around Lake Michigan. You have the time, so just do it.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
X2 on Bayfield, We toured around the Bayfield aera with a car club we are members of. Great place a must see.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #12

I vote for Michigan! But then, I AM a Michigan fan. Have been camping in that state for over fifty years (my father loved the state too)! But, I like hiking, lighthouses, walking along the beach and watching sunsets/sunrises. If you decide on Michigan, I can suggest lots of stops for you. Get off I75 and pick 23 from Toledo to Flint. In Birch Run, you must stop at Tony's for quite a treat! A BLT there is on Italian bread and comes with one pound of bacon. You need to experience this place at least once. In Michigan you can drive through Hell, stop at the Gay Bar and visit The Last Place on Earth. You can be near a beach and see a sunrise or sunset every day depending on which side of the state you are on. The upper peninsula ... You can drive from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior, have time to picnic and search the beach for agates and still be back by dinner. Since you mentioned Canada also, you may want to take the circle drive around Lake Superior. That way you could visit Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin and Minnesota!

One more thing...can I come too?
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #13

I haven't done the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan, but it is on my list. On the Wisconsin side Door County is the best shoreline even though going out on the peninsula is a bit of a detour. Don't skip it if you come that way.
For another alternative take a look at the other side of the state and follow the Mississippi River North. Then on to the north Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota - simply stunning!
Sounds like a fantastic trip whichever route you decide on.
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote