Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Thanks! Did Sedona and 89a in 2019.

Looking for something new,

although I will say that Sedona was the most beautiful place I think I've been except for maybe Switzerland, and some parts of Peru.

O and Tahiti .....
OK - lets work on the mission - NEW - Spectacular = Colorado -

Biggest issue for you is CG reservations.

Second we need to never forget the 5yo - as we will see and enjoy many New and beautiful areas as you travel - She will be the focus - meaning days are shorter and most need to be filled with 2-4 hours of Kid Time - there will be a few days that will not fit but will try to keep them to a Minimum.

The spots that you both will enjoy are Likely - Clear Creek, Golden Co - if you can get in - in town - on the Creek - with play ground at the entrance - water - slow paced good spot to rest up for the Colorado part of the trip. Look to many of the links in the Foothills that the 5yo will enjoy.

Next will be Leadville/Buena Vista/Salida - Independence pass with stops along the way - Starts at Twin Lakes - over the Pass to Aspen then Maroon Bells then the long drive home. This is Adult Eye Candy all day Long!

Buena Vista - In town Park - on the Arkansas River and filled with what kids enjoy - water - play grounds and likely other Kids

Salida is the same - just they are both so different you need to see and enjoy both - K's for a Lunch in BV and Quincy's for a Steak Dinner.

Monarch Pass to Gunnison/Blue Mesa/Crested Butte going Past Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP must see just is sooooo different.

Through Montrose to Ridgway State Park if you are really lucky to get in - Ouray - Pool with Hot Spring Water - then the Drive into the Alps of the San Juan's. 4X4 trails to die for - Alpine Loop will blow your Mind - all the way to Lake City and Back trails everywhere.

Few days here as it take weeks to see and drive it - sure beats the Utah Rocks in the Summer - as you will still need the Heat on some nights

OK that's the Teaser, are we on the right track?
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
New plan. Thoughts? Where to stay in between Mohab and RMNP?

Destination Miles Staying At Nights Things to do and POI's
Nashville 452 Boondocking 1 ???
Oklahoma City, OK 652 Boondocking - Cabela's I71\I265 1 ???
Alamosa,CO 563 1 Sand DunesNP
Durango, CO 150 3 Jeeping
Cortez, CO 45 1 Mesa Verde NP
Mexican Hat 50 Boondocking 1 Jeeping to the North, Gooseneck
Page,AZ 200 3 Antelope, Rainbow Bridge
Jacob Lake, AZ 80 2 GrandCanyonNP
Mt Carmel, UT 55 3 ZionNP, Pink Coral Sands, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Bryce, UT 60 3 Bryce CanyonNP
Torrey, UT 110 2 Capital ReefNP, Kodachrome Basin
Mohab, UT 156 4 ArchesNP, CanyonLandsNP,Deadhorse StPark
somewhere between 1
Estes Park, CO 402 2 RockyMtn NP.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #17

Quote:
New plan. Thoughts? Where to stay in between Mohab and RMNP?

Destination Miles Staying At Nights Things to do and POI's
Nashville 452 Boondocking 1 ???
Oklahoma City, OK 652 Boondocking - Cabela's I71\I265 1 ???
Alamosa,CO 563 1 Sand DunesNP
Durango, CO 150 3 Jeeping
Cortez, CO 45 1 Mesa Verde NP
Mexican Hat 50 Boondocking 1 Jeeping to the North, Gooseneck
Page,AZ 200 3 Antelope, Rainbow Bridge
Jacob Lake, AZ 80 2 GrandCanyonNP
Mt Carmel, UT 55 3 ZionNP, Pink Coral Sands, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Bryce, UT 60 3 Bryce CanyonNP
Torrey, UT 110 2 Capital ReefNP, Kodachrome Basin
Moab, UT 156 4 ArchesNP, CanyonLandsNP,Deadhorse StPark somewhere between 1
Estes Park, CO 402 2 RockyMtn NP.
Be careful where you Boodock in Nashville - get through the city and find someplace safe west of the city.

First three days are really Looooooong - might add a day and will still be long - we avoid big cities for wallydocking

Sand Dunes NP is dark on the roads at night - and Hot in the Day.

I'm not a fan of Durango vs Ouray - just a preference - this area is Jeep Heaven - all over the place. I'd extend a couple more days in the San Juan's - JMHO

Zion with the Bus is something you really need to understand to enjoy especially if Covid is still in play.

Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

If my day count is correct you may have as many as 7 days you could allocate to Colorado on the way to RMNP - see the other post for Maroon Bells and Buena Vista as a place for those days.

Looks like it's coming together - Finding a place to stay should be fun.

Best of Luck,

Bill
Old 02-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Please advise? Part of the plan calls for stops at Mt Carmel, Bryce, and Torrey, each being to see a different NP\area. Would I be better off to make one central stop for these locations instead? For example, would an 8 day stay in/near Bryce be better than the 3, 3, and 2 day stays in each location. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #19

Following for the great advice. Lord willing we'll be doing SD, CO, and UT this fall.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Please advise? Part of the plan calls for stops at Mt Carmel, Bryce, and Torrey, each being to see a different NP\area. Would I be better off to make one central stop for these locations instead? For example, would an 8 day stay in/near Bryce be better than the 3, 3, and 2 day stays in each location. Thanks!
We really like to stay in a national park itself and move onto the next. You get to explore more of the one park. You can go out in the morning; come back for lunch and/or a nap; go back out for the evening.

Trying to see 3 areas from one I would guess you'd only drive to another park one time. It's way too much driving.

That's just us; others may differ.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We really like to stay in a national park itself and move onto the next. You get to explore more of the one park. You can go out in the morning; come back for lunch and/or a nap; go back out for the evening.

Trying to see 3 areas from one I would guess you'd only drive to another park one time. It's way too much driving.

That's just us; others may differ.
I agree, but since I am late to planning this I have seen spots already full. Also I have the 5yr old which will not allow us to do any deep dive into a park. So its going to be more of a drive by event for each park, with some minor hikes trolley rides.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Burr Trail at Boulder, UT. Off of UT12.
Did you take the Burr Trail road. Looks pretty neat until you get past the switchbacks, then gets very plain, and very LONG. Although is does take you eventually to Capital Reef.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
sounds like a nice trip. don't dawdle making reservations.
Man you can say that again!! Most everything booked all along the way with just a few spots remaining at each. Bryce was terribly full, got lucky and found a brand new opening in May rv resort that had spots a few miles away, whew! I am now all booked up except a few over-nighters.....
Old 02-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
In Durango, a very family friendly rafting trip on the lower Animas with Mild to Wild rafting. The premium package would put you guys in your own raft with a guide, covid friendly rafting trip on mild flow. We are going in July.
As noted, adults will enjoy the scenery of the train ride up to Silverton, but it is probably long (haven't been yet, co-worker has) However, I have done the ride in the Blackhills from Hill City to Keystone.

https://www.1880train.com/

Its about two hours round trip, very slow ride. Start from Hill City, as that is the main station, DO NOT take the first trip of the day as it is done with a diesel locomotive, while the Baldwin steam locomotive is heating up. Arrive early for the second trip and watch the activity around prepping the locomotive for its run.

The web site says All summer time departures are originally scheduled to utilize steam locomotive power. But I think it is common to see the diesel on the first run, it used to be scheduled that way.

There are museums in Hill City you may enjoy, but possibly not a 5yo, not sure. The SD state RR museum is located there, along with a Civilian Conservation Corp museum.

Charles
Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Finally Finished booking sites

I finally got all my stops booked and man what a chore that was.* *Very hard to find a site in most areas, so I had to venture out a bit, and in some cases got the very last site.* *Here's my result

Alamosa,CO 572 KOA (800-562-9157)
Durango, CO 150 Alpen Rose (970-247-5540)
Mexican Hat 146 Gouldings RV (435-727-3235)
Page,AZ 142 lake powell campground (928-645-3374)
Kanab,UT 75 Kanab RV Corral (435-644-5330)
Bryce, UT 85 Bryce valley Ranch (435-590-6721)
Mohab, UT 261 Moab KOA (800-562-0372) 90
Carbondale,CO 214 Gateway RV (970-379-8151)
Estes Park, CO 207 Spruce Lake RV (970-586-2889)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:32 AM   #26

Quote:
I finally got all my stops booked and man what a chore that was.* *Very hard to find a site in most areas, so I had to venture out a bit, and in some cases got the very last site.* *Here's my result

Alamosa,CO 572 KOA (800-562-9157)
Durango, CO 150 Alpen Rose (970-247-5540)
Mexican Hat 146 Gouldings RV (435-727-3235)
Page,AZ 142 lake powell campground (928-645-3374)
Kanab,UT 75 Kanab RV Corral (435-644-5330)
Bryce, UT 85 Bryce valley Ranch (435-590-6721)
Moab, UT 261 Moab KOA (800-562-0372) 90
Carbondale,CO 214 Gateway RV (970-379-8151)
Estes Park, CO 207 Spruce Lake RV (970-586-2889)
Randy,

OK Now you are done almost done with the Easy part;

- Have you allocated the days?
- Sent request for info to all the Web Sites to get maps, info and Insight to these special areas?
- Researched each area to find the Kid friendly sights?
- Created a list of the Must See spots at each stop?
- Might also look at the routes between to see what might be seen along the way.
- I will usually Locate the restock spots along the way, helps to know when you are not close to one, for days.

Looks Great, will be hard to wait to leave.

Best of Luck,

Bill
Old 03-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Randy,

OK Now you are done almost done with the Easy part;

- Have you allocated the days?
- Sent request for info to all the Web Sites to get maps, info and Insight to these special areas?
- Researched each area to find the Kid friendly sights?
- Created a list of the Must See spots at each stop?
- Might also look at the routes between to see what might be seen along the way.
- I will usually Locate the restock spots along the way, helps to know when you are not close to one, for days.

Looks Great, will be hard to wait to leave.

Best of Luck,

Bill
I haven't laid out any detail day plans yet. For me this is a BIG sightseeing and Jeep trail riding tour. To help me with this I use google maps and mark all of the locations in my saved places so when I get there I can easily look at them and decide what do I want to do today. I also do a spreadsheet for each trip and document the BIG things as well. So far my highlights will be the NPs. I will work down from there to fill the days.

I took some advice from NC Dan and booked most sites that have a pool when I could, especially for long stays. This will satisfy the 5yr old.

I have had a Jeep for 3 years now and it has really been fun. Since day 1 of getting the Jeep I have dreamed of doing the UT trails. You are right, I CAN'T wait!!!!