Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Orleans Area

Being a PPA member, I see there are PPA parks in Covington (40 miles north) on I-10, and in Bay St. Louis, 40 miles west...which area would anyone recommend I stay at to visit New Orleans???? Is there still significant hurricane damage in the Bay St. Louis area?
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #2

New Orleans Area

My choice would be Bay St Louis b/c it is a beautiful area near the beach. There is still a lot of construction going on but is recovering very nicely since Katrina. The people are friendly and they love visitors.
Another option for folks with the America the Beautiful pass(half price) are the LA state parks. My favorite for visiting New Orleans is Bayou Segnette State Park. It is only 15 minutes drive to the French Quarter. Sites are large and have 50/30 amp and water hookups, dump station and Free wifi . Regular price is $19 and half price if you have the above mentioned pass.
Lin
linlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Have you checked out reviews on Pontchartrain Landing (Formerly New Orleans RV Campground)? My dad's friends has been boasting that this park is a work in progress, and pictures of it are very promising.

Wherever you end up camping in New Orleans, could you please post an update of how you find the place of your choice? I appreciate it in advanced! Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out this RV Resort at www.cajunpalms.com in Henderson. About 1 1/2 hours west of N.O. When going to N.O. be very careful anmd don't wonder off the main drags.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #5

Bayou Segnette SP is to me the 1st consideration even without the Golden Passport. Even though it's sort of in town, it's secluded, wooded, not as much as before Katrina and secure. We live 9 miles from there and go there several times a year when we want to go somewhere but just can't totally get away. Ponchartrain Landing in Eastern NO is very nice and a Passport Park. The Passport park mentioned in Covington is off of I-12 and is at best a "Goat Ranch".

Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Slidell???

With all the posts warning about being careful in New Orleans, where I was going to stay at Ponchetrain landing....I am now looking for a park with proximity to N.O, but out of town...how about the Slidell area???
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #7

Thumbs up

We have stayed at three LA State Parks in the area ... all nice ... and we felt safe in all of them ...

1) Bayou Segnett ... we drove along the "West Bank" and took the ferry across the river to the French Quarter ..

and two at the "north end" of the causeway

2) Fairview-Riverside in Madisonville ...

3) Fountainebleu in Mandeville

We have Golden Age so it cost about $10 per day for a water and electric site ... there are a few full hook-up sites in some of the parks but you should not count on getting one of them ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is also a fairly new SP in Springfield, Tickfaw SP. It is very nice and about 90 minutes from N.O. This park is a nature swamp park.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote