Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #1

Most Beautiful

Hi, I have this fantasy. We are a family of 6 who love our 38 ft Monaco Windsor. We live in South Carolina and went on a 3 week road trip out west in June. The trip was awesome. Our children are 14, 13, 10, 8. The kids had a blast. What I love about RVing is what I call..."Building Memories" that will last for my children's lives.

Anyway, back to my fantasy... I see these advertisements... you know the ones that show a camper or motorhome parked in this beautiful campsite in the mountains on a lake. It looks pristine. I can't seem to ever find anything like this for us. I'm in the process of planning our trip for summer 2012, and I think we are going to stay east. In fact we are thinking from the Smokies to Michigan or somewhere around there.... maybe New England.

I'd really like to find one of these pristine spots, mountains (or at least hills), river, stream, lake, you know... something very beautiful...

Any ideas?
rdentist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Like you, we've been 'building memories' for our kids in an RV for 14 years. All those trips to national parks must have paid off as our one son is a chef who lives and works in Yosemite!

As for mose pristine campsites with woods, water and views, your best bet is a national or state park. Most commerical campgrounds have to turn a profit so they tend to pack in the RVs which cuts down on the peaceful feeling you are looking for. Also pristine sites in national or state park may not have hookups.

A few sites that I remember:
- Custer State Park in SD. Game Lodge Campground right by the creek.
- Spruce Run state recreation area in NJ. Site 16 right on the water. You'd never know you were in NJ
- Malibu RV Park - tight sites but great view of the Pacific
- Prizer Point, Lake Barkeley, KY - sites right on the water
- Nolin Lake, KY - Army Corps campground with sites on the water and full hookups
- Narrows II Campground in Trenton, ME (right before Acadia) - sites on the water where you can watch the tide go WAY out
- Worthington State Forest in NJ - camp right on the Delarware River
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
First off, what size / length RV do you have? That will weed out some options....

~ Vermont State Parks are very clean and outdoors.

~Also we found some of the Northern PA. State Parks have that CCC architecture and creek front sites with modern electric and new showerhouses. If you have ATT cell phones your guaranteed not to get service or any TV reception. And you might see some bears.....

~ One place we went this summer was fully upgraded even with a brand new pool. I asked the staff how this out of the way state park gets funding for all this and there are only 7 RV's on the weekend. ?? His answer "Don't tell anyone"....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have been to lots of great RV places in Northern Ontario and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I haven't lived back east for almost 20 years so things may have changed but if you want beautiful places for kids look into that area if it is within your travel borders outlined.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

Being from Colorado, I can't help you with anything east of the rockies. But, if you ever make it back out to my neck of the woods, send me a message as I know several spots that will fill your desires. But, you got to promise to keep them a secret.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
First off, what size / length RV do you have?
Jim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdentist99 View Post
We are a family of 6 who love our 38 ft Monaco Windsor.

A few I can think of off the top of my head:
Munising Tourist Park CG in MI - sites right on Lake Superior
Briar Point CG at Stonewall Jackson Resort in WV - mountains & a lake
Ives Run CG in PA - lakeview sites with views of the Allegheny Mtns in the background.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
With 4 kids and at those ages... GO HERE and they will love it... any one of them is good.
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Campground Directory - Fun Family Vacations
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We are building the same memories for our kids (12 and 15). And for us mom and dad too! I would echo Custer State Park in SD. Very beautiful. Probably the prettiest place we have stayed was State Forest State Park in Colorado. Northern MI is pretty, especially fromTraverse City through Petoskey. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
Probably the prettiest place we have stayed was State Forest State Park in Colorado.
Gary,

When was the last time you were at State Forest? I agree it is stunning, but I haven't been in the last few years. From what I hear, it has been devastated by our Mountain Pine Beetle infestation. I'm just curious if you've seen it this season or last and what your assessment is?

Thanks for the help!
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

Rdentist99
You only need to look at Lake Greenwood SC for the view of the lake. Cane Creek RV Resort and Marina in on the lake. Pontoon rental, clubhouse, pool and hot tub. Class A resort.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #11

Awesome! Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply. I have my homework now!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Stumblefoot............We were there in the summer of 2009. It was my understanding that a good chunk of those beautiful trees were going to be taken down because of the bug. Really sad. I don't know how extensive it was, and you might be right that it just devastated this campground. If so, what a shame, because this place was gorgous.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
PM me for a nice a small State Park in Northern PA. ( North of I-80) that will accommodate a 38' rig.....I was told by the staff to "not to tell anyone"
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
There are several campgrounds on the Blue Ridge Parkway that we love to go to that may fit your definition of a beautiful campsite and would fit your rig.

1. Crabtree Meadows Campground (now called Crabtree Falls but you get better Google results with Meadows).

This CG has a great hike to Crabtree Falls. Our children enjoyed the hike almost every day the week we were there two years ago. Also it is a good base from which to see things from Mount Mitchell to Grandfather Mountain.

2. Julian Price Park Campground.

It is by a small lake great for canoeing and kayaking (no motors allowed). We have been here multiple times, for a week last year. They have a nice flat trail around the lake, also Moses Cone 3 mi away has lots of trails with beautiful views plus the crafts center.

Both these campgrounds have sites big enough for your rig. We have fit our 34' motorhome on lakeside sites in Julian Price listed at 24' in Reserve America. We back in and the overhang is over the grass at the end of the site. Your coach may have too long a wheelbase for this, though.

There are other campgrounds on the Blue Ridge also, Mount Pisgah and Linville Falls have great hikes and views, we've stayed at both, sites at Pisgah may be a little short for your rig, we last stayed there with our old 26' coach.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote