Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 232
Need a waypoint to spend a few days

We're returning to our home on the central east coast of Florida from our second trip to western states and find the 4 day/3 night grind each way tedious. We're wishing there were someplace along the way that was of enough interest for us to stop for a couple of days before continuing. We gave a closer look to a couple of cities such as Amarillo on our way back to see if they met this criteria and were disappointed that they did not.

FWIW, we traveled two different routes for each trip and are favoring the most recent one which was up Florida's Turnpike to I75 then I10 to Lafayette, up I49 to Shreveport, then I20 to Dallas and essentially US 285 to Amarillo and the I40 westward. Previously we turned at Tallahassee to go up US231 to Montgomery, I65 to Birmingham, I22 to Memphis and I40 westward.

We either need to find a campground like Fort Wilderness at Disney which we happily spend 3-4 days several times a year for relaxation or a location that offers either scenic drives, museums, zoos and perhaps shopping. Out west, we favor national parks and cities/towns such as Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Moab, Estes Park.

We know Memphis has much to offer and may be our best choice and if you agree, where would you stay? Other ideas are graciously welcomed.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
be-happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 247
Not really familiar with your route, however you did mention a few cities that you may want to visit. I was in Moab last May and stayed at Spanish Trail RV Park. https://spanishtrailrvpark.com/ Moab has alot to offer but to me was based around the OHV trade.

Estes Park, Is more of a tourist city that is close to RMNP. Great city to spead a few days at, along with a base camp for the national park. Do not know your timing but if possible need to put going in this time period to listen to the elk bugle. We stayed at the KOA not sure it was the best but it pleased us. https://koa.com/campgrounds/estes-park/

Memphis one can spend many days there as we did two yearshttps://tomsawyerrvpark.com/ ago. So much history so much to see and do. Our choice to stay was Tom Sawyer's on the other side of the river. Just sitting back and watching the barges go up and down the river is relaxing.

https://tomsawyerrvpark.com/

Good Luck safe travels
__________________
2007 Itasca Meridian 36SE
Great Wife & Max the boarder collie
Branson MO the best place to live
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 983
Second the above recommendation for Tom Sawyer RV Park in Memphis.

From South Carolina, we go west a couple of different ways. I-20 to Shreveport, I-49 to Texarkana, 82 west to 285, then on to Amarillo. From Amarillio we go northwest to Raton, NM and then into Colorado.

We also go I-20 to Birmingham, I-22 to Memphis, and then I-40 to Amarillo. Several times we have gotten off I-40 near Elk City, OK and taken the cross-country route towards Raton, NM. Texas farm-to-market roads are very good.

Your idea of where to spend a peaceful few days is differeet than mine. I like to avoid the crowds. We enjoy camping in Southeast Missouri, especially at the Huzzah Valley RV Resort. Think fishing and rafting. We always manage to stop in Sikeston, MO for a meal at Lamberts's - home of the "Throwed Roll".

Not meeting your halfway criteria, but something we enjoy is staying several days along the Arkansas River/US 50 in Colorado. Altitude there is less than 6000', so we give our flatlander lungs a chance to adjust for higher altitudes. The closer to Salida, the better is my opinion.

As far as visiting southern cities, I prefer Nashville to Memphis.
__________________
2001 Alpine Coach 38/8
ACA 2018006
Andy
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
We're returning to our home on the central east coast of Florida from our second trip to western states and find the 4 day/3 night grind each way tedious. We're wishing there were someplace along the way that was of enough interest for us to stop for a couple of days before continuing. We gave a closer look to a couple of cities such as Amarillo on our way back to see if they met this criteria and were disappointed that they did not.



FWIW, we traveled two different routes for each trip and are favoring the most recent one which was up Florida's Turnpike to I75 then I10 to Lafayette, up I49 to Shreveport, then I20 to Dallas and essentially US 285 to Amarillo and the I40 westward. Previously we turned at Tallahassee to go up US231 to Montgomery, I65 to Birmingham, I22 to Memphis and I40 westward.



We either need to find a campground like Fort Wilderness at Disney which we happily spend 3-4 days several times a year for relaxation or a location that offers either scenic drives, museums, zoos and perhaps shopping. Out west, we favor national parks and cities/towns such as Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Moab, Estes Park.



We know Memphis has much to offer and may be our best choice and if you agree, where would you stay? Other ideas are graciously welcomed.


You mentioned Amarillo. Did you consider Palo Duro Canyon State Park in the town of Canyon, off rt I40, outside of Amarillo. We laid low there for three nights on our western trip from New England. Lots of scenery, beautiful spacious campsites. In Albuquerque we stayed at Route 66 Casino and RV Resort.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bill Gail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: The Great NorthWest
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Second the above recommendation for Tom Sawyer RV Park in Memphis.

From South Carolina, we go west a couple of different ways. I-20 to Shreveport, I-49 to Texarkana, 82 west to 285, then on to Amarillo. From Amarillio we go northwest to Raton, NM and then into Colorado.

We also go I-20 to Birmingham, I-22 to Memphis, and then I-40 to Amarillo. Several times we have gotten off I-40 near Elk City, OK and taken the cross-country route towards Raton, NM. Texas farm-to-market roads are very good.

Your idea of where to spend a peaceful few days is differeet than mine. I like to avoid the crowds. We enjoy camping in Southeast Missouri, especially at the Huzzah Valley RV Resort. Think fishing and rafting. We always manage to stop in Sikeston, MO for a meal at Lamberts's - home of the "Throwed Roll".

Not meeting your halfway criteria, but something we enjoy is staying several days along the Arkansas River/US 50 in Colorado. Altitude there is less than 6000', so we give our flatlander lungs a chance to adjust for higher altitudes. The closer to Salida, the better is my opinion.

As far as visiting southern cities, I prefer Nashville to Memphis.

X2 on Nashville.

Great older CG , Nashville Shores Lakeside Resort on Percy Priest Lake. On the water and close to town.

Great music , great food , Grand Ole Opry , amazing C&W music museums , plus river front trails for hiking or biking.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Isaac-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 6,700
There are a lot of interesting towns across Texas, that are good for 2-3 days worth of exploring, depending on your interest, unfortunately many of them are not right on the major highways.
__________________
2002 Safari Trek 2830 on P32 Chassis with 8.1L w/ 400 watts solar 420Ah LiFePo4
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland & 2007 Toyota Yaris TOADs with Even Brake,
Demco Commander tow bar and Blue Ox / Roadmaster base plates
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
Community Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Full timing
Posts: 1,857
Like mentioned Tom Sawyer outside of Memphis. We stayed there for 3 days and watched river boat traffic.
You can check out Galveston Island, nice parks there we are heading there for New Years week this year.
Outside of Houston we use the Thousand Trails Park, Lake Conroe. Then outside of San Antonio we use the Thousand Trails park, Medina Lakes. San Antonio you can go down and see numerous places. but while there you can go to Fredericksburg and see "The Museum of The Pacific War". It is at Adm. Nimitz home and it is very well done.

https://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/visit

In Arizona around Benson, off of I-10, there are several RV parks, we use the Encore park there, Valley Vista. From there it is about 20 miles to Tombstone, Az.
__________________
2018 Road Warrior 427/2016 golf cart (gas)
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
You mentioned Amarillo. Did you consider Palo Duro Canyon State Park in the town of Canyon, off rt I40, outside of Amarillo. We laid low there for three nights on our western trip from New England. Lots of scenery, beautiful spacious campsites. In Albuquerque we stayed at Route 66 Casino and RV Resort.
We were not aware of it but will certainly check into it. There's also what appears to be a cool but small RV museum that was closed while we were there. We considered the Cadillac Museum but reading reviews turned us off on it. We went to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta and will likely go again next year. We stayed in the President's Compound and will do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Second the above recommendation for Tom Sawyer RV Park in Memphis.
Thanks!

Quote:
We also go I-20 to Birmingham, I-22 to Memphis, and then I-40 to Amarillo. Several times we have gotten off I-40 near Elk City, OK and taken the cross-country route towards Raton, NM. Texas farm-to-market roads are very good.
Good to know, will consider that.

Quote:
As far as visiting southern cities, I prefer Nashville to Memphis.
We stayed at a very nice KOA Holiday close to the Grand Ole Opry and would go back if that way again but not being CW fans, it held no interest for us. We do need to give Nashville another chance though but coming from Florida puts it a bit off course for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
Not really familiar with your route, however you did mention a few cities that you may want to visit. I was in Moab last May and stayed at Spanish Trail RV Park.
We were in Moab and will be going back. We would have liked to stay at Spanish Trails but made plans too late to get into it.

Quote:
Estes Park, Is more of a tourist city that is close to RMNP. Great city to spead a few days at, along with a base camp for the national park. Do not know your timing but if possible need to put going in this time period to listen to the elk bugle. We stayed at the KOA not sure it was the best but it pleased us.
Estes is our favorite destination and will be going back at least yearly. We looked at that KOA and didn't care for it. We stayed at Spruce Lake on the SW side of town and will go back to it.

Quote:
Memphis one can spend many days there as we did two yearshttps://tomsawyerrvpark.com/ ago. So much history so much to see and do. Our choice to stay was Tom Sawyer's on the other side of the river. Just sitting back and watching the barges go up and down the river is relaxing.

Good Luck safe travels
We probably will go to Memphis again and will certainly look for that campground. We just don't enjoy I70 going west from Memphis.

Thanks for all the replies, they've given us some interesting things to look in to.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 723
Not sure if it will be on your route but we enjoyed Lubbock, TX. There are several museums in the area that are good for a full day or 1/2 day tours.

We visited:
Buddy Holly Museum
American Wind Power Museum
National Ranching Heritage Museum
Silent Wings Museum (motorless flight)

We didn't visit - Moody Planetarium.

Also, Prairie Dog Town

The Ranching Heritage Museum can take a full day. It was chilly and windy when we visited so we kind of rushed the outdoor part of the Wind Power Museum.

Another Texas stop is Waco. It is home to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum, Suspension Bridge and river Walk, and Waco Mammoth National Monument. (After being disappointed taking the trails at the Lehner Mammoth-Kill Site and not seeing a single mammoth I was determined to go to the Waco Mammoth National Monument. We were not disappointed.
__________________
Big enough, DH, me and the greys!
2016 Thor ACE, 30.1.
2014 CRV
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
traveldawg's Avatar




 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
We're returning to our home on the central east coast of Florida from our second trip to western states and find the 4 day/3 night grind each way tedious. We're wishing there were someplace along the way that was of enough interest for us to stop for a couple of days before continuing. We gave a closer look to a couple of cities such as Amarillo on our way back to see if they met this criteria and were disappointed that they did not.

FWIW, we traveled two different routes for each trip and are favoring the most recent one which was up Florida's Turnpike to I75 then I10 to Lafayette, up I49 to Shreveport, then I20 to Dallas and essentially US 285 to Amarillo and the I40 westward. Previously we turned at Tallahassee to go up US231 to Montgomery, I65 to Birmingham, I22 to Memphis and I40 westward.

We either need to find a campground like Fort Wilderness at Disney which we happily spend 3-4 days several times a year for relaxation or a location that offers either scenic drives, museums, zoos and perhaps shopping. Out west, we favor national parks and cities/towns such as Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Moab, Estes Park.

We know Memphis has much to offer and may be our best choice and if you agree, where would you stay? Other ideas are graciously welcomed.
We too live in central FL on the east coast. We've traveled out and back to the west a LOT of times - a lot of different ways. We prefer I-40 to Amarillo (stopping one night for steak at the Big Texan); then down through Dallas and onto I-20 to Jackson, MS (not much on that route for us other than travel). Then we wiggle down through Mobile, AL and into the FL panhandle on I-10. We go all the way to Jacksonville and then I-95 as we find I-75 through Gainsville & The Villages to be prone to traffic a lot of times (and we avoid the tolls too).

When returning to the east we really like stopping at the Gulf Shores, AL area (Baldwin County) to relax just prior to getting home. There are plenty of restaurants (both dives and upscale); lots of bike trails at Gulf Shores St Park, museums (of a sort in the small town of Folley) and also the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola which is really nice.

There are a number of upscale campgrounds in that area: Bella Terra or Buena Vista Coastal if you're a class A; Lake Osprey if you aren't allowed in Class A places) plus more right on the beaches.

From Gulf Shores you can continue along I-10 or take the more scenic route along US98 to US27 and then whatever floats your boat to the Space Coast. We like staying at Rocky's campground in Perry, FL the night before getting home. If you timing is right you can see the Webster Fleas Market in Webster, FL.

Have a good return home.
__________________
2018 F350, 2019 Grand Design 310GKR
KE4DMG
traveldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 15,264
Perhaps this would help you. There are other sites if you do a Google on 'special attractions traveling across the U.S.'

https://blog.cheapism.com/road-trip-...tions/#slide=3

Sometimes you need to get off the interstates to really see things.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Perhaps this would help you. There are other sites if you do a Google on 'special attractions traveling across the U.S.'

https://blog.cheapism.com/road-trip-...tions/#slide=3

Sometimes you need to get off the interstates to really see things.
Thanks, will check into that further.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deleting a waypoint Michael.G RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics 3 09-02-2019 07:18 PM
RV Trip wizard Waypoint will not delete marcusf RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics 2 07-23-2019 08:25 PM
Waypoint puzzlement Manheim RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics 1 08-03-2017 07:42 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.