Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

MN to TX via I35

I will be traveling from MN to central TX in August. The basic quick route is to take Interstate 35 S pretty much all the way.

This will have me going through the large cities of Kansas City, Tulsa, and Dallas.

Are there alternate RV friendly paths to use that bypass these large cities that will not take me too far off course that you would recommend?

My goal unfortunately is not relaxed sight-seeing but rather just a get-there-quick-and-alive trip.

Any road construction head-ups?

Any stretches that should be avoided for potential highway closures due to protests (riots, cough cough)?

Do you have a time of day suggestion for going through these cities that is generally better that I could coordinate for the trip? My travel days will be limited to Thursday, Friday, & Saturday.

Thanks!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I-35 does not go through Tulsa ... it does go through Oklahoma City, however. As long as you avoid the typical rush hour traffic, if there really is a rush hour nowadays, you should be good in KC and OKC ... Dallas/Ft. Worth can present a challenge, though. Often the I-35W (through Ft. Worth) option is better than the I-35E route (through Dallas).
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
As Warren said, depending on where you are going in TX, avoid Dallas on I35. The Fort Worth route is much shorter and easier. Most of the construction on I35 through FW is completed.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #4

Be aware part of I-35 in Kansas is a toll road
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I-35 does not go through Tulsa ... it does go through Oklahoma City, however. As long as you avoid the typical rush hour traffic, if there really is a rush hour nowadays, you should be good in KC and OKC ... Dallas/Ft. Worth can present a challenge, though. Often the I-35W (through Ft. Worth) option is better than the I-35E route (through Dallas).
You are correct! The directions have me going on 169S out of Kansas City. That takes me through Tulsa and then Dallas. If I stay on I35 it goes through OKC and then Ft Worth.

Would you say the OKC/Ft Worth route is better than Tulsa/Dallas route?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Be aware part of I-35 in Kansas is a toll road
Thank you!

What is the best option for that toll section? Is it ok to stop at the booths & pay or is there an electronic set-up that is much better?
Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
US Hwy 281 runs from North Dakota to the bottom of Texas. Not sure where you will be starting from in MN, but you could probably pick it up in SD and take it all the way.

I only know the Texas part of that route but we take 281 instead of I35 pretty much all the time.

It may not be convenient for you, but I just wanted to throw it out there.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #8

KZ RV Club
I 35 Mn to Texas

From Oklahoma City south you are on I 35, at Denton TX, you have the choice of 35W, which goes to FT Worth or 35E that goes to Dallas. It becomes 35 again in Hillsboro Tx, about 50 miles south of both cities.
Depending on where you ultimately intend to go, there are other options around or thru the meteroplex.
I live 30 miles south of either downtown, and I can tell you there is construction thru both downtowns.In Ft Worth, 35W is shorter across the city, but north of the outer loop, 820, is construction. Plus there is a bottle neck at the downtown mixmaster as lanes stop and start. The loop is along way around, but it will get you through with no construction. If you choose 35E, going to Dallas, take Loop 12 south, then spur 408 south. This will take you between Dallas and Irving, and bring to I 20 in s/w Dallas, go east on I 20 back to 35E.
If you tell me where your headed, maybe I can give you a path.
Safe travels
Kirt
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlotexan View Post
From Oklahoma City south you are on I 35, at Denton TX, you have the choice of 35W, which goes to FT Worth or 35E that goes to Dallas. It becomes 35 again in Hillsboro Tx, about 50 miles south of both cities.

Depending on where you ultimately intend to go, there are other options around or thru the meteroplex.

I live 30 miles south of either downtown, and I can tell you there is construction thru both downtowns.In Ft Worth, 35W is shorter across the city, but north of the outer loop, 820, is construction. Plus there is a bottle neck at the downtown mixmaster as lanes stop and start. The loop is along way around, but it will get you through with no construction. If you choose 35E, going to Dallas, take Loop 12 south, then spur 408 south. This will take you between Dallas and Irving, and bring to I 20 in s/w Dallas, go east on I 20 back to 35E.

If you tell me where your headed, maybe I can give you a path.

Safe travels

Kirt
Thank you! Much appreciated.

My destination is Killeen.

I would prefer to stay out of traffic as much as possible so I am open to going around.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #10

Hop over to US 281 for a lovely trip through Texas. You will bypass the I-35 corridor and the traffic in the DFW area. When you get to Lampasas, TX, turn east on US 190 and go to Killeen.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #11

KZ RV Club
I 35 Mn to Texas

If you decide to do 35 south from either Dallas or Ft Worth, you will have construction through Waco. About 6 miles of narrow rough lanes. I have had to do it multiple times these years as we have camped that way and our dealer is in Waco.
I love the 281 route as suggested, but if your looking for the fastest and most straight through, stick to either 35, just don't try and come through 6am to 9am or 3pm to 6 pm, rush hour is tough in either city.
I'd look at stopping south of OKC, and plan on hitting DFW 10ish.
For me, I would come 35E, to Loop 12 South, to spur 408, to I 20 east, back over to 35E. This will run you between Dallas and Irving, into s/w Dallas

Regardless, you need to stop at a Buccee's.
Many Texans consider them almost a right of passage on any trip.
Cheaper fuel, 100 pumps and the cleanest restrooms ever.

If you go US281, it is a rolling scenic drive, that brings into the northern tip of the hill country.
at Lampassas is a Stripes gas station on the east side of the road, easy in and out for the rv'er

I was on Kansas turnpike this spring, toll plaza was quick and easy.

Safe travels
Kirt
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #12

If you stick with the I 35 route don't take I 35 through the heart of KC. Take the I 435 loup around the east and south side. And be aware that I 35 on the Kansas side of KC is in pretty rough shape unless things have recently changed.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlotexan View Post
If you decide to do 35 south from either Dallas or Ft Worth, you will have construction through Waco. About 6 miles of narrow rough lanes. I have had to do it multiple times these years as we have camped that way and our dealer is in Waco.

I love the 281 route as suggested, but if your looking for the fastest and most straight through, stick to either 35, just don't try and come through 6am to 9am or 3pm to 6 pm, rush hour is tough in either city.

I'd look at stopping south of OKC, and plan on hitting DFW 10ish.

For me, I would come 35E, to Loop 12 South, to spur 408, to I 20 east, back over to 35E. This will run you between Dallas and Irving, into s/w Dallas

Regardless, you need to stop at a Buccee's.

Many Texans consider them almost a right of passage on any trip.

Cheaper fuel, 100 pumps and the cleanest restrooms ever.

If you go US281, it is a rolling scenic drive, that brings into the northern tip of the hill country.

at Lampassas is a Stripes gas station on the east side of the road, easy in and out for the rv'er

I was on Kansas turnpike this spring, toll plaza was quick and easy.

Safe travels

Kirt
Are there any tolls on this route that I need to know about?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
If you stick with the I 35 route don't take I 35 through the heart of KC. Take the I 435 loup around the east and south side. And be aware that I 35 on the Kansas side of KC is in pretty rough shape unless things have recently changed.
Thank you!