Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

Montreal & Quebec City summer 2020

I’m starting to plan an itinerary for our summer 2020 vacation. We would likely have 16 days. My general plan is to head from our home base in Connecticut to the 1000 Islands region of New York/Canada. From there would move on to Montreal, then Quebec City before heading home, perhaps with a stop in Vermont or Maine. This would give us a nice 1100 mile loop.

I’ve identified some possible campgrounds outside of Montreal and Quebec City so that day trips into the cities should be easy. I also want to explore some of the smaller towns in the area (e.g., Plessisville) as part of my interest in my genealogy. Any suggestions on how to divide up the time? Number of nights per location? Additional places to add to the list?

Thanks!
beccaf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Do not miss the Boldt Castle in Alexandria Bay, NY. Allow 4-5 hours for the visit.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

When in Montreal, the churches are some of the finest architecture around. Quebec City has the old fort, as well as much historic flavour. When we were there last summer, one of our friends wanted to see Saint Anne de Beaupres. It is a church east of Quebec City about half hour. It is quite interesting to see.

On our way there, we past a really neat waterfalls that we had not even heard of. It is called Montmorency Falls. It has a gondola you can take to the top, or a set of stairs that you can walk up. You can also drive to the top, and park. There is a bridge over the falls at the top. I think it was about $12 for a carload to enter the park. The gondola was extra. It was kind of a neat treasure to find, about 20 minutes east of Quebec City. Here are two videos, one from the bottom, and one from the top. There are other videos on my channel of Quebec City as well. Cheers
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Do not miss the Boldt Castle in Alexandria Bay, NY. Allow 4-5 hours for the visit.

Thanks, adding it to the list!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
When in Montreal, the churches are some of the finest architecture around. Quebec City has the old fort, as well as much historic flavour. When we were there last summer, one of our friends wanted to see Saint Anne de Beaupres. It is a church east of Quebec City about half hour. It is quite interesting to see.

On our way there, we past a really neat waterfalls that we had not even heard of. It is called Montmorency Falls. It has a gondola you can take to the top, or a set of stairs that you can walk up. You can also drive to the top, and park. There is a bridge over the falls at the top. I think it was about $12 for a carload to enter the park. The gondola was extra. It was kind of a neat treasure to find, about 20 minutes east of Quebec City. Here are two videos, one from the bottom, and one from the top. There are other videos on my channel of Quebec City as well. Cheers

Thanks for sharing the videos! Looks amazing! Now I need to check my ancestry account...St. Anne’s sounds familiar. May have relatives who were married there.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #6

Check out Ottawa.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
Check out Ottawa.
x2

Fun city, Interesting exploring Canada's government buildings and history, walk along the canal and river.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaf1970 View Post
I’m starting to plan an itinerary for our summer 2020 vacation. We would likely have 16 days. My general plan is to head from our home base in Connecticut to the 1000 Islands region of New York/Canada. From there would move on to Montreal, then Quebec City before heading home, perhaps with a stop in Vermont or Maine. This would give us a nice 1100 mile loop.

I’ve identified some possible campgrounds outside of Montreal and Quebec City so that day trips into the cities should be easy. I also want to explore some of the smaller towns in the area (e.g., Plessisville) as part of my interest in my genealogy. Any suggestions on how to divide up the time? Number of nights per location? Additional places to add to the list?

Thanks!
Were from CT we did a similar trip 2 summers ago except we went up through VT, Quebec City, Montreal, 1000 Island NP and back down through NY to CT

Rockport Cruises on the Ontario side of 1000 Island NP made a great day trip for visiting Boldt Castle.

If you can, look into booking Association Island KOA, NY

Have fun and safe travels
Mike
Old 12-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

Thank you all for the recommendations! Adding Ottawa to the list. Any thoughts on amount of time in each location?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

Hi beecaf ,hope you like it up here, I myself live 15 minutes from Plessisville, try to book camp ground real soon if you are being here during Quebec summer vacation,nearly booked 6 months before date,have been to many campgrounds near and about Quebec City and Montreal, many choices will be open to you but tell me do you search for family activités or you and you wife alone ,?
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

When visiting the fort at Old Quebec City, don't miss the promenade overlooking the St Lawrence river. It is in front of the old Fort, and a walking trail leads to it from the gazebo area at the fort. Cheers
Old 12-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaf1970 View Post
Thank you all for the recommendations! Adding Ottawa to the list. Any thoughts on amount of time in each location?
2 maybe three days for Montreal, 3 maybe 4 days for Quebec City.

Mike
Old 12-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
2 full days for Ottawa. It is a wonderful city.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote