Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
New York City

Thanks for all the info about boondocking in New Jersey and New York. Also for referrals for RV parks in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York State. My son lives in Brooklyn - I'm going to be staying in Pennsylvania and I have no desire to take my rig anywhere near New York City. I cannot imagine even driving there! But I have to get there somehow to see my son. Has anyone RV'd up that way and gone into the city? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience, how you went, where you went, etc. Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GM,
Been to NYC several times. If it were me, I'd not drive there at all. I'd take public transportation. Consider contacting the CG where you'll be staying. Ask them how to take public transport from the CG area to NYC. Just about everything ends up at Grand Central Station or the Port Authority Bus Terminal. From there you can see your son and do all the tourist stuff. Some tourist stuff to do:
  • Empire State Bldg.
  • Ground Zero
  • Statue of Liberty
  • Ride the Staten Island Ferry or take a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan Island
  • Carnegie Hall if there are any performances playing.
  • Times Square
  • United Nations
  • Greenwich Village
  • China Town
  • American Museum of Natural History
I could go on and on. There is so much to do. Take some time to define how much time you'll have and what kind of things you would like to see.

Be prepared to spend some $s. Nothing is cheap in NYC.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Three of us RV'ers in our club decided to go to NYC and see the Christmas lights one year. We stayed here:
http://www.libertyharborrv.com/ We have a 40' DP and had no problem getting into the park. It is really a "parking lot" with full hook ups, but very easy to get into NY by taking the water taxi that comes right up to the park and drops you at ground zero. We took the subway everywhere else...and walked alot! But we had the BEST time in the world. When we stepped out of our coach in the morning you could look across the water and see Lady Liberty! I highly recommend this place for the convenience...not the ammenities. The water taxi stops running after a certain hour, but we would take the subway and walk a short distance to the campground. It was often dark when we returned, but there were 6 of us so we felt safe, but I would not do it by myself. Hope this helps.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Thanks!!

Thanks Gary and Glenda - that RV park sounds great - I called to get more info.

I'm so excited!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Living all my life across the Hudson River to NYC Liberty Harbor RV is the only CG within 35 miles of NYC. If you do not stay there I would recommend that you do not drive into NYC, but take public transportation.
You could take buses from the CG area as there is a lot of Park & Ride lots in Northern New Jersey or take your toad to one of the other way into City. New York Waterways has passenger Ferry service from 3-4 locations or the PATH trains.
Until you get to NYC and see just how big and far apart different area are you will realize the Subway or bus system is the best way to get around.
Cheapest way is by bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal mid-town subway station in basement or walk about 2-3 blocks to Times Square. Get a good city map and there is a lot of sight seeing within walking distance of Times Square. Plan ahead see a play or if you walk up Broadway to about 45th St you will see tickets/tickets/tickets a little booth that sells tickets at discount to plays that have not sold out.
Have a great time.
I have a ferry stop at my door step, so we use ferry & subway to get around.
If for some reason you have to go to the outer Boro's you may need a vehicle.
Just make sure you know when services stop at night. Most public transportation back to NJ stops between Mid-Night and 5:00am.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
There are bus tours to the city from the Newburgh KOA. The campground is nice, we stay there when we travel south.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #7

You can also stay at one of the many campgrounds in Long Island.
Then take the train into the city
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't be intimidated by driving in NYC. If you drive a toad and have a GPS, you can navigate to Brooklyn with no problem.

Take the Goethals Bridge to the Verranzano which leads to the BQE. Stay off ANY ROAD that is called a Parkway in NY as there are many low overpasses. Stick with the Expressways. Got that? The watch out for construction on the L.I.E. and tolls on the bridges. If you get to the Throgs Neck, you went too far. Cut around on the Cross Island (if in a toad) or the Clearview if in the RV. Stay off the Southern State as there are too many lights. The Brooklyn Bridge is usually better than the Williamburg but you shouldn't be on either because they lead to Manhattan which is definitely NOT RV friendly. But if your do, take the West Side Highway to the Cross Bronx and then take the Triboro back down and start again.

See? I told you it was easy.

Once in Brooklyn, use your hands to talk and say 'Yo' to match the locals. Call everyone Tony or Sal and you'll be right at least 50% of the time. When driving, many people will point you in the right direction - usually up and with the middle finger! Most people use the F-bomb as an adjective, adverb, conjunction, noun, verb, preposition and a hanging participle. Get ready to wash your ears out with soap after hearing all that.

And taste some real pizza and real bagels. Visit a real Italian bakery.

Have a great time!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Forgetaboutit........that is driving on any of the parkways in Long Island. The LIE is a pain in the neck, but the way to get out on the Island. But, there are not a lot of CG's on Long Island and those that are there are full of local folks.
I refuse to take my rig on the island. The Goethels Bridge is narrow and between it and the Verazzano, you gotta mortgage the rig to pay the tolls, especially when towing. I'm a born and raised Jersey boy and I set the rig up out in northwest Jersey, the KOA over the bridge into Pennsy or use Liberty Harbor CG. Depends on who we want to see or where we want to go. But, to visit Brooklyn, you can't beat Liberty Harbor. Just don't miss the exit or you could end up going thru the Holland Tunnel! Bottom line....I luv the City!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #10

If you have interests in PA and NYC I suggest you look up Mahlon Dickson Preserve in NJ. It is off I-80 half way between PA and NYC. You would still have to rent a car if you are parking a Class A but you would be able to drive a little further east to get on to the Train (PATH) or some of the many regular service bus lines that serve the Metropolitan area. It is a beautiful place and well maintained with electric and water hook up and a dump station. Paved sites with hot showers and more wildlife than you can shake a stick at. Its the only place I have ever had an up close experience with a big black bear. I paid $18.50 a day. Do not under any circumstances drive into NYC. I would only ruin a great experience.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote