Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

National Park Reservations

My wife and I are planning a 5 week trip, September-October, in 2020. Leaving NYS September 4, hitting; Mt. Rushmore-Custer State Park 2 nights, Glacier 3 nights, Yellowstone 5 nights, Arches/Canyonland 3 nights, Bryce/Zion 3 nights, Grand Canyon 3 nights. My question is how early should/can I make my reservation in the parks. For the nights in Arches/Canyonland and Bryce/Zion we're thinking of staying outside the parks. Any suggestions for the trip will be appreciated.
Sully54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully54 View Post
My wife and I are planning a 5 week trip, September-October, in 2020. Leaving NYS September 4, hitting; Mt. Rushmore-Custer State Park 2 nights, Glacier 3 nights, Yellowstone 5 nights, Arches/Canyonland 3 nights, Bryce/Zion 3 nights, Grand Canyon 3 nights. My question is how early should/can I make my reservation in the parks. For the nights in Arches/Canyonland and Bryce/Zion we're thinking of staying outside the parks. Any suggestions for the trip will be appreciated.
I would suggest you contact the individual parks in advance and ask them, based on your itinerary. They know better how full or empty they'll be in advance, based on booking/no booking experience in their own park.
We walked into Bryce Canyon NP last October and had no problem, but got shut out of Grand Canyon North Rim without a reservation. They were unusually busy.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

I spent the month of September this year in Utah with a dip down to Grand Canyon North Rim. All areas were very busy and many private RV parks were full as were the NP and State Park CGs. I had to play “games” to get reservations into Dead Horse Point SP as well as DeMotte NF campground (18 miles north of North Rim) which I made as far in advance as was allowed. I was surprised at how crowded it was although I had made my reservations about 8 months in advance.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Also, in my opinion you are trying to cram too much stuff in. I spent a week at almost all of the places you mention (didn’t do Yellowstone or Glacier this trip) and didn’t see everything. Unless you just like to drive through and wave you will be missing so much.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

I believe that as the Baby Boomers continue to retire, these months will be really tough to find RV spaces. hen we were much younger, this was not an issue. Many do not take reservations, so you pretty much fly by the seat of your pants. Try to find a spot in Arizona for January or February at this time of year- no longer really possible.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

BTW- Yellowstone and Grand Tetons are fantastic!!!
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #7

Quote:
--------------------------------------

I just made reservations for a 6 day 2019 September stay in Yellowstone. So, I know they will take them 10 months out. When I climbed Mt. Whitney, I made reservations about 11 months before I went. I don't know if all NP's are the same but I would call ASAP and find out.
taichungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #8

Quote:
My wife and I are planning a 5 week trip,
Been to all those places, some many times. Over sixty years starting with my Grandparents. Took the granddaughter to Zion last spring.

I would agree with the earlier comment that that it may be too much. I would worry about snow at Glacier and Yellowstone.

One of the things I have noticed since retiring is the number of foreign tourist renting MH and going to places like Zion. The national park is booked well in advance but often there are cancellations for the next day.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
I believe that as the Baby Boomers continue to retire, these months will be really tough to find RV spaces. hen we were much younger, this was not an issue. Many do not take reservations, so you pretty much fly by the seat of your pants. Try to find a spot in Arizona for January or February at this time of year- no longer really possible.
Boy you hit the nail on the head!!!! We retired early at 59. Looking back a good decision as it was prior to the boomer camper explosion. Why we even stayed at every State Park in the Florida Keys, in the winter!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #10

Since you are planning to camp outside Zion/Bryce and Arches/Canyonland, I recommend Zion River RV for Zion and Portal RV park in Moab for Arches/Canyonland . It appears that you are thinking of staying in one place to visit both Zion and Bryce. It's going to be a 3+ hour drive between the two, I suggest you stay at Zion River then move camp to Rubies outside of Bryce instead of trying to do a day trip.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #11

Portal is a great place to stay for Arches and Canyon Land in Moab. Bauer's Canyon Ranch in Glendale is between Zion,and Bryce.It's closer to Zion,but not that far a drive by car to Bryce.Bauer's is what I call a simple no frills camp ground,but go location.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Also, in my opinion you are trying to cram too much stuff in. I spent a week at almost all of the places you mention (didn’t do Yellowstone or Glacier this trip) and didn’t see everything. Unless you just like to drive through and wave you will be missing so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I would agree with the earlier comment that that it may be too much. I would worry about snow at Glacier and Yellowstone.
Sometimes a person doesn't have all the time in the world to see a place and so they spend a few days there and get a taste for it and then when they do come back they have a better idea of what to expect. You could spend a lifetime at any one place and still not see everything. Why would missing another place make up for the fact that they are not going to see everything? Shouldn't they at least get to see it?

To the OP, I would do what you feel comfortable with and get the chance to experience some incredibly scenic areas! I'm following your thread because next year I am hoping to do a 6 week trek to the Pacific NW while we visit some farmers markets and I know we want to visit some national parks as well.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
Sometimes a person doesn't have all the time in the world to see a place and so they spend a few days there and get a taste for it and then when they do come back they have a better idea of what to expect. You could spend a lifetime at any one place and still not see everything. Why would missing another place make up for the fact that they are not going to see everything? Shouldn't they at least get to see it?

To the OP, I would do what you feel comfortable with and get the chance to experience some incredibly scenic areas! I'm following your thread because next year I am hoping to do a 6 week trek to the Pacific NW while we visit some farmers markets and I know we want to visit some national parks as well.
x2.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and concerns. I'm planning this knowing I won't see everything. I've always felt the best thing about doing a trip like this is the planning-it's all about the chase. And I know no plan is perfect, you control what you can and go from there.
Sully54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national