Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #15

If looking in the Kissimmee area, tropical palms resort is nice. Lakeland is usually busy and have no room, but check out www.floridastateparks.org you can see what is available. We live here and you can find spots just a matter of what your looking for. As far as PA we are members and most places will not honor during winter months. Good luck and hope you find somewhere.
TTCamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #16

Toadless

Without a toad you will need to rent a car if you want to look for what might become a better long-term location. Choose a central spot (Sebring, perhaps) and do some exploring. Parks are happy to have people stop in and look around. You'll learn a lot about the area as well as the park. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Keep notes

You have come to the right decision. But you can always change your mind. Best advise I can give you is keep notes on where you stay and why you did or did not like it. Sometimes we find ourselves going through an area we have been through and can't recall where we stayed before.

Enjoy!!
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #18

Which campgrounds do you recommend for a 4+ month stay? How expensive is it? Hope you don't mind sharing the info. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment regarding this!
pfrogholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure who you are addressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrogholler View Post
Which campgrounds do you recommend for a 4+ month stay? How expensive is it? Hope you don't mind sharing the info. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment regarding this!
Florida is a huge state. From Pensacola to Key West is over 800 miles. To get the best advice, we need to know what you expect. Cool to just damm hot, beach or forest, rural or metro, hunting/fishing or opera.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Florida Trip

Well, we have been all around Florida from Tallahassee down to Key West and up the east coast to Jacksonville. The most expensive, and warmest and prettiest, is the keys. The rest of Florida is sure worth seeing and will provide lasting memories. You can go the State park way to keep your expenses down or go the resort way, or combination of both. We have relied mostly on the campground ratings provided by Woodalls and those you find on the internet. When you come across a place you like, stay a few days. If you don't like it for some reason, move on. Other than the Keys, we made no reservations and NEVER were turned away from a campground. Hope this helps. Happy travels
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Trip report!!!!

Wow, We are having a blast on our maiden voyage! The Wife and I and our pup Pixie are getting into the rv lifestyle.

We left NJ and headed South thru Delaware and Maryland and joined I-95 just North of Richmond Va. Stayed over in a Flying J, scored some 2.99 gas and a breakfast at Denny's.

Then down to South Ga and stopped at another Flying J for the night.
Upon entering Florida we headed West as the plan was to visit the Panhandle.
First stop was Suwannee River SP for a couple of days. Although the weather had been pleasantly in the upper 70s, a cold front was pushing into North Florida.
Next still heading West we stopped at Florida Caverns Sp. By now the weather was down right cold. It was Thanksgiving and I could not believe how many folks were camping. We took the guided cavern tour, then had a sit down and changed out itinerary.
It was time to head South. We stayed a couple nights at Harts Spring a county park. We met a family who has done a reunion at the campground every Thanksgiving for the past 30 years. They take 8 sites have all kinds of rvs and set up a huge big top tent for their Thanksgiving Feast. Amazing group of folks.
We are now in Williston Crossings, we picked up a 7 night special for 99. bucks for first time visitors. Nice clean place, people seem to take pride in their snowbird hangout.
Next week it is down to the Keys, we got lucky and booked 3 nights in Bahia Honda, and 2 more in Long Key.
Then start back North to 3 nights in Hobe Sound and Finally another 3 nights in Sebastian Inlet State Park.

So far our new to us
Winnebago has gone 1500 miles with no issues. I am getting use to driving it and backing into campsites.

The Wife is happy and considering doing at least 2 months next Winter.

Pixie loves it, she is the center of attention and every few days she has a different view out the window.

I now understand how cool it is to go to so many different places and still feel at home. Nothing better than sleeping in your own bed.

Thats all for now---- John-- Miri-- Pixie
Islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #22

That's a great trip report! I'm glad ya'll are having such a great time. Once you're hooked on RVing, it's hard to stay home. Consider joining PassPort America ,since individual parks are operated as such, they all have different rules for the discount and length of stay. Snowbird areas normally suspend the PPA discount for the season, otherwise you recoup the expense of joining in just a few days staying at PPA parks. Mater of fact, now they have a $44 special for joining.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #23

Nice trip report John. Thanks
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
John, glad youall are enjoying the lifestyle!!! Great trip report. Put a smile on my face as I read it.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
John,Miri and Pixie

Glad I saw your post as we are planing on and will be our first year heading So. as snobirds and I hope soon -10 this morning. I have decided that we are going to take the Toad. We are going to start out going to Quartzite Az first and work our way back as the weather warms. We have both been to Fl several times but not in a MH maybe next year.
We are nervous about going but if we do have troubles we will have the toad and hopefully be in a warmer place than here!!! Did you guys just drive then look for a overnight-er or did you look up places before you left the S&B? How many miles a day did you drive? I am thinking 3-400 miles per day.
Great write up and interesting read. Thank you,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #26

just before florida border is St Marys Ga, they have a nice historic district with a number of nice places to eat AND they allow Rv's to park overnight down by the NationParkService area. Good for an over night stay

Tags
florida