Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need guidance from experienced FL snowbirds

I live in Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountains and plan to snowbird in Florida in January and February next year. I know it is already late to be trying to reserve space for a 38 ft motorhome, but I'm going to try. Looking for a couple month stay in a private RV park with full hookups, so not looking for state parks.

I think I need to go as far south as at least central Florida to have reliably warm (at least not chilly) days. Probably south of Orlando.

My question - although those who go yearly have their preference - which area to choose - Gulf vs Central vs Atlantic, what are the advantages or disadvantages of each? I don't plan to fish or boat, but it is always nice to be near water. I'm not asking for specific RV park suggestions (although they are welcome), just which area might be preferred for a couple month stay. Also, is central typically cheaper and in less demand than coastal?
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #2

Need guidance from experienced FL snowbirds

I would recommend looking at parks in Zephyrhills, Fl., which is about 45 minutes Northeast of Tampa. There are several RV parks in this area and reasonably priced. Also, many parks this winter should have at least some openings due to the restrictions on Canadian travelers to the US. My wife and I spent our first winter at a park there called Emerald Point. The lots in this park are all owned by people, but some do rent out there's for the season. Good luck!
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

I have reservations South west of Miami, the furthest South I can get, withouy paying Keys prices. Miami Everglades Resort.

Last week I was looking around and found openings in a CG just off Ft Myers Beach for about the same price.

I like being near the water, at least a short trip to it, but the Atlantic is tough on me since my 4 lower joints got replaced, so I may try the Gulf Coast.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey twinboat,

You are getting into what I was looking for, but need an explanation from you. It isn't obvious to me - why is the Gulf side easier on your joints? reliably warmer? Something else? Less humidity?
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
Hey twinboat,

You are getting into what I was looking for, but need an explanation from you. It isn't obvious to me - why is the Gulf side easier on your joints? reliably warmer? Something else? Less humidity?
Smaller waves, less drop off at the surf line.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #6

If going for two months you might want to try for two different areas to test them out. Committing to one place before ever being there could be a bad decision if you don't like the area or the park.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If going for two months you might want to try for two different areas to test them out. Committing to one place before ever being there could be a bad decision if you don't like the area or the park.
A second reason is many places only charge for electricity usage if you're there more than one month.

Ray
Old 08-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
South of I-4 for consistency of warm days or not to far north of it. Center of the state is less expensive than either coast and I would search in the Sebring area. In the Orlando area I like Stage Stop In Winter Garden... nothin fancy but a good location and about as far north as I’d go.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I live in FL. On the Space Coast.

my advice.....
1. Atlantic side above the Fort Pierce area is MUCH less crowded than any place on the Gulf coast from just north of Tampa all the way down to the souhtern end. That is our primary reason for living here (we "sunbird" in the summer - travel).
2. I think you need to be south of mid Florida (Orlando) to be sure of warm weather. AND closer to either coast; although the further south inland, the warmer (duh!).
Old 08-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
We bought a lot in an rv golf resort near Orlando last year. There are several places to stay in the area
We picked this location for cost and the central location. Other reasons?
We are Disney and universal pass holders although currently that’s a problem with covid. We enjoy afternoon and evening walks in WDW. Parks and the location is a draw for our kids and grands and friends to come visit us regularly from the west coast. Our kids told us they had no interest in visiting us in AZ or out of the way place ..we listened.
The central location gets us to the gulf ( great beaches ) or space coast ( rocket launch fans ) in about an hour. The keys are weekend car trips for us a couple times last year.
You asked [emoji6]
Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #11

Look at Clermont south along US-27...Winter Haven, Avon Park etc. Closer to the coast and farther south will of course be more expensive.

https://www.cypresscampground.com/