Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Need campground suggestions for Asheville NC in October

Well I waited to long to get into Mama Gertie's. They are all booked up. We have a 32 ft. class A and will tow a toad. Does anyone have any suggestions about campgrounds in the area. We are looking for a natural setting with Full hookups and OTA TV. 30 mile radius would be be considered. It also looks like the area around Gatlinburg is getting booked up during the same time.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Well I waited to long to get into Mama Gertie's. They are all booked up. We have a 32 ft. class A and will tow a toad. Does anyone have any suggestions about campgrounds in the area. We are looking for a natural setting with Full hookups and OTA TV. 30 mile radius would be be considered. It also looks like the area around Gatlinburg is getting booked up during the same time.
Not cheap but very nice and about 30 - 40 minutes from Biltmore ... not "natural" but they both have spectacular views:

Mountain Falls Motorcoach Resort

Apple Valley Farm Motorcoach Resort
Old 07-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

We stayed at Powhaton National forest when we were there a couple years ago. Had full hookups, unusual for a NF, don't recall about OTA TV. Beautiful setting, very natural, wooded, etc. We were able to get Sat TV however. Discounted rate with your America the Beautiful access card, too. About 15 minutes to Biltmore or downtown.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We also stayed at Powhaton a couple months ago. It is close to Ashville. USFS with full hook-ups. Book through Reserve.gov. Wonderful park.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We loved the view from our bluff side site in Campfire Lodgings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Site P2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	134370  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

You might try Rutledge Lake RV park
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Thanks for your help

I called every one of the recommendations that were open to the public and they were all booked up. My MH is 8 years old and I feel a little self conscious about its used condition so I stay out of the high end places. I did not know October would be so busy. I'll still keep looking.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We loved the view from our bluff side site in Campfire Lodgings.
This place .... We're going in a few weeks and hopefully it's cooler that here...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I called every one of the recommendations that were open to the public and they were all booked up. My MH is 8 years old and I feel a little self conscious about its used condition so I stay out of the high end places. I did not know October would be so busy. I'll still keep looking.
You ever heard of leaf peeping? October is prime time in the mountains for colorful trees.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
This place .... We're going in a few weeks and hopefully it's cooler that here...
I think you'll love the view. Just be forewarned, the entrance road is very steep, narrow and winding. Many choose to disconnect the toad at the bottom of the hill before heading up the access road. I did not and had no problem, but it would have been interesting if we'd met someone coming down at the same time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I think you'll love the view. Just be forewarned, the entrance road is very steep, narrow and winding. Many choose to disconnect the toad at the bottom of the hill before heading up the access road. I did not and had no problem, but it would have been interesting if we'd met someone coming down at the same time.
Thanks for the reminder. We have actually been there once before but it was not one of the premium spots. I was concerned as last time it was a bit nervy going up and I prayed not to meet someone on the way down.

Our plan is as you suggested to unhook, send the wife ahead to make sure no one is coming the other way.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #12

We just got home to florida from 4 nights at lake powhatan campground . We really enjoyed our stay. Full hook up. Only 10 min to town but you feel like you're 30 Miles in the forest. Very remote. Only bad thing is really no cell phone service with verizon or att. But that's not really a bad thing. I enjoyed the peace and quite. Oh. One more thing. There was a bear in the site next to ours one morning. The lady got pictures and showed us. Happy camping.
bigbear1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #13

We always stay in Bryson city just about an hour from Asheville.I just made a reservation for Oct. 10-15 with no problem.The campground we use is small
quiet, and is for self contained campers.No bath facilities, but has full hook up.
The location is great for us.Close to Smoky Nat. Pk.and other attractions.The
name is Big Bear Campground Bryson city NC. hope this helps you.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #14

Try Lakewood RV Resort in Flat Rock, NC

It's' about 25 miles south of Asheville in Flat Rock, Exit 53 on I-26, about 1/2 mile off the interstate. It's a 55+ campground. We are spending the summer here and love it. I'm surfing on a Verizon hotspot now. Lakewood RV Resort - Recreational Vehicle Site And Apartment Rentals - Hendersonville, North Carolina

Jim
Logicality is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground