Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
KPC

New Mexico?

New At this and trying to plan a aprox 3 week trip from Wisconsin to New Mexico area in the spring. Any advice about what to do/see on the way or especially where to stay in New Mex. would be helpful. Will be traveling with 36 foot MH and toad.
KPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
In between Santa Fe and Albuquerque is Tent Rocks National Monument. Great little hike through the rock formations to a cave.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns are on my NM must see list.

NM state parks are a bargain and not found one I did not like. You may want to make reservations.

I did find a pass after visiting Silver City that I never want to take an RV on again.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Places we love... north to south:

Red River/Eagles Nest, Taos if you want to tour the Indian dwellings; otherwise, don't bother

Hwy 64, Abiquiu Corp of Engineers campground, Chama if you want to do the train ride although that's a Fall thing.

Santa Fe is much better than Taos for things to do and architecture

Los Alamos, Bandelier Nat'l Monument

Kasha-Katuwe (Tent Rocks) Nat'l Monument

Cochiti Corp of Engineers campground - also a good base for day trips into Santa Fe

Cottonwood campground, Navajo Lake State Park if you want awesome spring trout fishing on the San Juan River

Valley of Fires BLM campground

White Sands Nat'l Monument - take a moonlit ranger walk if there at the right time

Silver City - The Catwalk trail (don't take 152 off I-25 to get to Silver City... you probably won't like it); come in off I-25 on Hwy 26 at Hatch and stop in Hatch for lunch and a purchase of the very popular, chilis; Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat'l Monument

City of Rocks State Park - very unique

Deming, Rockhound State Park; museum in Deming has a little bit of everything and well organized. Worth it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All great suggestions, but don't overlook Chaco Canyon , it's a very special place.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

Ojo Caliente Hot Springs. Best natural hot springs ever! And they have RV sites.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
All great suggestions, but don't overlook Chaco Canyon , it's a very special place.
I agree with Chaco Canyon (now Chaco Culture NHP). Just be aware that the road in is 16 miles of washboard road from the north and 19 from the south. At least it was a month ago.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

following
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

If you are in the Demming area the Escapees have a park just off I-10. DreamCatcher. It’s only about $24.00 a night FHU, all spaces are pull thru. There are no amenities however.

Also if you are into shooting the NRA Whittington Center is just off I-25 south of the border with Colorado. They have many campsites and multiple shooting ranges, long gun, hand gun, and shot.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there are many COE parks and some are out in the boonies where they made gargoyle movies in the 70s
neat places to stay.

we visited twice, ended up in jail for 3 days for a crime i did not commit and then they tried to send me to Sacramento because i looked like a guy they were looking for.
needless to say we dont go to NM ever again.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #11

Great advice here. We’ve stayed at quite a few listed above. If you are a fan of Georgia O’keefe’s art, you might enjoy a trip out to the “Ghost Ranch” where many of her works were inspired. We enjoyed the ranch, and the horse back ride that takes you past her old adobe studio.

In northern NM, we base camped at Santa Fe Skies. A very nice park. Sunsets there are incredible.

Chaco canyon was awesome. Glad that we didn’t take our motorhome back there (although would have loved to spend a few nights there). As it was we took our Jeep Wrangler there. The washboard road was really a challenge at times. I am still amazed at the guy who was behind us driving an old Cadillac. He made it, but surely had to bottom out a few times.

In Southern NM, as mentioned, don’t miss White Sands NM and the surrounding area. Also, we enjoyed viewing and photographing the migratory Sandhill Crane’s at Bosque del Apache. We were there in November. Not sure what month you will be in the area.

Hope that you enjoy NM. We sure do!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

+1 on Santa Fe Skies RV Resort.

Right before 15 minutes of pea size hail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SFSkiesRV.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	268134  
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the Alamogordo area, we stay at Oliver Lee state park (close to White Sands) . Also about 30 minutes north near Carrazozo, Valley of Fires NPS..

If you are there on the first Saturday in April, (or first Sat in Oct), schedule a visit to the Trinity Site. It is open to the public twice a year on these days.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #14

in the north- south of bloomfield, n.m. - angel fire- blm camping- great canyon. in the south- faywood hot springs n.m. - fhu sites- north of deming . near city of rocks state park and silver city. north of silver city- gila cliff dwellings. you can walk thru these dwellings.