Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #1

More Fort Pickens Restrictions

Was looking at the web site today. Starting in January 2022 length restriction of 32 feet!! Thatís combined length of truck and trailer, motorhome and toad. Must present RV registration at check in. Been going there for 18 years with fifth wheel. Makes me feel better about my decision to buy a 31 foot class C earlier this year!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Walker View Post
Was looking at the web site today. Starting in January 2022 length restriction of 32 feet!! That’s combined length of truck and trailer, motorhome and toad. Must present RV registration at check in. Been going there for 18 years with fifth wheel. Makes me feel better about my decision to buy a 31 foot class C earlier this year!!
Guess Ill be stopping elsewhere although last time I was there I could have fit a 45’ in my space so this doesn't make any sense to me.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #3

We've been there with our 40' motorhome. Now it states 32' long and 12' high. Wonder what the issue is. The reservation site does mention if you show up in something else other that the 32' x 12' high you're not guaranteed a site depending on your size.

Gulf State Park would be a better option. It's very nice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've been there with our 40' motorhome. Now it states 32' long and 12' high. Wonder what the issue is. The reservation site does mention if you show up in something else other that the 32' x 12' high you're not guaranteed a site depending on your size.

Gulf State Park would be a better option. It's very nice.
Looks great and lots of attractions near by - trails, restaurants, shops, historical site, golf (for those so afflicted), and plenty of beach! Its now in my list
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

I know the Federal parks have this " No Tires on the Grass " rule.
Maybe it's being inforced there now.

Also seen some really DEEP ruts next to the pavement, from the long, heavy rigs having to cut across the grass, backing in to the sites.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #6

Here is their explanation.

I have a 25 ft MH and a 17 ft toad. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211208-191850_Recreationgov.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	350986
Old 12-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Several campgrounds, at least half a dozen, had me park on or drive across grass from Upstate NY all the way through New England to the farthest reaches of Maine and back last June/July with no issues, although I was apprehensive at times.

Then in Indiana I got my passenger side rears in the grass in a campground trying to make my rig fit the site (should have had them assign me to a different site) and sank. Two pick-ups, a lot of jacking and fire wood, and enough cable and I finally got out (Indiana should be called the “Can Do” state), but it was not a pleasant activity.

So now Im back to “extremely apprehensive” when it comes to grass. Just not worth the risk.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
32' MAXIMUM combined length?

My truck is almost 22' long all by itself. With the trailer we are close to 60' long plus we are 13'-4" high. Gess they are eliminating a lot of RVers.

Ken
Old 12-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #9

I know Iím in the minority here, but I actually applaud Fort Pickens for doing this and if they actually go through with it, enforcing the length restrictions through registration.

The reason Iím happy; Because some campgrounds were just not designed, built, situated, and suited for certain RV setups, and having set restrictions like this will make the campground and others campers time more enjoyable. Less headaches all around. Thereís nothing like being stuck in the road trying to get to your spot while you wait for the 1 ton super extended dually with the 45ft toy hauler 5th wheel to try and finagle their way into a spot designed for a car and a tent, all because itís the last spot in the campground or because they heard that they could fit 70í of truck and trailer into a 35í camp spot, and darn itÖ theyíre going to make it fit no matter what.

I can understand people being upset and frustrated with the fact that a nice campground is no longer available for them, especially when the spots can accommodate bigger than the restriction size. But on the flip side, if you want to be able to camp at as many campgrounds possible then you should get a smaller RV setup. Many people (myself included) have shorter trailers, vans, motorhomes for the sole reason of being able to fit into small campgrounds.

But I would take a guess that the campground finally got to the point of not wanting to deal with people not fitting into a site (and thus demanding to be moved to a more suitable site), or newbie campers trying to squeeze 36í into a 32í spot (in most campgrounds it can be done) and holding other people up.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #10

I agree that they were stuffing some long RVs on some short sites but I'm over the limit with a 25 ft RV and toad.

I was there last month and both the RV and toad fit in my site. I use a tow dolly but I parked that in the overflow area.

I did the same thing at a previous Federal CG and the host told me, after the fact, that I could have left the dolly hitched up and on the Grass.

You just never know.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #11

Huh. A combined 32' length restriction will eliminate the majority of towed RVs.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
Huh. A combined 32' length restriction will eliminate the majority of towed RVs.
Chances are it wasn't very thoroughly thought out.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Chances are it wasn't very thoroughly thought out.
I agree, 32 feet is probably overkill. Imagine this might change after the campground gets a handle on things.

Just my opinion, the influx of new RVers not knowing etiquette and making more mistakes with their driving could have played a part in the making of this decision.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #14

That pretty much eliminates any rv with a toad. I wonder if you can park your toad down the street at one of the parking areas, not desirable but doable. There are many large parking areas on Ft Pickens
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote