Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Highly recommend the KOA in West Yellowstone. Always clean descent sites roads big enough for my 40 footer with crew cab Chevy in tow. I've been through the park no less than 20 times and would be happy to give advice on routing during your stay to help meet your goals. PM if interested.
I concur. We will be staying there beginning a week from today.

We stayed there 25 years ago and enjoyed it. I had a conversation with the owner a couple of months ago and he asked me to send pictures of the campground from our visit back then. They've owned the campground since the 1980s.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #16

Stayed at the Virginian Rv Park South of the park and rented a car.
Jpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #17

I would definitely recommend staying inside the park if you can. Fishing Bridge is the only park that has FHU - as others stated the spaces are a little tight but the location more than makes up for it. We spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone and stayed in 3 different areas of the park (we also stayed in the Canyon campground and the Mammoth one.) Canyon takes reservations - Mammoth is first-come-first-served. As long as you get there early you can easily get a spot, and there many very large pull through sites.

I also think a trip to Grand Tetons is a must. I'd recommend the Gros Ventre campground. First-come-first-served but very rarely fills up. Most sites are dry, but there are a few electric-only sites as well. Great access to the park as well as Jackson.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnealy View Post
I would definitely recommend staying inside the park if you can. Fishing Bridge is the only park that has FHU - as others stated the spaces are a little tight but the location more than makes up for it. We spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone and stayed in 3 different areas of the park (we also stayed in the Canyon campground and the Mammoth one.) Canyon takes reservations - Mammoth is first-come-first-served. As long as you get there early you can easily get a spot, and there many very large pull through sites.

I also think a trip to Grand Tetons is a must. I'd recommend the Gros Ventre campground. First-come-first-served but very rarely fills up. Most sites are dry, but there are a few electric-only sites as well. Great access to the park as well as Jackson.

This is exactly our view. Stay IN the park. We love Mammoth and like you, could get a site with our 40' motorhome if you get there early morning. Gros Ventre in the Tetons is always our spot, too.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #19

We are planning on 2016 too - we are 54 feet with the 5th wheel - are you guys saying there are spot big enough for the 35 foot long 5er and my truck @ Mammoth? The website says only FB can take us- thanks for your advise -

IKOOLU

(Mod edit)
ikoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Highly recommend the KOA in West Yellowstone. Always clean descent sites roads big enough for my 40 footer with crew cab Chevy in tow. I've been through the park no less than 20 times and would be happy to give advice on routing during your stay to help meet your goals. PM if interested.
Must have changed a BUNCH since we were there in '97!! Price was high, even by today's standards, extra for every child, children weren't allowed in the pool or game room and the mosquitoes chased us inside even though we had a smoky fire going. Luckily we were able to get into Fishing Bridge the next morning!
Won't give them a second chance either!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
We are planning on 2016 too - we are 54 feet with the 5th wheel - are you guys saying there are spot big enough for the 35 foot long 5er and my truck @ Mammoth? The website says only FB can take us- thanks for your advise -

IKOOLU

(Mod edit)
Mammoth has some pull-throughs that would work for you. Those are the spots we've always had for our 40' and Jeep. Again, you need to get there early morning when folks are leaving.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We have had 3 visits to Yellowstone, the last one we stayed at Buffalo Crossing as a home base for a week. It worked well for us. We usually would leave early morning.
You are right at the west entrance. There is a great shop there and they have the Wolf Habitat near by. Very early morning dog walks would allow me to hear the wolf howls and some times in the evening. There is a fire jumper training area there also, they have a program for children.
Early morning leaving gives you a better chance to view wildlife IMHO. One thing about Yellowstone.. you will cover a lot of miles .. try to allow trips that do not keep you behind the wheel all day, check the map and work the loops. Also, keep aware of road work. It can slow things down on some loops. Remember they have severe winters that are hard on roads. Fishing Bridge is reportedly a very good place to stay especially when you consider you are usually only sleeping there, but... they can have bear activity. We have pets that travel with us and are very cautious as to where we park and leave them. Otherwise, we may have stayed there. We have loved every trip there, I get a little fly fishing done while my wife gets in some gift shop browsing. You will find meals easy to find if you want to eat out. Three visits and I would go back again, it is just beautiful.
Hope you enjoy the visit.
If you come in through Cody, there is a lot to see and do there. Rodeo!!!!
Go see the Bar.
If you leave to the south... See Jackson Hole, lots to see there also.
We were heading south one AM early, came upon a Grizzly Bear crossing the road 1 mile below the rv park camping and then late evening watch moose feeding across the river at a turn out.
Very great trips!!
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice