Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #29

We were there this past June-July.
We had a blast
Did all the National Parks and Custer State Park in 10 days.
Total 7 if you include Minute Man.
Here is my video playlist on YouTube
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...8J78aT5sWdBXnj
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
Anyone out there been to Mount Rushmore? We looking to go in 2021 and are wondering what is the best time of year to go. Also, suggestions on nearby campgrounds.

The only thing I can tell you about Mount Rushmore is that if you spend more than about 45 minutes looking at that cliff I would be surprised. Plan some other activities if you're going to make that trip
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #31

Don’t go first 2 weeks of August. The Stirgis rally is on and it’s packed in the Black Hills area
Latschco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #32

We went a couple of times. We stayed at the mount Rushmore KOA which is very nice. Custer State Park is definitely worth a visit as well. Enjoy!
John Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
Anyone out there been to Mount Rushmore? We looking to go in 2021 and are wondering what is the best time of year to go. Also, suggestions on nearby campgrounds.
Late summer to Labor Day. Mt Rushmore KOA is wonderful
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #34

Mount Rushmore

As far as I am concerned, there is no good time to go to Mt. Rushmore or Wall Drugs. They are tourist traps. You would be so much happier if you got a picture of the Presidents and looked at it for 2 minutes as that is about all you could take of the real thing !
The Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #35

I'm from up there and the very best place to stay is www.hartranchresort.com It has everything anyone could want, in a great location. Best to visit from Memorial Day thru Labor day, but open all year round. Call them exactly 60 days prior to the date you wish to stay, it's right in the middle of every place there is to see, except the Badlands, you'll want to go there on a separate trip before or after Rushmore & Custer State Park. SO much to see & do, you will love it!
Miz Dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #36

My Rushmore

I’ve been many many times. All during Sturgis Rally in August. There are a couple of nicer RV parks around Keystone, which is the closest town to Mt Rushmore. But, please be extra careful on planning your arrival. There are a couple of tunnels you can’t get through, and no place to turn around. The KOA in Keystone is really nice, with more dining/drinking options than Keystone. It’s not very far to Rushmore either.
If you can, go before June 1. Although that might be completely irrelevant this year. After Labor Day is even better weather.
TucsonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latschco View Post
Don’t go first 2 weeks of August. The Stirgis rally is on and it’s packed in the Black Hills area
Sturgis 2021 is August 6 thru 15. The place clears out quick after it is over with however many people arrive early to ride the Black Hills so it is best to avoid the area from about July 25th till August 15th.(I was told this by several locals when I called about campground openings and rental cars.)

It is actually easy to get campsites right after Sturgis because everyone thinks that there will be people hanging on to ride the Hills, but mostly they are gone, so people won't reserve or try to camp the area the week following Sturgis.

I arrived in Spearfish on Tuesday after Sturgis had ended on Sunday. The campground told me on the phone they were wide open, and indeed there was one biker left and the next three days I only saw a very few individual bikers on the roads. On Monday and Tuesday as I was westbound on I-90 I saw many, and I do mean many motorhomes with cargo trailers behind them (full of bikes I suppose) and other RV's and vehicles that almost for sure had been to Sturgis, and they were all EASTBOUND.

Charles
Old 01-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #38

We stayed at Rushmore KOA last July just a couple miles from Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse ( a must see ).with lots of things to do .4 wheeling horseback riding and a really nice kids area if you're traveling with little ones
LarryLibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #39

Mt. Rushmore

We were there in June 2018. Highly recommend Custer State Park as a base of operations. Be sure to include Custer, Badlands, Wind Cave. We also did Yellowstone,

I would not go back to Crazy Horse but would be thrilled to do the rest all over again.

What you can do is largely a function of your age and physical abilities.

The elevation really affected us low landers where 380 ft elevation is called a mount.

Bill
bbill66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Went 2 yrs ago on the bike during Sturgis. You don’t go no where fast and sometimes can’t stop to see the sights. Avoid that timeframe.
We were on a budget, so we took the economy sight seeing tour around the backside.
At first, looking at the photo I thought 'disrespectful" Then I read the last sentence. Never saw it coming. Very good, a lot of wit. Enjoying life on the Far Side? Thank you.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #41

Greg

We stayed at the KOA in Custer. Beautiful campground. 'Suggest late Spring or earlyFall. Campgrounds in Custer close seasonally. They are at 6000 feet and the climate will be cooler than the Rapid City Area (elevation 3200 feet).
Gorgeous area....not far from Mt. Rushmore....beautiful drive!!
Greg Dohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #42

We stayed in town at the Lake Park Campground, thought it was great. We were there in mid July, avoided the madness of August Sturgis. You can fish the stream creek right by the camp. Lots to do and see. I drove a class A to a fishing camp near Absarokee MT from SoCal, fished my way up. Met my wife in Billings, and off to Rushmore,etc. I thought Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Custer St park we’re great. Deadwood was pretty cool, a little touristy. Home thru Laramie, Steamboat, Ouray CO, and Vegas. A lot of fun.

Rich
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote