Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Pleasant drive (we also drove it in our 40' DP with toad, no issues). Got a little monotonous after a few hours although it is scenic. IIRC the speed limit is 45 most of the way and according to the signs it is tightly enforced. We did see evidence of that. We drove the entire length just because that was one of our goals. We spent a night in Tupelo MS, just off the Trace (Elvis' home town). Lots more peaceful than the interstate, I will say.
I think the speed limit is 50.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #16

When we were on it in May I noted that enforcement of the rules (speed limit, no commercial traffic, etc.) seemed very lacking compared to what I have seen on trace in past decades, with obviously commercial traffic on the trace going around Tupelo and Jackson, ie pickup trucks and vans with door lettering, or towing utility trailers with clearly non recreational items on them (lawn mowers, refrigerators, furniture).
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think the speed limit is 50.

I had to go back and look it up. Yes, the greatest part of it is 50, and a significant stretch I think at the north end is actually only 40 mph.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #18

I grew up a few miles from the Trace in Tupelo. Mom now lives about 1/2 south of the trace. Been on it 100s of times. Like anywhere, rangers/enforcement will give you 10mph. I wouldn't speed too much in a large MH. It's 50 because of the lack of shoulder, narrowness, a some sharp drop-offs, but mostly trees close to the road. Lost a classmate to one of those trees in high school. Finally, lots of people hit deer. Be careful or avoid dusk and dawn driving. Do be careful where you pull off.

It is a neat drive. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to take it, but occasionally I still go 15min out of my way to take it driving from Tupelo to my current Home in Huntsville, AL.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:11 AM   #19

We traveled most of it 3 years ago in a 34' motorhome. Most of the pullouts for sights along the way will not accomodate a motorhome. Driving on the Trace is easy and no problem for a large MH. It is not as scenic as the Blue Ridge Parkway because there are not many overlooks. I would say it is best to have a smaller motorhome so that you can pull off and see the points of interest.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just drove the majority of the Great River Road starting at the head waters. Our planned return route is the Natchez trace. At least one night. The times we have driven the parkway it has been so relaxing. For us we could not ask for a more direct path. Not sure if we are going to head to the parkway at Vicksburg or natchez.

The road is closed for a few miles so the is a detour. Our plan is to spend at least one night on it dry camping. But I woud not go much out of the way to go to this park.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We traveled most of it 3 years ago in a 34' motorhome. Most of the pullouts for sights along the way will not accomodate a motorhome...

I tend to disagree with this, though it does depend on the pull out and how many cars might be there. I would tend to say that 80% plus are RV accessible, though perhaps 1/3 of those it is hard to evaluate RV accessibility without pre-scouting using google maps, etc. We did about 3/4 of the trace in our 28 ft motorhome towing a Jeep Cherokee this spring, and can't recall any place we pulled over at that would not also fit a coach 5-8 ft longer than ours, though we often ended up parking crosswise blocking several parking spaces. My bigger issue was concern about overhanging limbs or other low clearance at some pull outs that led away from the trace to a more remote turn around loop. Low hanging limbs on the trace itself was an issue at the southern end of the trace as lots of limbs were sagging due to drizzling rain, in some places it was like being on a slalom course with limbs over the roadway hanging down below the height of our side view mirrors.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We traveled most of it 3 years ago in a 34' motorhome. Most of the pullouts for sights along the way will not accomodate a motorhome. Driving on the Trace is easy and no problem for a large MH. It is not as scenic as the Blue Ridge Parkway because there are not many overlooks. I would say it is best to have a smaller motorhome so that you can pull off and see the points of interest.
Here are the pull-offs not accessible to RVs and LOTS of other good information:

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/rvs.htm
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:39 PM   #23

They left out at least one where the under pass under the trace is 11'0" in Tennessee https://goo.gl/maps/hhQmpaLXs762u1A88

Thankfully we found that one when we were out in our TOAD exploring and not in the motorhome, otherwise we would have been unhooking in the middle of the road to get turned around.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:41 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove the Trace N to S in January last year. It was a very enjoyable change from Interstate driving and still took us in the direction we wanted to go. Very beautiful and picturesque, even in January. Since most of the leaves were off the trees we also got some great views of the surrounding countryside, probably not so much if we had gone in the summer. We did have one problem though, we had reserved a campsite but I did not print out a paper map of the location, planning to rely on Garmin and Google maps. When we got near the campground it was getting dark and snowing and, relying only on my memory, I got off at the wrong road. There was no cell phone service and my brand new Garmin RV785 was totally lost, even while we were still on the Trace. I was driving around twisty country roads in the snow, in the dark, in a 30' class A motorhome with no idea where I was. When we finally got a brief cell phone connection we discovered we were close to the campground but on the wrong side of the Trace. We are 12'4" high and the underpass ahead was marked 11'8"! Well, it was now totally dark and still snowing and I had just driven down a 2 mile stretch of slippery, winding 2 lane blacktop with no place to turn around. I said to myself at this point if I tear the cover off the AC unit (or worse) I don't care, I'm going under. So I got over to the far right side where it looked a little higher and crept through...didn't even touch. The fact that we were fully loaded probably made the difference. Anyway, looking back it was an interesting adventure, one that I would not want to repeat! My advice is to have a detailed paper map of any area you plan to get off the Trace at.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just exited the parkway. Starting in Jackson MS head north to the end. Driving a 36' "A" DP with toad. No issues at pull offs or driving through the campgrounds. Never had to disconnect toad. We spent 2 nights campgrounds on the parkway. Now we never took any of the pull off that indicated no circle drives. Speed limmit for the most was 50 mph. MS and TN had the best road surfaces, AL was bad.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
They left out at least one where the under pass under the trace is 11'0" in Tennessee https://goo.gl/maps/hhQmpaLXs762u1A88

Thankfully we found that one when we were out in our TOAD exploring and not in the motorhome, otherwise we would have been unhooking in the middle of the road to get turned around.
That underpass is not the Trace. It looks like the Trace is the overpass.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

I might be wrong, but isn't that for the road that gos under the parkway.

We drove that section of the PW and the map was okay with height except one or two locations when you exit the PW. At 12'3" we still have our roof.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #28

Napier Lake Rd. accesses the Natchez Trace Parkway at MP 380.8. The link given above with the overpass is not the Natchez Trace Parkway.

https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/n...196/hotspot/88
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace