Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #1

New England Road Trip (VT,NH,Maine, MA)

We decided to take some time and take our first big trip in the new TT (a 2014 Jayco 298). I asked this forum where we should go and a bunch of you provided suggestions. Well I did a little research but said why not..and took your advice. Every location was exactly as you all said they would be and we had an absolutely wonderful time. I feel in love with the lifestyle so much I honestly talked with my wife that we could do this full time. The TT was so comfortable we wanted for nothing (except for a full hookup on those days without them). If only the grey tank was a tiny bit bigger (lol).

Anyway thought I'd post a few pics from the trip.
We started from NJ - went up the NY thruway and into Vermont. We stayed at Champagne Lake in Randolph VT. What a beautiful place...very open and airy. We had a pull thru site and had met some great people from Canada. Talked through the night. We were enjoying the place so much we stayed an extra day.

Then off to Rodgers campground in Lancaster New Hampshire. This was the one day we had torrential rains and fog. Always fun driving a 50+ foot rig in the wet/fog on country roads. The camp ground was in a beautiful mountain range (pic attached) but the campsite was oddly arranged and not easy to maneuver. The plus was a full hookup. The ground was incredibly soft and I bogged down into the mud and was stuck. I had to switch to 4wd low and just slog into position. A nice gentlemen actually came out in the rain to offer me some long boards. Note to self...bring more long boards next time not just levelling blocks. Once again confirming I was surrounded by nice people I didn't even know. It rained in buckets all night long and the explosive lightning show went on as long. Thank you Jayco for a bone dry camper. I thought of those poor souls in tents that evening.

The next morning at least the sun came out for a bit but we were again stuck in the mud...thank you Ram 4wd low! crawled out of the mud - felt bad about the massive rutts but tried my best to minimize them.

Then off to Moorings campsite in Belfast Maine. Wow - what an absolutely wonderful place. We had a spot right on the beach. We spent about a week there and wanted to stay longer. We met a bunch of really nice people. My mornings started early, woke up with a cup of coffee tossed a handful of cashews into my pocket and wandered the beach. rough life I know.

after a great week at Moorings We went to arcadia for some hiking, then camden and finally down to Boothbay harbor. We stayed at Shore Hills campground in Boothbay. We had a beautiful quiet site on a title river. It was great place - wish we stayed longer.

We went to stay at a KOA in Naples right next to Sebego lake. Very clean site and great staff. This KOA seemed to be more of a seasonal location with some transient spots mixed in. Whenever I see residential fridges and structures outside a camper I'll assume it is seasonal. Nice stay.

Then off to a KOA in East Dummerston, VT next to Brattleboro. The campsite was a pull through with full hookup and very clean. The owners were really nice and we really like the stay there. Our daughter loved the petting goats and pony. She wants to go back just to see the animals again.

The trip rambled a bit after that on our way home through NY and back to NJ. It was hands down the most relaxing trip I have ever been on even with driving over 2000 miles with the TT. What a great way of life.

I attached a few trip pics. I would recommend any of those campsites for people travelling along that route. Can't wait for the next trip. We're hooked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140706_195932.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	68973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140708_170404.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	68977  

Name:	20140710_200757.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	68978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140713_112130.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	68979  

Name:	20140707_165419.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	68980  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nice pics. That first big trip is the one that will always stand out in memory...sounds like it was a very successful one - congrats. Nice looking Jayco, BTW.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

Yeah, but where's the Lobstah?????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lobstahs Sunset Point Cmpgrd. Harrington, Me..jpg
Views:	255
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	68997  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #4

LOL - love your Lobstah pic it's awesome! I had my share of the blissful stuff over the weeks. On another Maine trip we had a big Lobstah bake on the beach. Big fire in a pit...let the coals get just right and tossed on seaweed and all the Lobstah and stuff....covered it up...continued to drink and have fun until it was perfectly cooked. Was an incredible beach party.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Nice Trip

Sounds like a great trip. Can you tell me what campground that is in the second picture? Looks like a great view.
Tim
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

The first two pics are from the moorings campground in Belfast maine. The second pic was at sunset when the moon was out before the sun fully went down. It's really nice to open the camper windows and hear the ocean waves outside. Excellent campsite. Awesome view.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, Traveling to Nova Scotia in early September, need to put that on the list for a stop.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #8

Enjoy the trip. Wish I was going back that way in September. The drive was fine other than a few very local back roads were like ski mogels...great for shaking the world up. They were repaving those roads when we were leaving.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #9

If I remember correctly, "The Moorings" doesn't have sewer hookups, just a dump station and pump out service. We found that $70 a night for ocean front was pretty steep not to have complete hookups, BUT location & view is really something to consider.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

For beach front sites there is no full hookup. There are full hookups in the site just not beach front. For no hookup sites they have a honey dipper that comes around twice a week. If you are there 7 days it is free otherwise it is $15 bucks. The showers at the site were clean and close by so that was what I did. For me it was still worth it but everybody is different. Good point on hookup...I neglected to mention cause I didn't have a problem but someone else might.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for sharing your beautiful trip with us. I live in MA and this is my first year with our new motorhome. We have been out nearly every weekend, last weekend we were in Essex Junction, VT at the FMCA rally and had a blast! We camped on the beach, Scusset Beach on Cape Cod, the 4th of July weekend. Before that we were at Second Beach in RI.

These are locations that hotels can't touch. If there were hotels, they would cost a fortune and spoil the area. Instead, we met with our camping buddies and all had fun cooking together, riding our bicycles and hanging out.

This weekend is the 1st one in a while we are not out travelin' but then sometimes you need to take care of family business.

Hope to see you on the road sometime...
Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #12

Spending a weekend home has its benefits too. When we sailed we were not home n weekend may through october. When we finally did spend some weekends home neighbors were confused. We even felt odd as there was time to work around the house and so forth. Congrats on the motor home and really glad to hear you've been using it well. I wasn't sure I would take to the lifestyle so easily. Now that we have a TV my DW and I are discussing full time as an option at least several months of the year. I like the idea of a small ST and an rv of sorts. Love the jayco but for full time I want something a bit more rugged and appointed. Maybe an Entegra for xmas hey a guy can dream. Make sure to get out next weekend and enjoy. It's a small world. I travel the world and I always seem to bump into people I know. Life is to be enjoyed and lived to its fullest.