Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Must see attractions, South Dakota, late July?

Well, only six weeks to go....and hubby and I are headed west from Michigan to South Dakota. We're heading across I95 to US80...making a couple stops along the way, before arriving at our campground near Hill City, SD. Of course, the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore are on our list, as is the Badlands, Wind Cave, Deadwood, Wall Drug, etc. But can any of you share any other "must sees"? It'll be a two week trip, coming home through the U.P. of Michigan and back down.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

Pioneer Auto Museum Murdo SD. right on I-90. Has 50 style restaurant along with a small early American town set up. Has antiques of every kind. There is a RV park one block west of the Museum.

Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. interesting

While at Rushmore a drive thru Custer State Park is one of the best wildlife viewing parks we have been thru.

The drive on needles highway between Custer State Park & Rushmore is awesome scenery. RV not go on that road. Narrow tunnels. Toad only

Enjoy your trip

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Custer State Park is fantastic. The lakes are fully stocked with trout, making am average fisherman an expert.
The history of the "making" of this park is quite astounding.
Badlands NP is a must, easy to get to with good trails.
Minute missile bases were very interesting. I think a sign on the ops door of one of these below ground on the background of a well known pizza chain " if the first one is not delivered within a minute the next one is on us" or something like that. Great history there.
Wall the town
Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Lots to see in the area, don't miss the historic town of Deadwood.

Just a note, Sturgis Bike rally starts officially on August 4th, but the motorcycles typically start coming into the area up to a week ahead, and we are talking about 300,000 - 400,000 people in all. The roads are extremely congested with bikes which can be hairy and at times scary.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Spearfish Canyon ByWay, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Sundance WY, Lead SD, Keystone (no specific order) are some of my favorites. It isn't that far to map out some nice days to hit several of these in one day and still have time to just sit and relax. Get a map at campground, they will have the Sturgis Rally maps in July and take the toad and explore. There is so much to see, I highly advise doing all the routes both directions for the most part as you will see two totally different views and preferably at different times of days. The drives are scenic, some great eating establishments and hospitality.

I wouldn't be afraid to be in SD up to the weekend of the Rally, traffic will be busier than without the Rally, but many more establishments open and all the bikes lend a unique perspective of people watching. The weekend before the rally rates go up and traffic increases each day.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the Black Hills as much as I do!

Motorcycling in South Dakota - South Dakota Tourism
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

this is the sign on the door interesting place ,would not want that job .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trip 148.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	64940  
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Susan & I are Volunteering in Custer St Pk.
Jewel Cave (Link)is a must.
Deadwood (Link), the only place to see is the Adams Museum and a walk down main street..

Sturgis get your Tee shirt.

Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park (Link)

Take a trail ride in the Blue Bell Stables (Link)

Do Mount Rushmore at Night then onto Crazy Horse (Link)
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Spearfish Canyon ByWay, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Sundance WY, Lead SD, Keystone (no specific order) are some of my favorites. It isn't that far to map out some nice days to hit several of these in one day and still have time to just sit and relax. Get a map at campground, they will have the Sturgis Rally maps in July and take the toad and explore. There is so much to see, I highly advise doing all the routes both directions for the most part as you will see two totally different views and preferably at different times of days. The drives are scenic, some great eating establishments and hospitality.

I wouldn't be afraid to be in SD up to the weekend of the Rally, traffic will be busier than without the Rally, but many more establishments open and all the bikes lend a unique perspective of people watching. The weekend before the rally rates go up and traffic increases each day.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the Black Hills as much as I do!

Motorcycling in South Dakota - South Dakota Tourism
I apologize, I meant to say I wouldn't be afraid to be in SD up to the weekend BEFORE the Rally.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, all!!!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #10

Go to Hill City and ride the steam railroad. Round trip is a few hours and worth it.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Go to Hill City and ride the steam railroad. Round trip is a few hours and worth it.
Sorry, was in a hurry to walk out of the house yesterday - the train goes back and forth between Hill City and Keystone with a layover in Keystone for shopping or lunch. Very nice ride and lots of wildlife seen from the train. One deer was laying (bedded down) next to the tracks right out of the station. It was looking up at us as we looked down to se it, just 6 feet from the tracks!

As for the bikes for the rally - they do go early in great numbers. I saw so many leaving last year, the day before the official start of the rally, I thought I had the wrong dates and checked the internet to be sure. Drive carefully and look twice before pulling out or turning. Signal all turns in advance so they know your intentions and all will be ok.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

Lived in Rapid when stationed at Ellsworth in the 70sand have been back several times since. Strugis was xclose to my Lauch control center and in those days the main street was lined with 100s of bikes but it was not that bad. Now it's 100 of thousands spread all over the Black Hills. The Sturgis Rally has grown so big I would recommend avoiding the area a week before to a week after. We went though there last year the week before and week after the rally. We were lucky enough to gata place at the base in overflow but every campgound for miles around was full, all the resturants and tourist places had waiting lines and traffic was very slow.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
In Hot Springs there is the Mammoth Site: Welcome to The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, South Dakota which is very interesting.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not mentioned in this discussion yet, is the Iron Mtn Road. It runs from the entrance station on the east side of the park, up, around and to parts of the park to the Rushmore Memorial. There are a couple of the 'pig-tail' bridges on this road - interestingly enough, made from wood. Also a vein of solid rose quartz that is easily seen, but you have to look to find, maybe 4-5 feet in diameter.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote