Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #15

We went in September, one of our favorite times to go just about anywhere. We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch which was very nice. Also checked out Custers Gulch which was a nice place as well and we would probably stay there the next time we go to the area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Was there in July 2019 pre-pandemic, great national monument, if possible try to be there at dusk for the flag lowering and lighting show.
Was a moving experience.
Check out Deadwood as well...

We stayed at Elkhorn RV resort in spearfish, highly recommend.

https://elkhornridgeresort.com/?utm_...ornridgeresort
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #17

Not to hijack the thread , but are the first weeks of May a good time for visiting the bad lands and black hills areas?
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
As much as I personally enjoyed the area i don't think there's a bad time to see the area.... except winter!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
Anyone out there been to Mount Rushmore?

We looking to go in 2021 and are wondering what is the best time of year to go.

Also, suggestions on nearby campgrounds.
Visit time, as to "Best" is purely a personal preference - let me ask you What do you enjoy?

Where else do you plan on going on this Long Trip to the West?

Yellowstone also in your Sights? - Usually the Black Hills are part of a Bigger trip, so the more we know the more we can help you out on making this trip Epic.

I've been a number of times - Early, Late and in the Middle - only time I've Missed is Winter.

So let me comment on My personal Experiences - Bike Week - Yup been there and my only complaint was the Slow Traffic if you were to get behind a group of Bikers - Long line - Can't pass and they as a rule are really SLOW. as to making the visit bad - We stay in Custer, as do many, and I'd advise that to others - stay near the town (Or in it) just makes life easier - Custer SP is close - Needles is Close - Jewel Cave is Close - Crazy Horse is Close ...... sort of in the Middle of everything. So August 6th can work, even with the Bikers as they tend to be a little further away than you think, add to that that all of the ones we met were just regular Folks who Loved their Bikes.

Early in the Season (June) can be cooler and less crowded, as many are still in school - many animals - really Green and fresh, very enjoyable.

Last year while in Colorado for the Aspen turning - we had finished up and had a week to fill so we ran up to Custer for a week in Early October. IMHO - The Best Time to Visit - One - Less Crowded - Two - Nice and Cool - Three - Trees are all turning - Aspen were Beautiful in October, in the Black Hills. We were there during Covid - so we stayed in our own Bubble and visited less but had a few Great Hikes and even though it was late in the season still enjoyed all the drives and Sights.

There you go - No Wrong Choices -

Most will catch this either Coming or Going fro Yellowstone NP, just need to Know what all you are trying to Do.

Summation - Just work it into your Plans as it is Awesome.

Hope this Helps,

Images - so much to See just never enough TIME -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	314340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	314341  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #20

we were there at the end of sept 2020 for a week. and we still had things to see! wind cave and jewel caves were closed. they didn't want the tourists giving the coronavirus to the bats! lots of construction in deadwood. looks like they are changing it from a historic town to a resort town with lots of modern hotels. crazy horse has a nice museum with vendors but the admission price to get in seems too high. to the east is badlands, wall drug, missle museum, and a nice military air and space museum.

many, many rv parks throughout the area.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #21

I visited the Black Hills in August of 2017 leading up to watching the Eclipse from Alliance, Nebraska. I posted a thread of my trip. It is by no means a complete list of things to do in the Black Hills, as I had about three days instead of three weeks, but I have included links to most of the things I visited during the trip.

My Black Hills, Badlands, and Eclipse trip of 2017

The Black Hills is not a large area, and can easily transversed in a car several times in a day, but there is a lot to see. As I was in a motorhome and had no toad, I elected to stay at the Spearfish City Campground, on the far north side, so I could rent a car.

Mt Rushmore is only one small speck of the things you can do in the region, but some planning is necessary to provide for the most enjoyment. For example, I drove the wildlife loop in Custer State Park in the afternoon, bad timing, as there is no wildlife to see. A friend drove it in the evening, nearing dark, and there was lots of wildlife out to see.

I drove the Iron Mountain Highway from south to north in the afternoon, and sure enough, when you go thru one of the tunnels, Mt Rushmore is well framed by the tunnel, you can find lots of pics and videos on the internet of this, but Rushmore faces southeast, so in the afternoon, the sun is too far around and you cannot see the faces, and the sun is actually shining into the tunnel. Bad plan, drive it in the morning.

Along with Rushmore, you will want to visit the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Devils Tower while in the area. Being in Spearfish I was well positioned to visit Devils Tower, as it was only about an hour ride away.

I always recommend in these posts, that anyone visiting the Black Hills first stop at the Journey Museum in Rapid City. It is a large and well presented museum, with lots of parking for cars and RV's and is easily accessible from the interstate or town (it is located on the edge of the area cleared out after the Rapid City flash flood. It will take a couple of hours, or more to see it, but you will gain a good insight into the geological development of the region, and the history from the Native Americans, thru the early exploration of the area, mining, and right on up to the present. This will help you understand a lot of what you will see and visit on your trip.

Charles
Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We stayed at Hart Ranch RV, near Rapid City.

Good you have a toad, as you likely will want to tour around. Also, it's a bit of a climb up to Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

Fall is nice with the colours and thinner crowds.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
We stayed at Beaver Lake Campground. We had a very nice spot.
X2 on Beaver Lake Campground in Custer.
You can see a lot of places in that area, and then move up to Spearfish to see a bunch there.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #24

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you get to Rushmore in mid October, you might even get to see it with a little snow.

And go see and take a walk through the information building at Crazy Horse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	315473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	315474  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
If you get to Rushmore in mid October, you might even get to see it with a little snow.

And go see and take a walk through the information building at Crazy Horse.
Lucky man - Snow makes everything look better -

Thanks for sharing,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #27

This was Mount Rushmore on Labor day 2020. They had 6" of snow. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200908_201310.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	315499Click image for larger version

Name:	20200908_192239.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	315500
FireballMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Went 2 yrs ago on the bike during Sturgis. You don’t go no where fast and sometimes can’t stop to see the sights. Avoid that timeframe.
We were on a budget, so we took the economy sight seeing tour around the backside.
Love this lol
cathib007 is offline   Reply With Quote