Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Newbe going to Florida

Hi, The DW and I just bought a 30' 2003 Minnie Winnie. Will try camping in the driveway and traveling around home (NJ), but thinking of heading to Florida for Dec, Jan, and Feb. 2014. Thinking of taking a few days to head down and hit some campgrounds on the way.

Right now I am overwhelmed looking at places to stay, I also realize the good ones have probably been booked months or years in advance.

What I do not understand is do most people go to one CG and stay for 3 months or do they go one month here and another month somewhere else.

If I book something for Dec and get down there what are the chances of getting something for Jan and Feb?

Maybe I should join Passport America and just bounce around in Jan and Feb to see if I like someplace for next year.

I will not have a toad.

Any suggestions on where to go? How to be a Snow Bird?

Thanks John
Islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

We jumped around when we first started going down 5 years ago. After 3 years of learning we now stay at the same park for 4 months!
We found out the hard way its more economical to stay by the month and not by the week!
By the way, we started out with a travel trailer, then a Class C, now we have a Class A. Have fun, its great to be retired and winter in Florida!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
After 3 years of learning we now stay at the same park for 4 months!
Have fun, its great to be retired and winter in Florida!

Stano [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply-- where do you stay? John
Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We always stay 4-5 months in the same place (after we found a nice one). After 6 yrs in Central Florida, we headed to and are now in AZ. Plenty of places in central Florida all winter long. Much cheaper by the month and most have more discounts for 3+ months. Going to So Florida is a bit different and usually more expensive. Forget the Keys without reservations.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #5

Well...a couple of years ago we went to Florida and hated staying a month at a time to get the reservations and to be economical. We got the economical central Florida park at a fish camp and patrons felt they could park under our awning out of the sun!!! And knock and ask "what do you eat"?

We have a home park (more like a field) in North Georgia and it suits us but it gets mighty chilly, 28F for four hours last night, so we're primed for rolling out somewhere warmer.

So...although monthl y or quarterly rent is so much less expensive, is it really worth enduring the time? We've decided that the price break isn't worth it, and we'll see how that turns out.
johnhicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

If you're planning three months without a toad you probably should look for a park that is within walking distance to groceries, etc. Disconnecting your hookups and driving to shop, restaurants or siteseeing will get old fast. Why not a toad?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgypsy View Post

I will not have a toad.

Any suggestions on where to go? How to be a Snow Bird?

Thanks John
No toad will severly limit where you may want to stay. Do you have a transportation plan? Rent a car, public transportation, bicycle, walk????

I live in north central Florida. Could give suggestions if I knew more about what you want to do and how you intend to do it.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any social or fraternal organizations (VFW, Elks, Amer Legion, etc) that you belong to are potential places for overnight and weekend rest stops at little to no cost.
For Free Florida camping, check out:
Florida RV Camping And Campgrounds
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Smile Going to florida

Hi Islandgypsy, We did what your asking about for ten yrs and you will have to find out what suits your fancies as you travel south. Its interesting to see different places along the way. we left Mass, the day after xmas and returned 4/1 and went down the east coast then over alligator alley to Naples then up the west coast then worked our way home. We found some nice rv parks along the way and we didn't make reservations the first few yrs. Try to wing it at first is my advice and you will find out what and where you are comfortable. welcome to the forum and you will get many ideas from the people here. good luck. paul...
pjkellrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
If I wanted to stay in one location every year I would not have a MH, I would own a second home. However there are positives to staying in one place for the whole winter. We have made many friends from spending the winter in one spot. Seeing the same people for a few months, a freindship has time to build where stopping for a short time one tends to nod hello and go on about their business. Many parks will have golf leagues or bowling, shuffleboard, card leagues, etc. It is hard to join in on the fun if you are driving off in a few days. Most parks offer discounts for longer stays as well. I suggest that staying in one area this winter and another next will allow you to enjoy community and also let you to see everything a spot has to offer as well as what is there to be seen along the trip to and from.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you cross the FL border stop at the first visitors information bureau and ask for a map of the Must See places of Florida. Ever swim wwim manatees or watch the Blue Angels take off and land at your feet? Visit a circus museum or dine at the Murry Bros Caddy Shack Restaurant? And Key West is worth the drive and warmer than the main land.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #12

Last winter, we spent 7 weeks in Florida. We stayed in national park, national forest, and state park campgrounds in southern Florida and in the panhandle. We moved about once a week and never made a single reservation. There was one state park that we couldn't get into, but otherwise, we never had a problem.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe I should join Passport America and just bounce around in Jan and Feb to see if I like someplace for next year.
Using a Passport America in Florida is best to use the months of April- Nov.
Very few allow PA in the prime season.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
So much good advice, Think we will wing it for about a month or so and see how that goes. DW not sure of staying all Winter so we might cut it short and do more next Winter.

Think we will just sort of ease into it.

Thanks John

Tags
florida