Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2022, 05:42 AM   #15

Sugarloaf Sun Outdoors.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2022, 05:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afewtogo View Post
Finding it impossible to get 5-7 day site in Naples Ft. Myers area January, February or Marco 2023.Any suggestions? 2021 Newmar Ventana 4037.

Thanks for any help
I called an ownership resort in July and barely got a spot for 3 nights. They resorts usually are full of seasonals in winter. She almost told me no but had a site that fit us. It’s pretty expensive for a few nights. I tried the Army Corp CG and the sites go there the day they are available. I think there are a few sites at the Army Corp that fit 43 footers..it’s a great deal if you can get your dates.
Here is a link to the Army Corp CG. It’s pretty nice and cheap
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233661
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:33 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
While the area is recovering , why would anyone want to stay there for any length of time? The usual “snowbird” activities are impacted , restaurants are closed near the beaches and flood damage elsewhere making the ones that are open busy. Construction is everywhere. Traffic crazy .. The friend we have in Cape Coral says life just isn’t normal. The rest of Florida is open maybe try something different this year ?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #18

In our case, the reservation is paid in full, non-refundable & options are very scarce. If not, we'd blow it off & go somewhere else.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have friends in FMB, one couple who have a home, totally wiped out by storm surge. The other couple have a condo at the beach, a 4th floor unit. While their unit was untouched, the ground floor, 1st floor and part of the 2nd floor were wiped out from storm surge. My friend says the condo association told them it will be at least 6 months to a year before the building is inhabitable and they will be allowed to move back in. Currently they have rented an apartment near Orlando.
FMB doesn't sound like a fun place to be right now.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Now the East Coast just took a big hit from Nicole.
Local TV stations in Orlando are showing homes falling into the surf, buildings being destroyed (Lifeguard building) and severe beach erosion. Flager Beaches are being hard hit as well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nicole-...storm-florida/
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #21

I'm on the Florada East coast now, right where the hurricane hit.
There is some damage, much of it from not catching up from the last storms erosion damage, but it wasn't that bad here last night.

I was told to leave Jetty Park CG on Monday but should be able to return Saturday.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Now the East Coast just took a big hit from Nicole.
Local TV stations in Orlando are showing homes falling into the surf, buildings being destroyed (Lifeguard building) and severe beach erosion. Flager Beaches are being hard hit as well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nicole-...storm-florida/

Really too early to tell how the east coast fared-- the media always look for the worse/most dramatic.

Nicole was a Cat 1 hurricane and after making landfall downgraded to a tropical storm. Ian was a Cat 4. BIG difference.

Hopefully in the next day or so we will get some first hand, perhaps less dramatic update as compared with the media coverage.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have, for the last 8 years, spent a month (Feb or Mar) at Cypress Trail. In the early years, they were building out and the unsold lots were typically available for booking with less lead time. They were not improved (naked) so a little less desirable, but easier to book. We liked the location.

For a variety of reasons, we were later (August) booking reservations for this coming winter and found no availability. We did find a new resort (https://thesurfrvresort.com/progress/), scheduled to open in December, that had reservations available and booked March there. It's in Palmetto (just north of Bradenton). They have claimed that Ian had very little effect on their construction progress and, I believe that the Tampa/Sarasota/Bradenton area was significantly spared from direct effects of Ian.

We also booked February on the Alabama Gulf Coast. We've spent time there before in the winter and found the weather pleasant and plenty of things to do there.

We, too, just feel that the Forth Myers area will not be a good choice for this winter.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
We have, for the last 8 years, spent a month (Feb or Mar) at Cypress Trail. In the early years, they were building out and the unsold lots were typically available for booking with less lead time. They were not improved (naked) so a little less desirable, but easier to book. We liked the location.

For a variety of reasons, we were later (August) booking reservations for this coming winter and found no availability. We did find a new resort (https://thesurfrvresort.com/progress/), scheduled to open in December, that had reservations available and booked March there. It's in Palmetto (just north of Bradenton). They have claimed that Ian had very little effect on their construction progress and, I believe that the Tampa/Sarasota/Bradenton area was significantly spared from direct effects of Ian.

We also booked February on the Alabama Gulf Coast. We've spent time there before in the winter and found the weather pleasant and plenty of things to do there.

We, too, just feel that the Forth Myers area will not be a good choice for this winter.

Take care,
Stu
We just got reservations at The Surf last week for January to April. I called The Tides but they were full. They referred me to The Surf, which is their sister park and has recently opened in Palmetto.

We’re currently just north of Tampa. Many of the parks here are full for the season. We were told many RVers effected by the hurricane moved here, thus filling the parks.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just talked to my cousin who lives in NJ, but has a 2nd story condo literally across the street from where Red Coconut RV Park USED TO BE.

She said there is like only 2 gas stations open on Fort Myers Beach. The Publix grocery is still not open. The power is still off in their condo complex. 99% of restaurants were flooded out. She said that Red Coconut RV Park land had been sold. Prime real estate on the gulf and across the street from the gulf.

Red Coconut RV Park's website says they are busy refunding deposits for all the reservations made. They "say" that they will rebuild and reopen, but my wife just saw on Facebook that the owner of Red Coconut RV Park just died.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:06 PM   #26

Red Coconut property has been sold, sad to say
farmboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:14 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check Naples Motorcoach Resort. No real damage from Ian and see some lots open at least right now. (888) 323-4985. https://www.naplesmotorcoachresort.com/
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
While the area is recovering , why would anyone want to stay there for any length of time? The usual “snowbird” activities are impacted , restaurants are closed near the beaches and flood damage elsewhere making the ones that are open busy. Construction is everywhere. Traffic crazy .. The friend we have in Cape Coral says life just isn’t normal. The rest of Florida is open maybe try something different this year ?
I agree, my cousin live in Ft. Myers Beach and she said even if there is a CG open there is nowhere to go, no restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment, difficult finding fuel and as someone said traffic is a nightmare.

I'm not surprised at Red Coconut selling, developers have been after that land for a decade or more.
Ian ended Ft. Myers Beach as we knew it. Had Ian stayed its track Tampa would have taken the brunt of the storm.
Our RV resort is now flat land covered with trash.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote