RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
NC to UTAH and AZ order of stops

I have been reading all the posts and what an amazing amount of knowledge everyone shares. It is so helpful.

We are planning our first big RV trip out to Utah and AZ. I have seen all of the great info in the posts of places to see while in the areas. I am looking at the best order to plan my route. ( I use RV trip wizard and paper maps!). I still work so I will have to work a few days so I may stay longer to make a few phone calls and meetings etc.

I am going out there in middle of May.

From NC I could easily take 40 West and this is the loop I thought I would do:

1. Monument Valley 2 days
2. Moab - Arches etc. use area as base do day trips in our jeep etc. 3 days
2.5 (Capitol Reef)/Fruita
3. Zion 2 days
4. Brice 2 days (or just day trip)
5. Page (lake powell and area) 3 days
6. South Rim - Grand Canyon (never been!) 2 days
7. Sedona 2 days
8 then back on 40 East to NC

How does this look? Or is it best to reverse this order ie sedona to monument valley? we may stay longer than I indicated.

Leaving Fruita then going to Brice then Zion maybe better?

Thanks in advance! So excited to get all booked!

38' MH with 2dr Wrangler
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVWalker View Post
I have been reading all the posts and what an amazing amount of knowledge everyone shares. It is so helpful.

We are planning our first big RV trip out to Utah and AZ. I have seen all of the great info in the posts of places to see while in the areas. I am looking at the best order to plan my route. ( I use RV trip wizard and paper maps!). I still work so I will have to work a few days so I may stay longer to make a few phone calls and meetings etc.

I am going out there in middle of May.

From NC I could easily take 40 West and this is the loop I thought I would do:

1. Monument Valley 2 days
2.5 (Capitol Reef)/Fruita
3. Brice 2 days (or just day trip)
4. Zion 2 days
5. Page (Lake Powell and area) 3 days While in or going to Page think about a quick run to the North Rim - Just a thought.
6. South Rim - Grand Canyon (never been!) 2 days Hope you plan to come in on RT 64 the East Entrance
7. Sedona 2 days
8 then back on 40 East to NC Might look at coming back through Colorado to see next years Trip.

How does this look? Or is it best to reverse this order ie sedona to monument valley? We may stay longer than I indicated. Do if possible, so much more to see than you have Listed - Just look at the State Parks

Leaving Fruita then going to Brice then Zion maybe better? Yup

38' MH with 2dr Wrangler
Wrangler would be a Blast in the San Juan's on the way Home, Trip sounds Great.
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Wrangler would be a Blast in the San Juan's on the way Home, Trip sounds Great.
Thank you so much. I cant wait to do it! I will check into San Juan's.

I thought about going back - or starting- through Colorado but I want sure what was best.

Grand Canyon - I will check out the east entrance suggestion.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
That schedule would be a whirlwind trip. But it is doable and would be fun.

If those "days" you list are really "nights" then you are trying to see too much all at once as you would be in places for only one full day. That's hardly time to see much of anything.

But, all-in-all that trip would serve as a good introduction to the area. Have fun.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:

I'm not sure if you mean 'nights' rather than full days

1. Monument Valley 2 days Monument Valley itself can be done in a day unless you want to tour the surrounding area. Use this extra day to tack onto another place, if needed.
2.5 (Capitol Reef)/Fruita Capitol Reef has some nice Jeeping
3. Zion 2 days Reverse Zion/Bryce. Take Hwy 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce; then to Zion
4. Brice 2 days (or just day trip) If you're a hiker this is where you can easily spend a lot more than a day trip. We like it better than Zion for hiking
5. Page (lake powell and area) 3 days 3 days depends on what you want to do. It will be hot there. Antelope Canyon tour, boat tour to Rainbow Bridge, Dam tour and that's about it.
6. South Rim - Grand Canyon (never been!) 2 days
7. Sedona 2 days

How does this look? Or is it best to reverse this order ie sedona to monument valley? we may stay longer than I indicated.

Leaving Fruita then going to Brice then Zion maybe better? Yes

38' MH with 2dr Wrangler
Sounds like a good trip and added days are always welcome!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:14 PM   #6

Looks awesome, the only venue I would add is if you end up with some extra time, make a side trip to Goosenecks State Park in Utah. It is 85 miles south of Moab, so you'll prolly drive right by it. I think it has one of the most amazing vistas in all of North America with a 1000 foot view down to the San Juan River, and it is almost free.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-15-2021, 11:28 PM   #7

Zion, Bryce, South Rim and Sedona are all likely to be pretty crowded, so keep that mind.

The southwest stats getting hot mid-May, but you'll be up high enough in altitude for most of the trip that it shouldn't be too bad.

Lake Powell is amazing, but you really need to be on the water to really appreciate it. We rented a boat for a weekend one year to explore back canyons and it was just amazing. I've also spent five days up there on a friend's house boat. The Glen Canyon Dam tour is worthwhile if it's open when you get there. As already mentioned, it can get warm up there and there isn't much shade. The Wahweap RV Park and Campground is within the National Park and not a bad place to stay, though very busy at times.

Sedona is busy and touristy, but beautiful (it's 12 miles from my house). If you have a toad you can stay nearby and drive to Sedona. Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood is a good choice and is about 1/2 hour drive from Sedona. The town of Jerome is close to Dead Horse Ranch and is a good day trip, but you're probably not going to have much time for that.

My favorite local restaurant near Sedona is "Up the Creek" in Page Springs. It's just down the road from John McCain's ranch and was his local haunt. The owner is one of the chefs and is also the piano player some evenings. Not a fancy place but good food and local color. It overlooks Oak Creek and nearly every table has a view of the creek below. It's also off the beaten path so less touristy.

Your itinerary looks good, but you're going to wish you had more time.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:05 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several very good ideas added above. Just be aware that presently Arizona has the highest Covid-19 infection rate in the world. Plan and act in a smart fashion if you go there. I understand that may not bother some folks.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Some additional feedback:

1. Monument Valley 2 days - add 4 corners and you should hit Mesa Verde on your approach!
2. Moab - Arches etc. use area as base do day trips in our jeep etc. 3 days - Love Moab and can add more time here. Arches - do the Fiery Furnace hike and hike all the way to Delicate Arch. Raft down the Colorado River.
2.5 (Capitol Reef)/Fruita - would cut time here and add to Moab. The Hogback is an intense ride! Google it.
3. Zion 2 days - Another place to add more time. Stay at the Watchman campground. Hike the Narrows, bring a tube and float the Virgin River. Google the tunnel restrictions as they'll have to close it for you to drive through the center.
4. Brice 2 days (or just day trip) - day trip, hike down and back and you're done. And spell it 'Bryce'
5. Page (lake powell and area) 3 days - Take the dam tour if available. Get out on the water or you won't need 3 days.
6. South Rim - Grand Canyon (never been!) 2 days - drive out and do the Sky Walk
7. Sedona 2 days - you'll need two days to rest after this trip!

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #10

it seems a shame that you can't add more days at each stay. if anything drop a day in page and add it to bryce.

go to bryce first and then zion. how are you planning on getting between bryce and zion? if you are planning on entering or exiting zion from the east using utah hwy 9 check and double check that you will be able to get through the zion - carmel tunnel. there are restrictions on height, width, and length.

hopefully you can enter the south rim of the grand canyon from the east. last i heard this entrance was closed. you can leave by the south entrance either to williams and then flagstaff to sedona or directly to flagstaff and then sedona. again what route are you taking from flagstaff to sedona? az hwy 89a is not recommended for some rv's.

enjoy!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you so much. I cant wait to do it! I will check into San Juan's.

I thought about going back - or starting- through Colorado but I want sure what was best.

Grand Canyon - I will check out the east entrance suggestion.
As you can see You are heading into RV Heaven - No Wrong Choices - Just different Preference's.

Look into Colorado - when you combine Utah and Colorado - it's just hard to Beat!

Timing on both is critical - Hot in the Desert - Cool - in the Mountains - use the time of Year to your Advantage - we had nights in the mid 40's last Summer in Colorado in July and August - Also had 100 in Delta which was not that bad in the shade.

Running through Vernal I think we were in the 109 range and managed as long as we used the shade and the Water

What do you enjoy - think about it - For me not a fan of Sweating - dry heat is real - But - Sunny and over 100 is really HOT! - so figure what you are after - you have already got a strong group on this post - they can really help - Ask More pointed Questions - get more personal preferences.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #12

I also am heading out to the 4 corners area in early May until the end of July in 2021. Yes the east entrance on AZ rt 64 is closed to the Grand Canyon south rim. Alot of the Navajo related sites and activities are closed, due to Covid. We are using I-40 heading west with stops at Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, Wupakita, Camp Verde, Jerome, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Arches, Monument Valley, 4 corners, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes, Denver and Rocky Mtn. National Park, then heading home. We have all our camping reservations including Trailer Village at the south rim of the Grand Canyon and inside Mesa Verde. We are also staying in Great Sand Dunes and Monument Valley. So looking forward to this adventure. Like many others, we had taken 2020 off from travels, hopefully we can enjoy this trip. Just my DW and puppy and I and in no hurry. Maybe I will see you on the road.

Mike from SE PA
mkeitsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #13

Sedona will be hot in mid May but hotter in mid June. Both should miss our monsoon season, but June could catch the very beginning if it starts a little early. June hot here is about 100 for the high of the day. If you like FHUs, Rancho Sedona is a nice RV park right in town. Agree about Up the Creek, but it has only inside seating so if COVID is still with us and you care, it may not be a good choice. They do carry out.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #14

A previous post mentioned doing the Skywalk at Grand Canyon. That's actually way out of your way. It's on the Havasupai reservation and accessed from Az Highway 93 just south of Las Vegas and Hoover Dam, and it's a 250 mile drive from the National Park at the South Rim!

Tags
utah