Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #1

New RV traveler - California trip

Hey everyone,

I’m Brazilian and I live in Brazil - São Paulo. Between February 10th and 26th 2019, I’ll be in California on vacation and I intend to do an RV trip around the coast and the countryside.

I intend to spend all the 16 days tripping and the proposed route is: rent an RV in LA (a small one, 2 persons), go down to San Diego, go up to San Francisco over the shore and go back to LA over the countryside. The purpose is enjoying surfing plus beaches nature, waterfalls, wild parks, trails, and lakes.

I have a couple doubts about traveling, US parking law, places, access places, and pricing.

1. What is the best motorhome model to 2 persons (a couple) that has a bath and toilet? I would like to reach wild places. What are your recommendations?

2. In California, is it possible to park the motorhome (RV) in any place to rest or spend the night? Is it permitted? Is it safe? Which places should I take care of criminality, wildlife or something?
Henrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #2

a lot of questions, but I'll take a stab. (no pun intended) for surfing get a copy of surfing California by bank wright, then stay on highway 1 north all the way to S.F. you will past all the surf spots.

your gonna see campgrounds all along that route.
www.camp-california.com

if renting an RV just get the smallest one that still has a toilet & shower. I have never rented so no idea on cost.

wild places ? big sur on highway 1 then back down on 395 eastern sierra nevada

I don't boondock but think you can stay in walmart parking lot for free.
https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/Boo...alifornia.html

good luck & drive safe.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #3

Check out the Pismo Beach area 90 miles north of Santa Barbara off 101....great beaches, surfing and many RV parks bordering the PCH...then take Hwy 1 north to Monterey and The City to the north.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a CA guy so can't help with that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

All good info, except 395 along eastern Sierras in February, it is winter time, you could get snow, cold temperatures for sure. Good if you want to go skiing!

Google rental rvs, Cruise America, El Monte rents, they should have floor plans. Most American small rvs are class c, not vans like Juicy.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Your vacation sounds like it will be wonderful.

I live in California. We have a lot of beautiful places to enjoy. Boondocking will be tough to impossible near any urban areas. In February there should be availability at state parks. They are beautiful and cheaper than RV parks. For most of the year they can be hard to get a reservation, but I think February should be just fine. Otherwise, it's off-season for RV parks so you should have no problem getting a space.

Have a great trip!
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
When you get to Santa Cruz, Surf at Steamers Lane and stay at Henry Cowell State Park to experience some beautiful Redwood trees.
kwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be sure to rent a trailer to carry your money... Cali is not cheap....some of the highest fuel prices in the nation and highest RV park prices too. Land is at a premium on the coast and the locals are very jealous if they think you are parking for free.... But it can be done if you go stealth...
Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
PKI

No, generally, you can not just park anywhere you want to stop. Most places are marked "no overnight parking" and there are just not many Walmarts along the coast. However, a small van RV can be parked like an auto and will generally be ignored unless there is a complaint. A class C is more identifiable as an RV and therefore harder to park in an area where folks have tried to stay for free in the past. Suggest you will have fewer problems if you use an RV campground when you can.

You can park near the beach for the day, but competition for that space will be challenging. Lots of folks drive the PCH1 and like to stop for a view along the way. It's the overnight stay that's the issue.

A 16 day trip with stops for surfing needs to be carefully planned. There is a recent thread you might review. It's the reverse and not surfing oriented, but some info.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/calif...-a-417488.html

Safety - generally, OK. There have been incidents and folks tell stories, but use the principle "if you feel uncomfortable, leave". That is another reason to use an RV campground.

Reservations - most of the coastal campgrounds near major cities will be full. Folks even pay for a week to get the weekend. Should not happen but it does. Do best and accept that in some areas you may need to pass by and move on to a less popular area. Start early in the day and stop early for the night.

Price - no clue on the RV. However, the companies mentioned should get you a good idea of pricing. Overnight stays will vary from $40-75. You can do better, but not on the coast. Ask about fuel economy. It used to be that a class C did not do well. Best to know before you go. Assume $4/gal. Should be less, but not along the coast where transportation is required. Keep the tank filled on less expensive fuel when possible.

I agree that 395 is not a good choice for winter travel. Up the coast and down 101 would be my suggestion. Then you can pop over to the coast again if something was too good to not visit one more time. Besides, the coast will fill that 16 days in a hurry.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just North of Bodega Bay: https://www.sonomacounty.com/lodging.../wrights-beach

Bodega Bay: Doran Regional Park Camping

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like an awful lot to do in a short time. As was said, overnight "parking" can be a problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, travel